Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

crop duster r/c

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

crop duster r/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:24 PM
rychaross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crop duster r/c

DGUY,

You have the right ideaabout applying a flat clear coat over the monocoat. That should do the trick. Here's the trick to painting over monocoat. It's what I do and I'venever had a problem with it. Take you some fine grade steel wool and rub it over the surface.It doesn't takemuch pressure at all. You arecreating imperfections to the finish of the monocoat which in theindustrial world we call a "profile". Youmay not be able to see it unless you get eye level to the area you just rubbed down, but you should be able to see the shine fade down. That's what makes the paintstick to the monocoat. Make sure you post some pictures of the Pawnee when you get gack to the states.

Good luck over there and stay safe.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Check out the Airtractor 802U COIN Fighter!!!

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/th...ies-to-pa.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18324.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1219348  
Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
AirplaneMan04

There are many threads to this forum but i was wondering if
there is anyone out there with a Rockwell Thrush r/c kit.
I prefer the look of the Rockwell over the Air tractor and Pawnee.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Thrushdust

You mean like this one?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1125

Red Twilight is working on some CAD files but I know of no kit available. There were plans for a stand-off scale version out of Canada several years ago too, but I do not know if that was ever a kit either.

D. Hayes
Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
RedTwilight

As David mentioned I have been working on some plans in CAD for a 108" span Thrush Commander. I have been working on them at my own leisure and spare time. Also I'm in no way a professional RC plane designer so I hadn't put a whole lot of detail into them. They're were mostly done just so I could build from them. Never really were meant to be scrutinized by others; so they are not that great!

So far this is all I've done!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
AirplaneMan04

David, your Thrush looks wonderful and sounds very realistic. May I
ask what engine you are running and is that a scale Keleo exhaust?
Great job on your Top Gun win. The scale detail and realism of your
plane is the style I am trying to go for. I have been debating on
building a P-47 warbird or some sort of Ag Duster plane and have
settled on the crop duster simply becuase it is very unique
and no other pilot in our club or at our field has one. Not even the
Hangar 9 pawnee ARF LOL
I know that Tom at TMRC Sailplanes has a Piper Pawnee
but Ithink the thrush is better looking.
Red, your CAD work looks excellent. Keep up the good work.
Like everything else in life it takes time but Iam sure the effort
will be well worth it.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Thrushdust

Here's a copy of my BIo sheet for TG'09, this should give you the info without retyping if I can get rid of all the extras that keep showing up.

The exhaust is routed through a Mac's 90* elboww and their flex tubing out the scale pipe carved from urethane foam and glassed.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" /><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 10" name="Generator" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 10" name="Originator" /><link href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Doug\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_fi lelist.xml" rel="File-List" /><o:smarttagtype name="State" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="City" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="country-region" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="place" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="stockticker" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="Street" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="address" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><objectclassid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object><style>st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</style><style type="text/css"></style><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";}</style>

TOP GUN 2009<o></o>

www.franktiano.com<o></o>

21st Anniversary - <st1:stockticker>BIO</st1:stockticker> SHEET<o></o>

<o></o>

Pilot- David Hayes Class– Masters Channel #30 <o></o>

City, State/Country- <st1:city><st1lace>Roanoke</st1lace></st1:city> Rapids, <st1:state><st1lace>North Carolina</st1lace></st1:state> / <st1:country-region><st1lace>USA</st1lace></st1:country-region><o></o>

Pilot Occupation- Paint Sales Manager – Lowe’s 1815<o></o>

<o></o>

Aircraft- ROCKWELL THRUSH - Crop duster<o></o>

<o></o>

Scale- 3/16ths (18.75%) Span- 108” Length– 66” Weight- 28 LBS<o></o>

Engine– Saito 1.80 Fuel- Omega 30% Prop- APC 18x6 Radio- JR 9303<o></o>

Plan By – SELF – Masters Class<o></o>

Finish- All wood construction – West Systems epoxy and ¾ oz fiberglass cloth base, DuPont Imron paint, Williams Brothers dummy cylinders with a homemade crankcase and details, Dubro tires on Custom wheels, everything else including the working spray system - hand made by myself. The spray system uses regulated CO2 and Baby powder.<o></o>

<o></o>

I maintained and loaded this full-scale aircraft from 1980-1993.<o></o>

<o></o>

Age of Model- Built for TOP GUN ’03 # of Appearances at TOP GUN– 5th<o></o>

<o></o>

Some of the Previous Major Awards Won –<o></o>

Top Gun <st1:street><st1:address>’08- 1st Place</st1:address></st1:street> MASTERS CLASS, “MR. TOP GUN ‘08”<o></o>

<st1:street><st1:address>’08 Scalemasters– 3rd Place</st1:address></st1:street> Expert,<o></o>

High Static, Best Scratch built, Best Radial engine<o></o>

Top Gun <st1:street><st1:address>‘05– 1st Place</st1:address></st1:street> MASTERS CLASS, Best 4 Stroke<o></o>

Top Gun <st1:street><st1:address>’04– 3rd Place</st1:address></st1:street> MASTERS CLASS <o></o>

