Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

crop duster r/c

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

crop duster r/c

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 PM
tenspeed59
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crop duster r/c

Here are a couple of pictures of my fathers old cropdusters from the early 1960's....the first one is a custom built 1943 Howard DGA 15 originally manufactured for the Navy and then sold to civilian use after WW2.....My father eventually leased the plane and he and the owner converted it to a crop duster and got the airworthy certification converted to RESTRICTED use and I have all of the history of the aircraft from its origins registered with the FAA and all the way up thru the early 1970's when the FAA struck down the airworthy certificate due to the then owner not keeping the annuals current with the FAA......If ANYONE ANYWHERE has any info as to the whereabouts of this aircraft I would be foreever grateful to see it and learn about it.......the second duster is his biplane that if memory serves me still Ibelieve it was a WACO....I have no further info on that aircraft tho....
I would also be interested in finding a large scale HOWARD kit that I could also fabricate and incoroporate the spray equipment onboard the RC kit asI do have all drawings and such from the FAA Restricted useage certification procedures still......Please email any information to [email protected] and I will certainly respond in kind.......
Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61217.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	1441944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80927.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1441945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95997.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1441946   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55228.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	1441947  
Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 PM
cessna 188

Well guys I did it. I contacted Duane and he is going to start building my ag cat this fall. I think I'll have to hang a Saito 450 on her.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:33 AM
wifpwcf

hi guys long time no read or post,i been looking threw the thread some great work guys keep it up.
ross you never stop amazing me that not big enough is it lol,,its friggen huge keep it up
be great to catch up when ya got her done
cheer glen
Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

Cessna 188: I visited your local restaurant (Country Kitchen) after a wedding a couple of weeks ago. I saw a couple of great dusters hanging in there! Oh, and one on the roof!
One of the best blackened steaks I have had in a while. Obviously, a pilot owns that restaurant...........
Old 05-29-2010, 08:56 AM
cessna 188

The restuarant is called Hometown. Yes the owner is also a cropduster for 40 yrs. My father had a flying service in Inverness also for 40+ years and my brother runs it today. The ag wagon in there is mine. I flew it for years. It has kind of become a collectable. My dad flew one for 25 yrs. I have had many a ride in one. I decided to retire it because of the many memories I get when I look at it. So I loaned it to the restuarant for eveyone to enjoy. I also built the Hanger 9 Pawnee in there also. It has never been flown but I have one just like it that flies great.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 AM
bignuts181

Hey there wippi good to see you lurking around again yah definately be good to catch up, sadly to harsh realisation has set in that it won't be ready for Sheparton but I will have both of my 4.88 meter 40% Schweitzers there, tug and glider.....DLE 222 power!!

Been thinking of a 400cc moki powered wilga next.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:25 AM
brand1068

Hiya chaps,

I'm looking into doing a crop duster configuration on my Der Jager for fun

So what would you recomend as the best Spray effect configuration ?

From what I can see there are several options.

1) Water spray - using a small pump and tubing under the wings.

2) Smoke - engine smoke - Can you direct this under the wings too ?

3) Talc Power dump - assuming this is a one shot deal ?

Any others or recomendations ?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
rychaross

I would like to say thank you to the Orange Tx. Radio Control Club for putting on a wonderful grand opening flyin on Saturday July 24th. Everything was wonderful. The food, the hospitality and the great conversations. Here's a couple of pics of my D.H. Agcat. The one with her taking off really came out well. I did have a mishape but I've gotten her all put back together. You guys are the greatest. Thanks Ricky and James for the very warm welcome. You guys are the best.

Name:	ge95871.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1473982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61025.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1473983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38638.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1473984  
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool!! Which engine you using? I'm sure you posted somewhere but I forgot...
And how much does it weigh?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
rychaross

I'm using the Brisson 4.2. PLENTY OF POWER. But she needs a radial $$$$$$$$$$$$$ [X(] for that extra special scale look. I really don't want to fool with fitting the simulated radial. I just don't think I'll be successful at mounting it. I have one, but don't have the confidence nor the time to fit one around the brisson. The engine has a mechanical advance. I don't think I want to convert it right now so I'll just fly her the way she is for the time being. I'll just wait until I can afford the radial. Hmmmm which one to use. My cat came out at 37 pounds. Keep in mind she a prototype and I have a lot of extra stuff on here so she's going to be heavy but once she leave the ground she feels like she weighs about 10 pounds. The reason I hit the ground is that my throttle clevis broke mid way through the flight and she went to full power and then dead sticked on me on a low pass. I didn't have the altitude so I had to do the best I could under the circumstances. She Lives!!!!!! By the way. Have you started building yours yet. If not; do you have a picture of the one you think you might copy after?

