Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Recommending competitive stand off scale kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Recommending competitive stand off scale kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:16 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recommending competitive stand off scale kit?

Lookig for a civilian kit I can use to get into competition. Not a Cub or warbird. Pretty fair skilled. What would YOU build?
TIA
Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Flying Models plans. Dan
Old 11-18-2018, 05:00 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by cjtyped
Lookig for a civilian kit I can use to get into competition. Not a Cub or warbird. Pretty fair skilled. What would YOU build?
TIA
What happened to the RF-4?
"Pretty fair skilled" at what? Building? Flying or both?
Assuming both, what size model you looking for? I don't see many civilian types until you get to the 1/4 scale and bigger.

For stand off I'd recommend the Blasa USA Citabria Pro as one option. For starters, it's available. Citabria Pro Only one full size Pro was ever built. So you're pretty limited in color schemes. But it's a nice build and easy flyer with full aerobatic potential. 80 inch wing and comes in around 11 pounds. Glass cowl and pants are available. I fly mine with an Enya 1.20. Perfect match. And it's not one you see at every flying field.

Going bigger I'd suggest Wendel Hostetler plans. He has just released his new Super Chipmunk that is just super sexy. Hostetler Plans Wendel will print his plans to any scale you want. Of course that then means you have to cut your own kit. Full and short kits are available for his regular advertised sizes and even glass fuselages for a couple. Glass cowls, pants and machined landing gear are also available. Subjects range from classics 1930's to modern general aviation. I am currently collecting the pieces to build a Piper Cherokee from his plans.

Top Flight has had a few civilian over the years but their availability right now is sketchy at best. They had a Cherokee Arrow but their Bonanza has been very popular. But last I knew they were out of production so you'd have to do an e-bay search to find one.

Sig has a few civilian types but I'm not sure what their availability is. Sig Mfg Their Spacewalker has always been a favorite as is the Smith Mini Plane. You could also do a regular Citabria but it may be too Cub like for you. Though it is a fun plane to fly and does well is contests.

Check some of the others out there too. I PM'd you a web site the other day that should prove very helpful in your quest. I for one like the selection Hostetler has. I'd like to build most of his offerings should time permit.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Balsa USA has several larger scale offerings. https://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/1472.htm

Hostetler and Bates offer several plan sets for interesting subjects. Wood kits are available from National Balsa. https://www.nationalbalsa.com/Kits_s/238.htm

https://www.jbplans.com/
Wendell Hostetler Plans
Old 11-18-2018, 06:17 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Competition stand-off scale? What's the point?
Old 11-20-2018, 01:45 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Originally Posted by cjtyped
TIA
First of all, you are barking up the wrong tree. It doesn't matter a hoot what I or anyone else would build or fly. So don't ask us.

What do you like to fly? What do you want to build?

My best advice concerning how to get into competition, is to grab anything you have in your hanger that could qualify (resembles) a scale model and enter a Fun Scale event at the next Scale Contest that is close to you. Read the rule book (found on the AMA web site). Then go fly in the contest, talk to the contestants and make up your own mind on what to build and fly.

Getting started in scale competition can be discussed till the cows come home and nothing will be accomplished. But actually flying at an event will get you somewhere.

Just my 2 cents worth. My only regret was that I waited far too long before beginning competition.

Cheers and good luck at your next contest!

Respectfully,
Art Shelton
AMA # 44223
Old 11-25-2018, 10:41 AM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

R/C Art has a good point about jumping in and getting your feet wet. I did my first Senior Pattern event in August and although precision aerobatics isn't my primary interest it was a lot of fun. They had an introductory level that allowed you to fly whatever you had within the proscribed engine limits. As Art notes going through the process that first time is very educational in terms of learning what you want to build. I am currently building an old J Roberts Stinson SR-6. Back in the day one of the magazines gave it their scale kit of the year award. In the days before 1/4 scale was a common thing it would have been a serious competitor despite being a .40 size airplane. This airplane was a very well made kit. It's an interesting airplane with enough room in the fuselage to build in a detailed interior. So in answer to your question what I would build is a high wing monoplane from the 30's or 40's. They tend to be relatively straightforward construction and it is even possible to find a full size survivor to copy. You probably wont find what you are looking for on the shelves of the LHS but as a couple of folks above have pointed out there are still kits out there in current production. A third option is a short kit from one of the kit cutters. As far as what kit we would build, you will probably get as many answers as there are respondents. I would suggest that you make a list of planes that you feel passion about. I know that I am a lot more likely to put the effort into a plane that interests me. In terms of airplanes where you might actually find a kit, that trims down the list to Stinsons and Monocoupes in my particular case. As I sit here, it occurs to me that the question is really too broad. Answers could range from a 1/2a Bonanza up to a 50% scale Citabra. So in terms of making a successful choice I would suggest narrowing your parameters. Things like budget and ability to haul a big airplane around are certainly limiting factors for me. After all of that ramble I have to go with the line that it is more important to get out there and participate rather than spending too much time trying to pick just the right airplane.