RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Documentation

Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 PM
P. Winters
My Feedback: (240)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Documentation

Guys,

Would anyone one be willing to share your scale documentation packet with me? Im entering my first scale contest that requires documentation, and would love to look at anyones successful documentation.

Many thanks!

Patrick
Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Patrick,

If you would like to shoot me an email at cwveich@cwvmodels.com I would be happy to send you a PDF copy of the documentation packet for my Hellcat. It has seen four contests thus far and the judges seem to be satisfied with it. I've received several positive comments and no complaints that I can recall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HEMET.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	2250485  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:13 AM
OldScaleGuy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Something else you may want to do is sign up at RC Scale Builder (if you are not already) there you will find a tutorial on putting together a documentation package.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DocumentingYourModel.pdf
Views:	15
Size:	938.3 KB
ID:	2250513
Old 02-09-2018, 04:48 AM
rcphotog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Patrick,
... and welcome to the - "scale-competition-brotherhood"!

As you peruse through examples of scale documentation books by other modelers, keep in mind that each one is specific to a particular plane and also compiled
by modelers of various skill levels. No two are alike. Over time, and probably after a few contests, you will find what works best for you and your particular model.
You will find that most documentation practices are shared by the various organizations like the AMA's NASA group, U.S. Scale Masters, Top Gun and even FAI.

First step is, of course, to construct the model to match your full-scale prototype in every detail possible using the most accurate drawings and photos that you can
gather.

If 3-view drawings are to be used during construction, it is your responsibility to insure accuracy of those drawings by careful comparison to photos and whenever
possible, measurements of the prototype aircraft.
"IF" you include 3-view drawings in your documentation (3-view drawings ARE NOT REQUIRED under USSMA guidelines) you must point out any
inaccuracies of those drawings to the judges by way of "highlighted" markings. Remember you can not talk to the judges after judging begins.
-Photos ALWAYS take precedence over drawings and artwork.*
-*you may use published artwork such as plastic model box-top art or historical documentation artwork to document - outline and color & markings.
...however, once again, it is your responsibility to confirm the accuracy of the artwork. Make sure the plane in the artwork is the exact plane that you
built. If there are any differences such as variations of engines and cowlings or location / position of antennas or guns then it's up to you to call them out.

-Remember: the judges are tasked to (and must) only compare your model to the documentation that YOU provide. They are not allowed to rely on their
own personal knowledge of the airplane type which you present even if they own a full size. You may compete with a J-3 or PT-17 and a judge might own
the "real thing". He must forget what he knows about it and only look at your model and docs.

-Watch and learn: you will have lots of opportunities to observe other contestants. Ask questions. Most pilots will share their experiences with you.
-Ask for a critique of your documentation book by other expert modelers and the judges after the static portion is over.
-Do not fall into the trap: "less is more" when deciding which photos to use. Some tend to "walk-a-fine-line" between showing "too much" and not enough.
... keep in mind that you can loose points for "insufficient proof". For example: in USSMA, you can loose all five points under the subcategory for landing
gear if you do not have any drawings or photos that clearly show the landing gear.
Builders that have something to hide are the ones that don't want to "show too much" to the judges for fear of revealing a minor mismatch.
-In USSMA the maximum point deduct for a single mismatch is ONE point. If the mismatch is minor but more than 10% out of scale then the judge
can deduct either a 1/4 or 1/2 point depending on severity.

-Do not rely on the 3-views only. They are almost always inaccurate in some way.
-You will need ample "proof" for all categories: OUTLINE, COLOR & MARKINGS and CRAFTSMANSHIP. As well as subgroups: wings, fuse, tail-group
and landing gear.
-Put your judges hat on and judge your own model using your documentation book for preparation.

When I judge a model, I'm thinking: "show me why you did it that way", "why did you place rivets there instead of Dzus fasteners", "why did you make
those panel lines a butt-joint and not overlap". "why are your nav-lights not matching YOUR documentation". Those are examples of actual mismatches
that I found while judging for Craftsmanship.

-Read the rules / quidelines for BOTH contestants AND judges. Know what the judges are trained to look for. If you just do that one simple thing, then you
will be leagues ahead of the competition.

-My personal recommendation - divide your documentation book into three sections. One for each judge. You do not want the judges to share photos or
drawings. And you do not want the judges to talk to each other - EXCEPT to prevent duplicate down grades for the same mismatch. It can happen.
-Give each judge ample photos: side views, left and right, top and bottom (when possible) and head on view. I've seen too many pilots only give the OUTLINE
judge a single profile drawing or at best a 3-view. Remember, you can't judge a three-dimensional object from a two-dimensional line drawing. Give him
photos also if you have them. You can give copies of the same photos to each judge.

-Remember too that the judges only have 8 minutes to look over your model. You will find over time that your model will score different at other contests, even
by the same judges. The same judge can judge your model at different times and find something different to deduct points for each time.

-As contestants and judges, we hope that the judging is always fair and consistent.
-Judges can and sometimes do make mistakes. Don't be afraid to speak up if you feel you were incorrectly down graded.

Best of Luck to you!
...and remember to have fun!

Competition, of any kind, makes us better. You will find that your flying will greatly improve after a couple contests. You will fly with purpose instead
of just boring holes in the sky. :-)

Ken
ps; sorry for the long reply. I sincerely hope you enjoy your first contest and whatever happens, continue with it down the road. Iv'e been in this hobby
since 1977 and found that I have the most fun during a contest.

Last edited by rcphotog; 02-09-2018 at 06:05 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-09-2018, 09:24 AM
P. Winters
My Feedback: (240)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks so much! This is all great information. I really appreciate your help! Patrick