There's also a few more you that have purchased the D.H. Agcat. Come on..... Let's see the building process and how there coming. I shared mine now its your turns.

Let's get this thread moving again..............
Old 07-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Dad_Roman

Beautiful Brian.

HK for the Seidel radial

Just got mine, I got the 70cc....also a 90cc available. Both in the 11-1300 range
Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

I saw the pictures Ricky sent me, you are very lucky on that train wreck. Here are two short videos of the Air tractor last week. I did not have my camera so this was shot by phone.
I still plan to get this plane as soon as I get finished with my other project and get some fun money saved up.
Walt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Ozx...&feature=email
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW3a6...&feature=email
Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: rychaross

Have you started building yours yet. If not; do you have a picture of the one you think you might copy after?

Brian,

No, I should have had it built by now but it's been one thing after another delaying me. At this point, I have a whole bunch of Ag Cat reference photos from all over the internet but have not settled on one particular model yet. Have you seen the latest offering from O.S. Engines at Towers? Look here:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZVB2&P=0
That would be nice to hang on the front of my AgCat but this engine is almost 7 lbs!! Not to mention the price tag and my AgCat was already built solid and hefty. I could end up with a 50 lb. plane! [X(][X(]
Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 PM
rychaross

I do understand about one thing after another. Start when you can and just do a little at a time. You know how the games played. Post your top 3 choices and we'll all help you decide....

O.S. Radial; Oh man what a BEAUTY with a beautiful $$$$PRICE$$$$. I think the weight of the engine would balance the D.H. Agcat pretty close to right on the money. My engine weighs probably around 3 to 4 pounds and I added another 3.5 pounds to balance her so that should be just about perfect if you've got the cash. Like I said before my plane weighs 37 pounds and doesn't effect how she fly's at all. Also keep in mind that the D.H. Agcat has two huge flat airfoil wings with a lot of lift and low wing load. I don't know what the wing load is but it's pretty low. One day I'll calculate it and post it hear. Even if your plane comes in heavier than mine it should be fine. After my mishap over the weekend I'm more convinced now more than ever that I'm glad Duane built this plane solid as a rock. Any other plane of lesser value that encountered such an impact would have been rubble or at best-firewood. I'll take quality over a cheap ANY DAY. Loved the videos. Keep them coming. I'll try to get one of my flights videod at Bomber Field this year and post a link to youtube. We'll see how the timing goes.

I'll check out the seidel radail also. Right now I'm just looking at a lot of options for a radial.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 AM
outacontrol41

Well, if you're right about the OS radial not being too heavy, I guess I'd better start saving my money...and damn that's a lot of money..[:@][:'(][X(]
I can come up with that kind of cash just for a hobby but it's gonna take a while. So if that's the engine I choose don't be looking for me to start building anytime real soon. But if I did get that engine on Duane quality built plane, what a prized (and expensive!) model I'd have!
BTW...You had to add 3.5 lbs. to the nose of your AgCat???? Geeez.... I may be better off to get that 7 lb. engine. I can't even imagine adding that much weight to ANY plane to balance it out except maybe a 1/3 or 1/2 scale model!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:42 PM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anybody considered extending the nose and making the turboprop agcat. I have the plans to the tom fitzgerald agcat and thought of making that mod but I can't find a good set of 3-views of one anywhere.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
lgarber

