Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

New 20cc DHC-2 Beaver

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New 20cc DHC-2 Beaver

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 20cc DHC-2 Beaver

Here's a project I've been working on for the last 16 months or so. First flight was a couple weeks ago on Saturday May 5th, and I still have a buzz since it went so well!

A little background if you don't know me. I worked at Horizon until almost 3 years ago, leading the Air Category product development team with David Ribbe. Took some time off after that, did some unsuccessful job hunting, then decided to start my own kit company. This will be my first product, but realistically it's still several months out from the market as I get the production plans in order. Since I'm so far away from having kits available, this isn't really a commercial announcement, it's just an insight into what I'm working on.

I wanted to do a project with fairly broad appeal that wasn't a Cub or a Mustang. I also want to focus on sizes that already have a large install base of engines & electric motors, which to me appears to be 20cc at the smaller size and 60cc at the larger size.

So I started with the DHC-2 Beaver at 1/6.3 scale for 20cc. It works out to a 91.4" span, which qualifies it as a giant scale airplane. 904 sq. in., 12 lbs for this first prototype. E-flite Power 60 400Kv on 6S 5000, but the next will use a DLE-20.

I worked from the original factory blueprints, so it's 100% scale. Development took a bit longer as I was learning Fusion360, my CAD program, while designing the airplane at the same time. Working in 3D is pretty involved, but it lets you guarantee the parts fit properly, especially the plastic and fiberglass parts.

I was pleasantly surprised the first prototype only required 3oz. of lead in the cowl to balance, and that's even debatable. The stall characteristics are so benign it's like a ParkZone plane or an E-flite Apprentice! I still have to explore the cg range.

Looking forward to reading your comments!

Links to YouTube flight videos following.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 AM
CF105

So that’s the mystery project! Was hoping for a warbird, but the beaver is a good GA choice. Like the size too. The previous H9 P-47 sold me on the ~20cc size planes. Big enough to have good presence in the air, yet small enough to be transportable without a trailer.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM
MaxSouthoz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck with your venture, David.

The Beaver looks good in the air.

Cheers
Max
Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Will it be a kit or ARF?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 AM
David Eichstedt

Originally Posted by Steve Percifield
Will it be a kit or ARF?
Kit - you get to build it. I used builder-friendly design features to make it easier to put together. Fuselage has tab-and-slot construction, airfoil is flat from the spar back, stab attaches as a traditional wing saddle.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by David Eichstedt

Kit - you get to build it. I used builder-friendly design features to make it easier to put together. Fuselage has tab-and-slot construction, airfoil is flat from the spar back, stab attaches as a traditional wing saddle.
Great, Put me on the list!! Mine will be gas though!
steve
Old 05-23-2018, 05:59 PM
David Eichstedt

Originally Posted by Steve Percifield
Great, Put me on the list!! Mine will be gas though!
steve
Awesome! And I hear you. DLE-20 going in the next prototype.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 PM
David Eichstedt

Got 7 flights in today, including a flight by Ali Machinchy to gather his comments (he liked it!).

On three consecutive flights, I removed an ounce of lead from the nose and carefully repeated the stall testing. Great news - I don't need to put any weight back! She has a wide cg envelope while still maintaining reasonable stall characteristics. At the current cg, which is about 34% MAC, it still has a gentle stall. Compared to 30%-31%, where I could almost never get a wing to drop, at 34% you will see a wing drop about 30% of the time. Usually it's when holding full up to induce a stall, then continuing to hold as it tries to recover, thus forcing another stall. It's at this second stall where the wing drops, but then it's still benign. She changes heading about 90°, dips gently and recovers back to level in 20' of altitude or so.

I did have a gust tip her up on a wingtip during a rollout toward the end of the day. The stab made contact with the ground, and appears to have suffered a little damage. I'm going to add a little reinforcement there in the form of either a couple small stringers or a second spar. My philosophy is to design to fly, not crash, but she still needs to be able to withstand this level of knocking about to handle real life.

Michael Selig came out again and captured a bunch of video in 4K, so you can look for that soon. I'll post it when he has it processed, a process which takes a lot longer to do in 4K when compared to 1080p.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 AM
ampeater
My Feedback: (1)

Beautiful and the perfect size, I'm in as soon as available! Def gonna put floats on it. Keep us posted when we can buy one.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:39 PM
David Eichstedt

After checking out the damage, it doesn't look like a new spar or stringer will be needed in the stab. Instead, I thickened-up the root rib so the sheeting has more meat to glue onto. That should do it.

