Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

giantscaleplanes (GSP) P-40 Warhawk

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

giantscaleplanes (GSP) P-40 Warhawk

Old 04-07-2004, 12:06 PM
tuskegee pilot
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giantscaleplanes (GSP) P-40 Warhawk

I recently assembled the giantscaleplanes P-40 Warhawk ARF. I considered myself to be an intermediate flyer (proficient with .40 size up to 1/4 scale aerobatic models), however I had a time trying to fly this model.

I set it up as per the manual and had a very gentle setup as far as control surface throws and the center of gravity placement.

1. My first problem was that the model continued to want to nose over on the ground.
2. Once in flight, the model was very snappy, more so than the average warbird.
3. Upon Landing, it would snap out violently, therefore, I had to come in hot all the time. Once I got the P-40 on the ground, it would nose over.

Any suggestions on the giantscaleplanes .40 size P-40 fiberglassed model airplane. Please forward your comments to my email: [email protected]. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2004, 01:11 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: giantscaleplanes (GSP) P-40 Warhawk

snappy, check the wing washout sounds like it is wrong , if so move both elevators in very slight up when the sticks are in neutral , aslo make sure it balances from left and right as well as front and back
Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Snappy is an indication of an AFT CG. I would suggest you recheck that first. If it seems ok.. make it a little nose heavy.
Nosing over is more a position of the gear than any thing else. Some planes like the Spit and P40 are more prone that some others. There are a few things u can do to help. Make absolutely sure you wheels turn freely. You can also shim the rear of the retract to move the wheel hub a little more foward. Don't forget the Full Up elevator on the ground at all times. Hope this helps BobH.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:58 AM
LDM

Bob , i am not disagreeing but why full up at all times on the ground, I thought it was better to let this plane gain speed and let the tail lift gradually , or do you use full up let the tail come up them lighten up in the up ? I have read numerous post on the Tflight P40 and many pilots say that they dont force it in the air ?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Stew99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out for an example of holding the elevator too long.[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_354466/mpage_5/key_/tm.htm]Wildcat[/link]
Old 04-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think BobH meant for you to hold full up during the takeoff roll, just during taxiing.

I find that putting a little up trim in the elevator when setting up for landing helps keep the plane from tipping over when it touches down. This helped on my Spitfire which always nosed over.

Jim
Old 04-09-2004, 07:15 AM
LDM

I agree but "full up at all times while on the ground" can be misunderstood as "full up on the ground at all times" , see hat I mean