Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

crop duster r/c

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

crop duster r/c

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 PM
rychaross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crop duster r/c

Thanks RedTwilight,

I'm not sure if he will or not that really would be his call, but I will ask him. It's basically the same size as the Fitzgerald plans, but you will be able to get the "A" model or the "B" model. The "A" model will be 3" shorter on the fuse and it has a thinner and taller vertical stabilizer. The "B" model was produced to reduce the ground looping effects hinse forth the wider vertical stabilizer.I got that information from the book I'm reading "The Ageless Agcat". I would suggest anyone considering buying this plane to purchase a copy of that book it has tons of information on the agcat that I never really knew about. It covers the birth to the end of production and anything in between. It covers the entire 40 year history of the agcat. I never flew the "A" model so I can't defend it. Maybe some of the full scale pilots can ellaborate more about this topic.

The book is written by William Schweizer. We can also thank: Leroy R. Grumman, Joseph Lippert and Arthur R. Kock - These 3 men concieved the idea of the Ag-Cat Design. It makes for very good reading and research while building your scaleD.H. Ag-Cat.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32598.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1202771  
Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rychaross

Thanks RedTwilight,

I'm not sure if he will or not that really would be his call, but I will ask him. It's basically the same size as the Fitzgerald planes, but you will be able to get the "A" model or the "B" model. The "A" model will be 3" shorter on the fuse and it has a thinner and taller vertical stabilizer. The "B" model was produced to reduce the ground looping effects hinse forth the wider vertical stabilizer.I got that information from the book I'm reading "The Ageless Agcat". I would suggest anyone considering buying this plane to purchase a copy of that book it has tons of information on the agcat that I never really knew about. It covers the birth to the end of production and anything in between. It covers the entire 40 year history of the agcat. I never flew the "A" model so I can't defend it. Maybe some of the full scale pilots can ellaborate more about this topic.

The book is written by William Schweizer. We can also thank: Leroy R. Grumman, Joseph Lippert and Arthur R. Kock - These 3 men concieved the idea of the Ag-Cat Design. It makes for very good reading and research while building your scaleD.H. Ag-Cat.

Wow, Brian. You really get to know the subject don't you? It reflects in your end product.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Well, now I'm getting second thoughts about this book.....maybe I will get it. Just sent Duane some $$$$$ plus $$$ for shipping and I hope to see it in a few days. I'll take some pics of it and post here and Ag Cat thread.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
rychaross

My father always taught me that anything worth doing is worth doing well. So I give him the credit for my focus to detail. He also told me "Son if you have the time to do it twice that meant you should have gotten it right the first time because when you have to go back to do the same thing twice that you know you should have gotten right the first time then you didn't take the time to research it or think it through. I try my best to follow his advice, but I fall short most of the time, butI do remember his words and try my best to at least hold my mistakes to a minimumm. Thereare times I did complete something with uncertainty and the lack of confidence that I did it right. If you have doubts in your consience then sleep on it and take a second look at it the next day. You may see it differently. So guys my words to you would be the same. If you get frustrated with any project step away and take a deep breath and think it through. It could be the difference between getting it right the first time or the other extreme: thinking you got it right and it causing you a disaster. Because once it leaves the ground its all about your building and flying skills. If your not sure about something don't be affraid to ask the questions. I promise there will always be someone out there that we as builder/pilotscan use as a resource for information or better yet , EXPERIENCE......................above all. I myself and I'm sure you also have seen something as a simple 1 cent nut, bolt, screw completely destroy $5,000.00 airplanes in the blink of an eye. So the old saying " down to the last bolt" ain't no JOKE. It's real, and sometimes we don't realize it until our dream plane just got shattered into a milliion tootpicks. So take the extra time it takes to take a second look at everything you do and question all your applications and even invite a fellow pilot over to check out your work. They may see something that you may have missed. Anyway, sorry about the rambling, but I hate to see good folks loose great airplanes that they've worked so hard on that could have been avoided if we'd only taken a little extra time to inspect all of our work. Good luck in all of your adventures.........
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM
rychaross

Good Deal I, like others can't wait to see how your build thread developes. Again I say, It will be very intreging to see how you guys build an paint your scale model because each one will be unique in it's own way. Good Luck and enjoy the journey toyour very own D.H.Grumman Ag-Cat.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
rychaross

Hey guys,

I'm doing some good old fashioned horse trading in this post. I've agreed to airbrush panel lines and weather for an engine. I think she coming out pretty good. The plane is a kit bashed dust devil. I think that's what it was. Another friend of mine did all the modifications and painted it. This plane has never flown since it was modified. It should look great in the air once we get it all together. I also will be installing a Williams Brothers simulated radial on the plane..........And no,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's not even close to Mr. David Hayes plane I can assure you of that. I hope you enjoy the pics. I will post more as I progress in this project.

