Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Piper NE-1 (Grasshopper) color scheme ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Piper NE-1 (Grasshopper) color scheme ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:46 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Piper NE-1 (Grasshopper) color scheme ?

ORIGINAL: Ch0pp3r

I am getting ready to paint my NE-2. I am looking for anything beside olive drab. If you fing a good source of documentation for an NE-2 in other than olive drab let me know!
Here's an NE-1 that isn't yellow, along with a L-4 in Operation Torch markings (North Africa invasion).Most were painted in the overall "orange yellow", some were painted in Aluminum, and also the colors shown. The only difference between the NE-1 and NE-2 was a variable-pitch prop on the NE-2. These planes were equivalent to the army L-4J.

These pics come from Squadron Signals Publications 'Aircraft Number 195', "Us Liaison Aircraft in Action". The Navy designation N was for 'trainer' and the E applied to all Piper aircraft. The Navy had 230 NE-1's, and only 20 NE-2's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81524.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	373352  
Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 PM
khodges

I've got more-- A military Cub on floats, several military schemes for non-L-4 Cubs. These came either from the before-mentioned book, or from "L-Birds, American Combat Liaison Aircraft of WWII" I hope these are helpful for you guys. I've been collecting everything I can find on liaison aircraft, especially the J-3 / L-4, for a couple of years now.

The inside of these planes was painted the same as the outside. Cromate green was underneath the O.D. paint on the steel parts because it was a rust inhibiting paint, but wasn't usually visible except where the paint was worn. These two books have been the best resources I have found for markings and color descriptions, as well as history. The "L-Birds" book has some great pictures of L-4's launching off LST's during Operation Torch. The first one to fly ashore was shot down by "friendly" fire, killing the pilot.

Note the colored crosses on a couple of the pictures; these were Stateside planes being used in wargames, the color of the cross representing the "color" force the ywere a part of.

Name:	Lj22571.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	373371   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43863.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	373372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58369.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	373373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86436.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	373374  
Old 12-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great help, thanks a bunch. I hadnt started the documentation part yet. This is a next winter project. It looks like you saved me a bunch of time. I hadnt planned on entering a contest with it but I want to go thru the exercise and see what kind of response I get at local fly-ins. Gotta go find that book. I have a WWII aircraft encyclopedia but I dont remember seeing any liason aircraft like the NE-1. This fits the bill for being different, at least in the local area.
Edwin
Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 AM
khodges

Here's something on markings, and what is appropriate for a particular period. The US star changed over time; these show what is was from 1942-1947. Prior to 1942, there was a red "meatball" that filled the center of the white star to the edge of the inside points. After 1947, there was the addition of a red bar inside the white bar, 1/3 the width of the white bar and centered in it.

The top of the wing on the NE-1 that has the blue scheme uses the same star that is on the fuse side, but about a third larger. It goes on the top of the right wing and on the underside of the left wing (you can sort of see the one on the left wing in the drawing). On my 1/5 scale plane, the end of the bar is 4-1/2 inches in from the wingtip, and the top of the circle is 2-1/4 inches back from the leading edge. The entire emblem is 12 inches long across the bars with a circle 6 inches in diameter. I scaled this from pictures of full-size using proportional calipers. It may be off a little, but not significantly. You'd have to change the dimensions to fit 1/4 scale, I am a mental midget with inter-scale calcs, but there is a formula

Name:	Ay75575.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	373617  
Old 01-19-2006, 12:01 AM
rcplanes12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didn't notice if anyone mentioned it yet, i just kind of skimmed over your thread real fast looking at everyone's pictures, but if you go to www.airliners.net you can do a search for NE-1, and probably get a lot of hits. i got over 500 pics for just piper cubs.