Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Eastbourne Monoplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Eastbourne Monoplane

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
andrew_perry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastbourne Monoplane

Does anyone have photographs or technical information for the Eastbourne Monoplane?
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:33 PM
The PIPE

Default The OCT. 1980 AMA mag has it...

Dear Andrew Perry:

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN...and plans ARE available for a VERY ACCURATE Free Flight SCALE model of this interesting Pioneer plane!

The OCTOBER 1980 issue of Model Aviation, the AMA national magazine, has the article you were looking for...the PLANS available there build up a Free Flight version of it in an ODDBALL scale of 1/8.73, which in the metric scale would be about a 11.46 mm = 1 meter scale size.

The article is on pages 45 through 49 of that particular issue...and you can use the "AMA Members Only" section of the AMA website to view this article at the main AMA page (there IS a "Members Only" item in the left hand menu there) in the SCANNED copies of past issues of Model Aviation!

If you're interested in purchasing the PLANS for that Free Flight version of the Eastbourne, the AMA website page at http://www.modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/plans80.asp shows them available as plan set no. 315, for only $3.75 (I do NOT know if that includes the postage to send it to you or not)...and then you can scale those plans UP to whatever size you've thought of building it in!

ONE key idea here...if you're considering powering it with the same arrangement of THREE CYLINDER RADIAL engine as the original had, well, SAITO, with a TRIO of three cylinder radials in its engine line, HAS YOU COVERED...a 90 at http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...prod=SAIE090R3 , a 170 at http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...prod=SAIE170R3 , and a MONSTROUSLY big 450 sized one at http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...rod=SAIE450R3D , would allow you to build your Eastbourne in anything from a 1/6th scale version with the 90 sized one, through a quarter scale one with the 170, and a REALLY BIG one THIRD scale sized one with that humongous 450!

Good luck with getting that plan set from AMA, and in printing out the Dave Haught article on the Eastbourne Monoplane from the AMA "Members Only" website...I'm going to be ordering a set, in February 2004, of the BRISTOL SCOUT Giant Scale plans from the March and April 1981 AMA magazine issues, that was designed by an old buddy of mine up here in New England-HANK ILTZSCH-for future building, and I've already got the Windsock Datafile on the Bristol Scouts for reference material!

Hope this reply helped you out-and Happy New Year as well!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:58 AM
andrew_perry

Default RE: The OCT. 1980 AMA mag has it...

Pipe,

Enormous amounts of gratitude to you for the Eastborn information! Truth be told I'm looking at modifying the little Speed 400 Eastborn kit sold through Hobby Lobby. At this point I'm looking for ANYTHING I can find about the airplane. Suspiciously little information exists about the design on line (why?). Nevertheless, I too try to collect as much data as I can before beginning a project.

Even more interesting is the fact that I too am about to begin a Bristol Scout D - the Peter Rake design sold through Aerodrome RC. This is an airplane for which a fair amount of information is available (yeah!).

A happy New Year to you too and once more, thanks.
andrew
Old 01-08-2004, 01:20 PM
tc-cad

Default RE: Eastbourne Monoplane

I have plans in AutoCAD format. I think it is 1/4 scale. Beauty of CAD I can make it any size you want.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:24 PM
andrew_perry

Thanks, but I was looking at tinkering with the Hobby Lobby kit. But, there is very little information about the actual airplane on line.
Once more, thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:00 AM
Red B.

As far as I know there is only one contemporary 3-view of this aircraft it was published in the British magazine "The Aeroplane" in 1913 (see picture below).

Best regards, Red B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33933.gif
Views:	43
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	89800  
Old 01-12-2004, 07:18 AM
andrew_perry

Red B,

This is terrific!
Thanks.
andrew
Old 01-22-2004, 05:08 PM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Andrew: why don't you contact Pat Tritle in Albuquerque, NM as he designed the speed 400 electric Eastbourne Monoplane that you are redesigning?. Here is my rendition! He is very helpfull!

Name:	Tr49830.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	93251  
Old 01-23-2004, 07:19 AM
andrew_perry

Pat was very kind - I contacted him before I posted the question on RCU - but said that he had encountered the same problem when he designed the model. At the time he was working from drawings in an English model magazine, which he says is now about 10 years old.
Thanks.
andrew
Old 01-23-2004, 12:41 PM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Andrew, whatever you do to change the Eastbourne plans, please don't get carried away as this Englishman did! A 160 lb. monster Eastbourne below, 1/2 scale.

Name:	Ge94355.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	93427