Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

I'm confused

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

I'm confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 02:39 PM
hank01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm confused

After an absence of nearly 30 years I have decided to re-enter the world of scale flying models. I found this fantastic forum while searching for ideas on getting started again. I also found an excellent model on theplanpage.com (another great web site) to get started with. It is identified as a Douglas 0-41A according to the December 1938 Flying Aces magazine from which it came. It is a high wing observation type model of about 1/11 scale and will lend itself well to RC. But, I'm confused. The 0-41 designation belongs to a Thomas-Morse bipe of 1931 vintage. Comparing the plans to other Douglas O type planes shows features of the O-43 and O-46 combined to make this "O-41". According to aerofiles.com an O-48 was a proposed evolution of the O-46 but it was never made. Possibly this "O-41" is actually the O-46? I have yet to uncover any information about the proposed O-46 so I simply don't know at this point. I am going to build this plane regardless but would like to give it some factual if not historical background. I always did like a good mystery. Any ideas?

I added a couple pics.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2004, 09:15 PM
phread59

Default RE: I'm confused

No ideas on this one. But I did see some plans in my searches recently. One of the Rc mags I believe. I think it was RCM. Maybe MAN? Anyway check AMA and the RC mags for plans. Even if the size is wrong you can scale up or down to fit. Good luck.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Shane B
My Feedback: (3)

The Model Aviation Mag. has plans for a 54" O-46 in the Febuary issue, It is a very nice looking plane,, How big do you plan on buildeing yours ,,,
Old 03-18-2004, 12:21 AM
hank01

Thanks for the input guys. The plans build a 50" model but they can easily be enlarged to 1/5 or even 1/4 scale. The plan is by Frank Roberts. What puzzles me is why this model was labeled as a Douglas "O-41A" seeing that the O-41 designation was assigned to Thomas-Morse at least seven years before the plan was drawn. I have pics and some views of the O-47 and the O-43, both being Douglas designs. Could this Douglas "O-41" plan be a fluke or perhaps Mr. Roberts actually drew plans of the modified O-46? Compare the pics below to the ones in my first post. The B/W pic is the O-43. The color pic is the O-46. Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79025.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	112630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22846.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	112631  
Old 06-21-2009, 07:04 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Five years late with this, and Hank's probably long gone, but for others' future reference I was researching the O-46 and came across this at the Boeing website: http://www.boeing.com/history/mdc/o-46a.htm
Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also.. if your interest is Scale Modeling.. I highly recommend the site RCSCALEBUILDER.COM.. That's all they do. period. Lots of scratch built, plans built and kit building going on there. Areas on competition, documentation, finishing, etc, etc.

They do require a small donation, 20 beans per year to get full access. You can lurk but I believe you get 5 posts if your not a "member".