‘04 AMA NATS– 2nd place DESIGNER<o></o>

Top Gun <st1:street><st1:address>’03– 4th Place</st1:address></st1:street> MASTERS CLASS<o></o>

’03 Scalemasters– GRAND CHAMPION, <st1:street><st1:address>1st Place</st1:address></st1:street> DESIGNER, High Static, Best Scratch built, Best Civilian, Best Mission<o></o>

Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 AM
DGUY

Dave,
Congrats on your 09 Top Gun win. I am a fan and was wondering was this the last year you can compete with that airframe. I thought I read some where that you can only compete for 3 years with a certain plane?? I may be wrong though.
Thanks for posting the info on this great piece of workmanship.
Derrick
Old 06-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Thrushdust

Yes this was the last year for that Thrush. Last year (2008) was the 20th anniversary so "any old plane was allowed " no matter the number of times it had appeared. The rule has now gone to 5 years for Master's qualified models now, it is still 3 years for the other models. The airframes can actually be used for an additional 3 years IF they are repainted in a totally different color scheme. I did that 3 years ago with a smaller turbo-Thrush. I added a additional belly hopper and repainted it to a red, white and blue fire bomber only to have a mid-air the first round that totally destroyed my model. I have flown 3 different Thrush airframes in 5 different colors and configurations at Top Guns since 1991. All were "designer scale eligible" although Master's class wasn't started until 1997, when I flew an Aerotech P-51 for a couple of years.
Also just FYI, the last time Top Gun has been won two years in a row with the same airplane was Charlie Chambers with his P-61in 1997-98. Terry Nitsch won three times in a row 1994-1996, with a BVM F-86, before the three year rule was in effect.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM
grasstrimmer
My Feedback: (2)

I am trying to find an ARF of a crop duster. I am not that good of a builder but love the look of the ag planes. Anyone know of a good ARF?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: grasstrimmer

I am trying to find an ARF of a crop duster. I am not that good of a builder but love the look of the ag planes. Anyone know of a good ARF?
http://www.austars-model.com/dispdet...01161229146178

http://www.rcguys.com/agwagon.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4030

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2650
Old 07-21-2009, 01:40 AM
anothercrashpilot

[sm=what_smile.gif]..................... Well it's About TIME ! ! ! !! .......................... I've been Meaning to POKE one of these threads for the Last WEEK ! ! ! ! ...... ..... All 9 of my subscribed Threads have All gone DORMANT ! ! ! ! [sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 AM
DGUY

Amen I had started to think that all intrest in cropdusters had gone by the wayside!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Thrushdust

Wishing I was packing the Thrush to leave for the NATS, however, doesn't look like we'll be heading out there again this year.
It has been awfully quite around here, hopefully because folks are out dusting the flying fields instead of sitting around killing time online.
D. Hayes
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
rychaross

I believe we are all still here. I just think everybody is busy trying to squeeze in some vacation time before the kido's go back to school. As for me I don't build much during the summer so I don't have much to report. I think the thread will pick up after August. We'll see.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM
outacontrol41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still here....flying planes currently and family time with the kids as Brian said. I'll be building something cropduster related this winter. I, too, am a wintertime builder. My hobby shop is not air conditioned and it's hot out there right now.[:@]
Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: rychaross

I believe we are all still here.
Always...
Old 07-31-2009, 03:26 AM
musterpilot

here are 2 photos of a new 2 seat piper pawnee awaiting certification in Chile
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61171.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1246942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84643.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1246943  
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
RedTwilight

ORIGINAL: rychaross

I believe we are all still here.
Is anyone really here? Who are we? Where are we? Where is where? When is who? Are we just all dust in the wind?

Ok.... OK... I think I am still here. LOL
Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
outacontrol41

When I'm not there I'm here. When I'm not here I'm usually there. Although lately my wife tells me I'm not all there, either.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
AirplaneMan04

Anyone know if this kit is still produced? Rainer Vogt, from Germany.
This is very nice looking. Would love to have one but cant find the site.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1639293/anchors_4058151/mpage_15/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4058151[/link]
Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
viperdada

Well, I have a Kyosho Ag Wagon. I bought it with a load of rc stuff, FS-40 powered and a real nice looking plane. It's ready to fly right, this time, I was told it's very tricky and stalls at high speed. After attempt of a clean flight, it does fly BAD. Felt like there was a brick in the tail. I think the CG is wrong. It balances fine on the wing chord, with a little nose weight, but has a leading edge, like a P-51, that is forward of the wing's LE at the fuslage, I don't know the term. Lateral balance is fine. I have changed nothing from the way I got it. I have no plans. Anybody know the CG of this plane?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 PM
musterpilot

The cog of the agwagon is 4"-11/16 to 5"1/8 measure back from leading edge of fuselage
it is a very easy plane to fly with no bad tendencies good luck with the flying
Old 08-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Jeff248

Just got New Zealand Aero's new info pack, they are offering a 1/4 scale PZL 18 Dromader Camel at 174" wingspan. Anybody ever work off of a set of their plans???
Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 AM
4tonns

Does anybody make a small airtractor or ag cat that can be used for electric?  I am looking for something with a 45-50 inch wing span.  I just got back into flying and went electric.  Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.