Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

V35 tail flutter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

V35 tail flutter

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 11:53 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default V35 tail flutter

Ive got about a half a dozen flights on my V tail Bonanza now and she's quite a decent performer.Mine weighs in at 15lbs fully loaded with options (I pulled the tail and beacon lights cause a dont use them).Thats with half a pound of weight on the nose retract mount.
However on my last flight my on a fast flyby my left ruddervator got into a wicked flutter.It shook so bad it loosened the left stabilizer.I immediatly reduced power and dropped the gear as I got into a landing patteren.
The landing went smoothly with no problems.Checking the left stabilizer there was about 1/2 an inch of movement up and down.Basically the Ultracote Supreme was holding it on the fuse and not much else.Whew that was a close one.
The way these ruddervators are setup leaves a lot to be desired because the are not ridgid leaving about1/4" of play on either side.The setup is similar to a strip aileron setup.I think my problem maybe because a have my connector set up for maximum throw( its turned all the way in on the angled metal rod connector)thus allowing the play to occur.
Any ideas on this?The pushrods are the standard T/F type metal rod in a tube type. They are driven by two High Tech standard BB servos....
Another thing I'm going to do is fly a little slower I guess.She really can get rippen with a OS120 III surpass..
Old 06-24-2002, 12:25 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V35 tail flutter

Steve, I can consider you a friend for letting me know this. I have just finished mine and was suspicious of this arrangement from the start. I think that adding the correct size of inner nyrod tube instead of the standard arrangement would solve most of the problem. I plan on doing this before flying. I am interested in what others have done here. One question, how did you arrange your exhaust outlet with the 1.2? I have been working on getting a little more bend out of the stock manifold pipe for my Saito 1.5, which powers the plane below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15356_6581.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	9821  
Old 06-24-2002, 01:17 AM
SteveD-RCU

Default V35 tail flutter

Nice lookin V35 wulf190, I got a in the cowl type OS elbow and I used a short OS flex pipe that is mounted to the firewall.Then I added an old Enya 90 4cycle muffler that exits threw the scale location on the cowl.Then I chopped the muffler to make it look more scale.That setup gives it a unique sound thats not too loud and looks scale.I guess you could do something similar if you had a Satio flex pipe..good luck on your first flights..Steve
Old 06-24-2002, 01:33 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Default V35 tail flutter

Thanks Steve. I should just go ahead and get the flex pipe, route stuff down and away to keep all the gook off. I'm going to see what I can do with the stock elbow first, though, a little work with the mini-torch should fix it right up (famous last words). What can I expect from the plane? I haven't seen one fly yet so I don't know what I'm in for here. Seems like my weight will be a little heavier than yours when finished, maybe 16lbs give or take (glassed w/ Flite Metal, full lights, etc.) Like most, mine will need nose weight to get the CG an inch or so in front of the plans. How much did yours take?
Old 06-24-2002, 02:24 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V35 tail flutter

Speed managment is the key with this aircraft to stay out of flutter, or redesign the ruddervator control.

Vince
Old 06-24-2002, 10:55 AM
SteveD-RCU

Default V35 tail flutter

Vince is right about the speed management.Especially if you want it to look scale.My V35 flew well off the board.It eats up the runway pretty quick using 250' with 0 wind and 0 flap.Climbout required a tad or right rudder,then once at altitude she flew hands off after throttling back to about 75%.On high rates the ailerons are very effective with full deflection.Rolls are quick.And the ruddervators are very pitch sensetive,especially just before landing.Use lots of expo in your transmitter and be smooth and you.ll have no problems.
I have'nt used flaps yet so I can't report on them .I would say you would want at least 325-350 ft.Ive been testing at a paved,hardly used airstrip 2500' long.My next flights will be on a 350' grass stirip however so I guess flaps my be needed in 0 wind
I started out with a 1/2 lb added in the nose on the retract mount.I think thats a good amount to begin with and then maybe take some out later.Just before landing mine settles in to a slightly nose up attitude(just right).With flaps it may be different...Steve
Old 06-24-2002, 11:00 AM
SteveD-RCU

Default V35 tail flutter

Also with my exhaust setup with the chopped muffler sticking out about 1 1/2 " I get zero gook and oil on the underside of my V35. I dont know why that is but its a nice bonus...Steve
Old 06-24-2002, 06:56 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: V35 tail flutter

Originally posted by SteveD
However on my last flight my on a fast flyby my left ruddervator got into a wicked flutter.It shook so bad it loosened the left stabilizer.I immediatly reduced power and dropped the gear as I got into a landing patteren.
Are your hinge gaps sealed and/or your control surfaces mass-balanced?

Dan
Old 06-24-2002, 08:15 PM
SteveD-RCU

Default V35 tail flutter

No they are not Dan ,maybe that would also help...thanks Steve
Old 06-24-2002, 08:38 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default V35 tail flutter

There are a number of things you can do to reduce the probability of flutter occuring that will not take alot of time.

First if the torque rod is loose where it comes out of the fuse, this has to be tight. I will take small peaces of spruce and run it down in the gap to take up the play. This alone stops most flutter because you have removed all of the free play in the sistem.

Second cut strips of clear packing tape and seal the hinge gaps from the bottom with it.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:43 PM
wtjones

Default RE: V35 tail flutter

Hi Guys. I am new here and I see that the dates above are way in the past 6-25-02. Is this the last imput or are there later ones??

Is there a way to find later ones ?

Thanks Much, W Jones
Old 10-19-2005, 06:39 PM
SteveD-RCU

Default RE: V35 tail flutter

I did a search and couldn't find anything,I still have my Bonanza though,its going through an overhaul this winter.