Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

J-3 Cub lights?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

J-3 Cub lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 09:14 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J-3 Cub lights?

Having looked around the Internet and other information sources, I haven't been able to determine if J-3 Cubs had navigation or landing lights. I am building my 2nd one as a float plane and do a lot of late evening flying and thought it would look great and help with orientation landing in the twilight. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Russ
Old 06-23-2004, 09:30 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: J-3 Cub lights?

here are some good pics of a full scale cub that was in my hangar where i work. its a beautiful J-3 in pristine condition. ver beatuiful plane. there are some cockpit pics too! also there is a lancair on there too.
[link=http://www.geocities.com/seanfw18/webpics/]click for pics[/link] i think i have more pics of it on a CD at home, i will look for them when i get home tonight and put them on my other real .com website.

sean

BTW. in picture # 020, that is me [8D] i love my job!
Also, it appears to that there are no lights, thats why its just a VFR only aircraft
Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

As I recall, the original J-3s had no electrical system

quint
Old 06-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A J-3 out of the factory did not have lights. I have seen several J-3’s that had been equipped with nav lights. A J-3 that I modeled after had full working nav lights on it. I have yet to see a J-3 with landing lights but I have seen landing lights on the supper cubs. I have info on my site about lighting up a cub. I will say I did put landing lights on my cub.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:02 AM
Ch0pp3r
My Feedback: (3)

J3 Cubs did not come with electrical systems. I have never seen a J3 with lights although I have heard that it has been done. It would be a bad idea to attempt lighting a J3. With full fuel on board a J3 Cub has a useful load about 210lbs to maybe 300lbs. That means that 2 people and all baggage, radios (handhelds) and charts must weigh under that weight. 2 skinny guys weighing 170lbs each is 340lbs. So just where are you going to put that 30lb generator and 40lb battery? Yes, most J3 Cubs if flown with 2 people on board are flying over max gross weight and are an FAA bust waiting to happen.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Dano13

ORIGINAL: ifixairplanes

here are some good pics of a full scale cub that was in my hangar where i work. its a beautiful J-3 in pristine condition. ver beatuiful plane. there are some cockpit pics too! also there is a lancair on there too.
[link=http://www.geocities.com/seanfw18/webpics/]click for pics[/link] i think i have more pics of it on a CD at home, i will look for them when i get home tonight and put them on my other real .com website.

sean

BTW. in picture # 020, that is me [8D] i love my job!
Also, it appears to that there are no lights, thats why its just a VFR only aircraft
I am building Sig's 1/5 scale cub. I would love to see a link to any and all photos you have. Mine even has the window in the top of the cabin/wing center. I see in the photos, the support struts in the front of the cabin and in the top window are white. Is this original? I was going to paint mine in yellow. While I am not trying to create an exact replica, any simple appearance mods such as this are easily done. And I DO plane to fly the plane, not just stand back and admire my work, so major mods are definetly out!

TIA!

Dano13