Name:	Ec88284.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1214752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29359.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1214753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78134.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1214754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34844.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1214755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26393.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1214756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78367.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1214757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19834.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1214758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55147.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1214759  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19462.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1214760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61309.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1214761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37123.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1214762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75303.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1214763  
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
outacontrol41

You're gonna have to clean that garage up one of these days....[:-]
Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
rychaross

Oooohhhh Nnnoooooo, you done hurt my feelings, believe it or not I just cleaned it out last weekend. Ha....LOL. The pictures just makes it look bad........yea right!!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM
outacontrol41

Give your son $50 and tell him to take no prisoners....kill that messy lifestyle you call a 'garage'! lol When he's done you should be able to sweep the floor. But......you may have to do a garage/yard sale first!

Okay, enough of that....
here's the engine in question. Look at the specs....would you put that on your Ag cat?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBY70&P=0

It'd be a lot of trouble and maybe disasterous just to find out it won't work.

Duane called me today to find out how I liked the kit. A follow up call! Can you believe it? This man is a true old school gentleman from the days when people really cared about their customers...it was about more than money.
Anyway I gave him a good report and tried to talk him into joining us here on RCU. Says he keeps up with us but prefers to stay in the background. Modest fella, too!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41
Okay, enough of that....
here's the engine in question. Look at the specs....would you put that on your Ag cat?
OAC....you see the new 420 7-cyl radial comin out?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 PM
rychaross

Belive it or not when we cleaned out the garage last week we also had a yard sale to go with it and gave a ton of stuff to good will......I guess I didn't give enough of it away huh......

Thanks for the link.....I'll pull the specs on my engine and compare the two engines....give me a little time to do a little research......If by chance you get a wild hair and have that plane ready to fly by the weekend give me a nudge and I'll research it faster.... Ha!

All jokes aside. Duane is probably one of the most likeable gentleman you will ever meet. He is very modest and very honest and sincere with everyone he comes in contact with. You won't meet a nicer person.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: rychaross

If by chance you get a wild hair and have that plane ready to fly by the weekend give me a nudge and I'll research it faster.... Ha!
Shirley, you jest!

Dad Roman.... the hairs are sticking up on my neck,, - what is this new engine you speak of? Got a link or some reference?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 AM
anothercrashpilot

RYCHAROSS .......................... For a BASHED kit That is Pretty Nice ! .................................................. .. NOW, , , , , , You MIGHT want to give a "LESSON" on the Air Brushing !!!.............. That just makes a WHOLE DIFFERENT Plane out of it !!!!.................... I believe I may have come across a" HOW- TO " In one of the RC Mags , But I would probably NEVERfind it in my BOX's of Magazines !
Old 06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Dad_Roman

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/090527/concept.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/postnumber.asp?id=8829130

Doesnt everybody follow the radial thread???.....Enjoy!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
outacontrol41

I'll bet the price will be $3,000 to $3,700 price range.....just my guess. I really can't  get too excited about it until I see the price - or this economy gets better - whichever comes first.

Thanks Dad Roman for the info and links. 