Hey everybody,
I just got my 1/5th scale pawnee brave plans from New Zealand Aero! Can't wait to get started.
The plans have a "fiberglass" canopy and cowling but do not say where these can be bought? Any idea's, advice.
If I have to ,I'll pink foam them and what not , but would rather buy a set to speed the build.
I have the Hanger 9 pawnee as well as an old Robbe super cub kit that I intend on making an old cropduster out of as well.
I want to build these "together" to keep me busy. I'm a South Dakota farm/ranch boy,who, as soon as I could, got a job flagging and mixing chemmicals for old Cecil Ice in my home town of Pierre. He had pawnee 235's, brave's, thrush's,and the radial air tractor,401,402?,I forget. I learned to fly from them. Would like to eventually get Duane's Air tractor and ag cat. Will do a turbine version of the Cat.
I have alot of time on my hands as I'm a disabled vet spending "way" too much time at the Denver VA. Would love to talk and build with you all. We need more Ag planes. (I'm about 3/4's of the way done with my 1/5th P-38F lighting. Should probably finish it to justify all these new kits to my lovely,hot wife!) She is supportive, Thank God!!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 PM
vibi08

Hello Igarber,

Check AMR-RC site. I think they are about to release a 22% Airtractor AT401 for 150cc radial engine and the turbine powered AT402 for 85cc piston engine. I think a jetcat turboprop fit inside the cowling from what i have seen in their shop. The plane is really big
Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
lgarber

Howdy vibi08,
I have been watching that site. I'm trying to keep my "fleet",at 1/5th scale. But the 502 turbine that they are coming out with
is on my list. Any thing ag actually.
Still trying to locate 1/5th scale cowling and canopy for my brave.
Thank you,
Linn
Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys - I guess it's been a LONG time since I have posted anything on here. I got the AirTractor "Fire Boss" out last weekend and went out and put some fires out with a couple of slurry drops. My brother was taking video of that rather then still shots so I don't have anything to post of that. I guess if anyone was interested in seeing the video we took that day you can visit my litte [link=http://gputt33.multiply.com/]RC Home Page[/link] and look in the video tab. Looks like everyone is still having a blast with the crop dusters. The actual turbo prop AirTractor would be way cool

Later guys and good flying [8D]

Name:	By76189.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1483609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25360.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1483610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22717.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1483611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77311.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1483612  
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Pilot P51
My Feedback: (6)

Well guys I had a bad accident last weekend at a fly-in and yes I lost my Air Tractor. I clipped the top barb on a fence doing a spray run just like the real guys do and it ripped the gear and flipped over destroying my plane. I was show boating and it got me.
All the servos and engine were fine. The rest was put in the trash bin. I had tears in my eyes when I went to get it. Three years of hard work down the drain, what a great flying plane, one of the best I ever had. Every time I flew it their would be cars stopping on the road to watch it.

I talked to Daune the other day and I am going with the Ag Cat with a radial or the 802 Turbo prop that he is making now. Steve is going to do the proto type for the turbo starting next month if Daune gets the plane finished. It would be next year on either plane. He has two Ag Cats to build before he could get to me.
He also has a 602 he built that someone did not pay him yet it has a bigger wing then the 502 and he said I could have it. So we will see what happens, but my dusting season is over for this year.
I will keep you posted on what I do.

Walt
Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 PM
lgarber

Sorry to here that Walt! Hang in there bro and before you know it, the hanger will be full again.
Linn
Old 08-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Dad_Roman

Sympathies!

I would have been glad to ressurect it

Would have even paid a few bucks for it.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 AM
IFR Pilot

Excellento rc planes.

Years ago I was a loader truck driver for a fairly new pilot who flew a 502. He was at the least a slave driver and an ass. 1 day we were at a very short airstrip with over grown grass and a 25 mph wind. He had to takeoff on downwind because the strip was wet and muddy at the upwind end and he told me to be sure and put no more than 2,500 in his hopper and I said roger that. Little did he know I put 3,200 in his hopper. He rolled for takeoff clipped power lines, hit a few trees and crashed in a field in flames. He lived and is no longer an ag pilot. There are only 3 insurance companies in the world that insure ag pilots and being he was fairly new, the insurance companies wouldn't cover him and that was the end of his career.

Food for thought for some of you who may be ag pilots in real life, ( DON'T PISS OFF YOUR LOADER DRIVER ) and don't be a slave driver.

Have a great day...
Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 AM
AH1G

Sorry, for the pilot. But, if had been me I would have recovered, looked you up and kicked your ass to hell! I could have croaked after that in peace
Nice that you admit that now. I assume you lost your job at the least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.