All repaired and ready to fly again!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 AM
David Eichstedt

Here's the video from Ali's flight:

Last edited by IBJoel; 01-15-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:46 AM
alex5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the misumi aluminum angle brackets,you could actually re-create the flexible landing gear,which were remove-able for float installation.All you do is create the hard mount points on the fuselage...then,you have scale construction.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:10 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see kit version at a reasonable size, not too small nor too big and not another of those horrible foamys that seem to be all over the place. I checked the Hostetler versions and felt they were a bit too big for my building table/shop and another new kit company makes on that is a bit too small.
So, any news on this kit?
Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 AM
jtisch

Would love to see one on floats!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 PM
David Eichstedt

Work continues. I'm currently building the second prototype to test it on DLE-20 power, should be done this month.

At this time I'm expecting kits to be available around Christmastime.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 AM
David Eichstedt

I have exciting news to share: I am now accepting pre-orders for the 20cc DHC-2 Beaver kit! The time has come for me to place the first order with the manufacturer, so I've launched a pre-order campaign to help raise funds to get this project moving.

There are two pre-order bonuses. First, shipping will be free! Second, I'm including a DHC-2 Beaver ceramic coffee mug with each kit ordered. At this time I expect kits to ship in the Jan/Feb time frame. Check out my page on fundable.com below and secure your Beaver kit today!

https://www.fundable.com/moustache-model-works-llc
Old 10-16-2018, 04:59 PM
bunsen

Looking forward to having kits available. Hoping to find a DLE20RA in my Christmas stocking.

Ray
Old 10-23-2018, 07:40 AM
David Eichstedt

We're down to the last day of pre-orders for the 20cc Beaver kit. Pre-orders will wrap-up about noon CDT tomorrow, so we have just over 25 hours left. If you've been waiting for the last moment to order, now is the time to jump in!

Pre-order gets free shipping, plus a nice ceramic Beaver coffee mug. During this campaign, we've also received word that the factory made an error in pricing the kit, so there's a possibility the final price will be higher than $319 (impact not yet certain). We will honor the $319 price for all pre-orders placed during this campaign, so ordering now will also lock in that price.

https://www.fundable.com/moustache-model-works-llc

Vacuum-formed rudder fairing for light weight.

Landing gear mounding screws easily accessed through the hatch.

Door handle is a 4-40 pushrod, two lock nuts, and a bit of heat-shrink tubing.

Large hatch makes it easy to swap batteries or access the fuel tank.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM
David Eichstedt

At long last, the Beaver kits are on the water, set to arrive in early August!

And, our website is live at: https://www.moustachemodelworks.com/

We've opened up the website for ordering the Beaver, so you can place backorders now. There are no special deals for backordering, just that your kit will ship out as soon as the stock arrives.

Thanks for hanging with us through this loooooong process!

Also, prototype #2 in an Army scheme and featuring a DLE-20 flew a number of weeks ago. She also took 3rd Place in Military Sport Scale at Toledo!

David

Old 07-23-2019, 12:42 PM
David Eichstedt

Here are a couple nice shots of Beaver #1 at the Indiana Warbird Campaign last year, by Mike Cole.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:10 PM
David Eichstedt

Default Beaver Kits Shipping!

It's been a long haul, but the DHC-2 Beaver kits are finally in stock and shipping! All the pre-orders have shipped and there are plenty left on www.moustachemodelworks.com

Army U-6A Beaver in flight at Warbirds & Classics Over the Midwest in Fond du Lac, WI, Aug 2019. DLE-20 for power.

Chris Kramer after flying the Army Beaver at Fond du Lac. He's now the proud owner of a kit!

Warbird buddy Chris Mayer picking up his pre-order at Fond du Lac.

Former Horizon Hobby co-worker and master chef Pete Bergstrom receiving his pre-order. Pete hasn't built since 2007, so he's looking forward to making some dust!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:23 PM
David Eichstedt

Thanks to Andy Gideon, here’s the first video footage of the Army Beaver! Just some relaxed flying around the pattern with a touch & go and a landing at the end.

This is with a DLE-20 that’s still not quite tuned to peak yet. I never went over 60% throttle during the flight, and spent most of it at 40%-50% throttle.

Beaver footage begins at 56:55.

Last edited by IBJoel; 01-15-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:20 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just received my kit. I am impressed with the completeness and quality. I'm thinking I will go with a Saito 1.15 should only stick out of the bottom a little.

Thanks for producing a fine product.

Dave
Old 09-05-2019, 09:10 AM
David Eichstedt

Thanks! Saito 115 should be good power for it.

Originally Posted by c550
Just received my kit. I am impressed with the completeness and quality. I'm thinking I will go with a Saito 1.15 should only stick out of the bottom a little.

Thanks for producing a fine product.

Dave
Old 01-10-2020, 01:04 PM
David Eichstedt

Fitz Walker is reviewing the Beaver in the February issue of Model Aviation. Earlier this week they posted some flight video of the review model.

Fitz did a great job on the build, and he completed it in record time! He chose the RCGF 20cc, which as you'll see in the video has plenty of power, even before being fully broken-in:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.