Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Sig cub covering problem.

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Sig cub covering problem.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Eddym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig cub covering problem.

I have Sig 1/4 scale cub. I purchased it at an auction I believe it is covered in 21st century fabric. I have had the aircraft for 4 years and noticed a red staining that has been progressively getting worse over time. It had no staining when I got it. If so meone knows what it is please reply. I do not mind if I have to live with it. It is a great flying airplane.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:18 PM
z-rc135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can easily recover it simply buy a covering iron and covering from your local hobby shop. that way if you wanted to give it a all new look you can or can keep the same color scheme if you wanted. i would suggest ultra kote as it will hold up to the weather best but if its too expensive i think monokote is cheaper. and you wont have to live with those red spots. their may be something under the covering so it may be a good idea to remove it anyway. it may also be mold or mildew i dont know if covering would mold red, but you would also smell if it was moldy or mildewy. i dont know what you can do about the lettering if its separate from the covering thats on there you might be able to save it. you might also be able to have someone make a vinyl wrap for the lettering.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:39 PM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could it possibly be red primer or Bondo underneath that starting to show through?
Old 08-29-2019, 08:31 AM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kinda gives it that used, vintage patina look
Old 09-05-2019, 09:21 AM
carlgrover

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tubig
Could it possibly be red primer or Bondo underneath that starting to show through?
That's probably what it is.

If it were mine I'd just fly it.

carl
Old 09-17-2019, 12:25 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a cub covered w 21st century fabric, its 28 year old and 4 years ago it was looking pretty ratty. the paint had oxidized and just looked dirty, looks like you have some mold in there to (just a guess). anyway I tried several different reducers under the hori stab and finally settled on monokote trim solvent (MTS). MTS dissolves the paint so if you spend to much time in one area you will expose the fabric or glue your rag to the covering.

I would wet viva paper towels and just wipe the surface. some times I had to make a few passes to get it clean. the key is to only liquify the outer layer and remove it. the MTS acts fast and evaporates quick, so it took little time to clean her up. maybe and hr.

Joe