Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 1.20 PT-19 Story

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hanger 9 1.20 PT-19 Story

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hanger 9 1.20 PT-19 Story

Several years ago I acquired a Hanger 9 1.20 PT-19 sometime after they had been discontinued. The owner had won it at a fun fly raffle but as it was not in his interest area had no plans to build it and after holding it several years, traded to me for some sail boat stuff.

I had a NIB Enya 120 four stroke suitable for it and fitted it to the build.

The plane had some landing strut mounting issues that had given it a poor reputation. My left gear mounting block was loose by the second flight with good cause as the hardwood gear block was simply glued to two balsa ribs. The fix was not difficult and was effected simply by removing the hardwood block and fitting in two false ribs made from aircraft grade plywood and gluing them and the hardwood block adequately. The repair was made through the hardwood block opening and so didn't even require any re-sheeting or covering repair of the wing.

A couple of years later the right wing block loosened and it similarly repaired though in this wing there were light play false ribs but not difficult to remove because of minimal glue.

My reason for reporting this is not to bring any one up to speed on the repairs, this plane has been out of production a long time and those still flying will undoubtedly have been repaired, but rather to make the point that sometimes a plane will get a bad rap because of some issue and possibly be given up on or overlooked as a good choice. Once the gear block issue was resolved, this plane has been a wonderful flier.

It is the only plane I've owned that will fairly consistently do lumcevaks or at least that I've been able to make do them. Yesterday at our Tuesday session of Fossil Fliers, we had the occasional nice winter day and it was my good fortune to crank out one of he prettiest four tumble lumcevaks with wings nearly level to the horizon.

For those fortunate enough to still own one of these, they are a treasure.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10700.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1564790  
Old 02-10-2018, 05:34 PM
ScaleRCpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to agree my H9 PT-19 is a really great flying plane and so far no problems with the gear blocks. I added robart struts to it and they work very well!
Pictures of it at the Gonzales Tx airport a few years back on in my gallery. Mine is powered by a Zenoah G-23 guided by Futaba. Currently I am adding flaps with robart external hinge points to replicate the full scale.
I am also going to recover the wing with Coverite 21st Century fabric, the fuse will get the same treatment. I will try to post a picture when I finish it!
SR/CP