Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What Size Stearman for Saito 5 cyl. Radial?

I'm getting back into RC after a couple of year lay-off. I got a good deal on an almost new Saito 5 cylinder radial engine from a friend. I want to put it on the front of a Stearman, but I'm not sure what size plane would be best. I've got plans for the Ziroli (77" version) Stearman. Would this be the right size, or would the Saito handle the larger Ziroli (87" version)? How about the Flair kit? I think it is 89". Any pros-cons to any of these Stearman plans/kit would be appreciated also.

Thanks!
    Martin
    AMA: 240487

\"I don\'t chew my cabbage twice\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What Size Stearman for Saito 5 cyl. Radial?

Ernest. why don't you measure your engine and compare that to the full size engine. That will tell you the scale you need to work in. Flair and Ziroli are both good flying planes..The Flair is a very complete kit.. Plenty of kit cutters to cut you a ziroli kit as well. Regards BobH.
    BobH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Were I you, I'd get the Flair kit...very scale and looks easier to build than the Ziroli due to the complete kit concept, CAD design and CNC/laser cutting. I have the 77 inch Ziroli and it is too small for the big Saito's displacement. Also, I spent a long time making the Ziroli scale. I've heard that his newer 87 inch is closer to scale but as long as there is a kit available with all the goodies included, why scratch build? That Saito is much better in a 1/4 scale Stearman.

Yak
    The Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you.

—Max Stanley, Northrop test pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew a 77 inch Ziroli Stearman PT-17 for years behind a Quadra 52XL turning a 20x8 prop. If the Saito is around the same power output it would be over powered but would look great! I flew all the time at 1/2 to 1/3 throttle. That 5-cylinder Saito would look great ! Also many of the these Stearmans were powered by the OS 5-cylinder radial but I think is is smaller in displacement.
    the big 89 inch Stearmans are flying with everything from G-62s to Robart 7 cylinder radials!
    GY
    Gerry Yarrish, Senior Technical Editor, Model Airplane News & Electric Flight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Saito 5-Cyl Radial and the Flair Stearman Kit. Have the tail feathers done and am gearing up for the serious construction starting over Thanksgiving holiday. The physical size of the radial match the front of the Stearman very well. Don't remember the exact measurements but the cylinders will just extend a tad beyond the round front which will work well. In fact, I had asked some questions about this combo before I got the kit and was told by Flair that at that time (last fall) there was a person in England flying this combo and it did very well. I am looking forward to finishing mine this winter.

Only thing I am going to do is add a little beef to the firewall area (might not need it but better safe than sorry). I think the prototype was test flown in England with the laser 150 and the specs call for a 1.20 minimum to a 1.80. So, I will add some beef.

By the way, the kit is totally complete and it is truely a builders kit - more along the lines of the original Proctor's. Lots of parts and pieces but every part and piece appears to have a function. All top quality as far as I can tell. Including the "spring-in-a-tube" landing gear.

My opinion..

Dan
    Dan Taylor
    American Turf Flyers, Inc.
    Broken Arrow, OK
    (Somewhere near Tulsa)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's no such thing as OVER POWERED when it comes to BIG Stearman and radials!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30797.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	78497  
    Real airplanes have 2-wings and round engines!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom:

How do you like the Robart engine?

Bill.
    Real Airplanes have Two Engines
    AMA 25139 - More than 40 years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I LOVE IT!

I had the Saito 5-Cylinder before I bought this one. The Saito's a really nice engine, though it can't compare in scale appearance to the Robart R780. On an airplane like the PT-17 Stearman the engine is the out there for all to see. The proportion of the crankcase to cylinder size on the Saito and OS products are way off. Not to mention that they are missing 2-cylinders which makes them look a little like a plucked chicken compared to the R780.

I did have some issues keeping all of the cylinders lit on the Saito. Some of them would occasionally drop out at higher RPM when the GLOW was off. No such issue with the Robart. Once they all fire up they stay lit. I had the GLOW turning off at 1/3 throttle on both engines. The R780 actually runs much worse at higher RPM if the GLOW is left on. It doesn't want it or need it at high RPM.

I bought the BIG Sullivan starter on Robarts recommendation. It has more than enough torque to get it going. It usually takes one quick hit and boom it's running. It will idle down to around 1200rpm and just sit there all day. It really sounds incredible at idle!

However good anyone thinks the OS or Saito radial engines sound, they cannot compare to the sound of the R780. At idle it sounds almost exactly like the big RCS 5-cylinder gas engine. Play the short video of the RCS engine at RC Showcase website and you will see what I mean.

I don't know why Robart doesn't have their own video of the R780 running on a test stand. That would be enough to push many more of us over the edge!

Startup Picture During Early Test Flight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38242.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	78593  
    Real airplanes have 2-wings and round engines!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yak 18did you build the 77 inch ziroli stearman yourself? if so, could I ask you a few questions about the build?I am building same plane as my first non kit project and have 2 questions. did you glass bottom wing halfs together?no glass shown on plans but never built a plane that didn't have it. also, how did you make hole for wing dowl to mate with?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thw Saito 325 is around a 45 gas engine,I had the same problem with a Nieuport 27,ones to big,and the other is to small.I ended up scaling up the smaller set of plans to 29%.Jeffo