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
rychaross

Okay, since your inquiring here is a very quick lesson on how to lay down a panel lines on my planes. At least it works for me and also it's one way I do rivets and they are very effective. There are other ways I do rivets but this is an example of one way. Also I've includedseveral more pictures of the kit bashed thrush with the wings on it in order to give you guys and better ideaof what just a few hours of very simple airbrush techniques can do for your plane. If this is something you've thought you always wanted to do then just start doing it. It's really not as hard as it may seem. If your a beginner practice on other things first like a piece of paper or cardboard or some type of flat surface. Don't practice on your plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZlJ3vj1ngU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTgsbmiOc6Q

Name:	Ge94638.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1215588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39558.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1215589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36355.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1215590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25053.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1215591  
Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 AM
anothercrashpilot

.............................................. hobbybarn.comHas an ITALIAN 7 cylinder 90cc. radial for 4 GRAND!!.................. With a 150 cc. and a250 cc. to follow .!!!............................. They are to be Distributed from MOKI-ITALIA .
..............Rychaross , Thanks for the tip and I'll have to watch on faster computer at work ! .. Dial up is SSSLLLOOOOWWWWW . !!!!
I couldn't get the RCU post to show anything on the Radial thread ?!And didn't get far on the OS Concept ?!?
Hobby barn has Video of the Radial .
Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Tango Juliet

rychaross -What kind of paint are you using?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Thrushdust

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41
Okay, enough of that....
OAC....you see the new 420 7-cyl radial comin out?
Most common engine on a full scale Ag Cat is a P&W R-985 with 9 cylinders. Either of those would surely sound good though!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
rychaross

Oh yea, I guess I forgot to mention that. I use the regular "Testers Enamel"(don't forget tothin the paint down with some thinner/water before you start your airbrushing) and the "Model Master Acryl"-Water Based. 95% of the time is use the Testers Enamel because it is very durable and I've never had to take something back to thebench andperform aredo because of to much handling or by that fact to much fuel residue. But there is a limit to everything so be careful to the exposer to fuel. It will eventually ware down after time if youhaven't shot a clear coat over it. If your model is new and you are airbrushing the details after the primary paint job and then clear coat over the airbrush details then youshouldn't have any problems. If you airbrush your details after the fact then just be ready for some of it to fade away through time. Anyway, heres a picture of the paints I use. I've tried the airbrush paints, but these seem to work the best for me. Hey, but I'm open to try other paints that are just as durable if you have any suggestions.

Name:	Lj21896.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1216027  
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
rychaross

Your welcome.....In the near future I'll show you how to get a riveted panel line. It's done with a template. I'll show ya'll how to make the template and how to airbrush the application onto your airplane. It's so simple and easy and will save you a ton of time you won't believe it. I did onewhole side of the wing on my agcat in about 30 minutes.Here's a close up example of what I'm talking about. I'll post the tutorial videoin this note when I've completed it. Sorry the pictures are a littleblurry but I think you get the jestof it.Have a good one.

Name:	Db86236.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1216031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67587.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1216032  
Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Tango Juliet

OK, one more thing... What kind of "Clear"?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:10 AM
DGUY

Man that is a great job with the detail work looks really good!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 PM
rychaross

Thanks DGUY,

I don't think I've talked with you in the past. Welcome to the forum if you are new....... all of usare alwaysglad to speak to new folks. What kind of planes to you have? Any dusters?
Are you in Iraq now?

Tango Juliet,

I use several different kinds but the most commons I use are Polyurethane clear coat in the spray can and the one you shoot through the gun.You can get those products at your local hardware store. It just depends on the project I'm doing that determines the type of clear coat I use. I'll try to take a picture of the can so you know what I'm talking about. I also you the "SIG Supercoat clear. You will have to thin it down to spray it through you sprayer.

I didn't use any clear coat on the Agcat. Take a look at it........I don't think it needs much protection against ware and tear now does it. Ha!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 PM
DGUY

Thanks DGUY,

I don't think I've talked with you in the past. Welcome to the forum if you are new....... all of usare alwaysglad to speak to new folks. What kind of planes to you have? Any dusters?
Are you in Iraq now?

rychaross,
I have been on the forum for a little while, since I am kinda getting back into R/C I don't post a lot info. I have a trainer (Tower 60) and a Hanger 9 Pawnee. I am in Iraq at the moment, what fun it can be. I am not military I just work for them. I have a airbrush back homeandI would love to give the Pawnee the weathering treatment that you have been so good as to let us in on. I guess it it covered with Monocote, is there a prep that has to be done to the finish for paint?? It has that shine of a new finish, what could be done to make it look worn?? I am guessing a flat clear after the paint is applied?? What your take on this?
Thanks,
Derrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.