Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

BUSA Fokker DVII

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

BUSA Fokker DVII

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 01:32 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BUSA Fokker DVII

ORIGINAL: GHL

Hi Everyone, I have thoroughly enjoyed this post and I wanted to ask if any of you had thoughts whatsoever on the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Fokker D VII being released in the early part of 2006...maybe sooner? I was able to get a very close up look at it during the War Birds Over Delaware event in July, and I was impressed with it. I especially liked the fact a large D VII, like a small D VII, did not need any flying wires. I have a couple of Proctor D VII kits in framed up condition, but I did not want to go that route with a larger D VII. I want to have a finished plane that looks "scale", but does not have to be built as a true scale machine. All of you seem knowledgeable with Balsa USA and I would like your input. Thank you. George
I am planning on one myself, since I have a 52% Edge for aerobatics, the large D VII is the only way to go for me.
I am planning using a DA 50 coupled to a prop reduction drive made by my good friend Joe Boyed.. Prop Drive

Roger
Old 09-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Flyboy Dickie

Saw the BUSA 1/3 scale at Rhinebeck this weekend. Flies great. Sure is a big plane!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dickie

Saw the BUSA 1/3 scale at Rhinebeck this weekend. Flies great. Sure is a big plane!
Dam, I have been going to Rhinebeck for the last 10 years and this year couldn't make, thanks for the info

Roger
Old 09-12-2005, 09:05 PM
destrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have used GTM's lozenge fabric, and it goes on just as advertised, but you need to follow the instructions to the letter. You do have to sew the panels together to make on long enough for your wing. The type of seam you use is a double-folded, or better known as a "french fell" It is like the seam on your blue jeans. I had no problem sewing this fabric using a machine with a double needle. All your nitrate, and butyrate dopes work just fine, and I even used exterior latex on it just because I had painted my fuselage with it. You can see the end result of it in the Pfalz D-IIIa thread in this forum as I have a number of pictures posted under the name of "destrat" It was well worth the effort!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:55 PM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

Guys,
I've been subscribed to this thread, and thought I'd share some pictures of the BUSA Fokker DVII I'm building. It has the top wing modified to three piece, and the L/G is from Gary Allen plans, rather than the stock BUSA design. This gear is a bit taller, and it has a sprung axle.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31694.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	325432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66875.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	325433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62710.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	325434  
Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 AM
ctyankee

That looks really nice! I just started a BUSA DVII about 3weeks ago myself. My three wing panels are about ready to join as I am going to build the top wing as a one piece. Out of curiosity how does one go about gettig the Gary Allen plans for the gear. If there are already a good set of plans out there it means that I don't have to design it myself!
Old 09-18-2005, 10:06 AM
fwman1

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not really sure about getting the Gary Allen plans now. I got mine through RCM (gone?). I had to bend new gear legs (longer), and cut out new parts for the sub-wing. The BUSA subwing is much thinner than the Allen sub-wing. The area is close to the same, although the BUSA is somewhat greater in span. Not too much though.

I think Arizona Models sells an Allen kit, so they may sell the plans separately.

I made my top wing three piece, as my truck bed will only handle about 80" max, and that is set in at an angle. It will make field assembly easier, as I can install the center section bolts on the subwing and then slide on the outer panels.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:26 PM
GHL

To all interested modelers, The Gary Allen D-VII was a featured article in Model Airplane News. The plans are still available through them. Regards, George
Old 09-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Flyboy Dickie

I am planning to build the DVII this winter. I had purchased the Gary Allen plans about a year ago but now I am considering the BUSA kit. Any thoughts from someone who may have considered either or? I do not mind the cutting, but wonder which might end up the easier build. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:52 PM
FastPass
My Feedback: (6)

I'm working on a BUSA D7 now while another club member is completing the Arizona Models D7 from Gary Allen's plans. Out of the box, the Arizona Modeler's D7 has greater scale accuracy. In addition to the scale gear and subwing, it's wings are undercambered like the full size. It also comes with preformed engine side covers and radiator. Nevertheless, with a little additional work, the BUSA can be made to look just as good.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:51 AM
pete913

I'm going to start on a Gary Allen version this winter. Been looking over the plans lately and I'd like to use my G45 for something besides a paperweight before it becomes obsolete. The undercambered wings look like a bit of a challenge.

Has anybody else used a G45 in theirs? What did you use for a muffler? cause the stocker just ain't gonna fit, either that or the carb won't. I guess if need be, I'd weld one up out of sheet steel.

Also, I've always wondered if any of these planes used the mottled spray camoflage finish seen on earlier WW1 German planes? It'd seem reasonable, and for sure a lot easier, not to mention probably better looking than lozenge camo, as well as a whole bunch cheaper .
Old 10-08-2005, 08:43 AM
fwman1

Hey Pete, The review of the Arizona Models ARF used a G-45. It's based on the Allen plans. He had to use a special made muffler he got from Bisson (I think) to fit it.

I have those plans. They are a nice set.

Good luck.
Roger
Old 10-08-2005, 09:22 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

GHL I saw the busa 1/3 up close at the dayton show they flew it on a fuji 64 flew scale speed I think it needs more power as did a couple of the other guys at the show something like a 3w75 a better one would be the zdz80 is what I am going with oh yes I orderd the plane very big and looks real nice in the air .

happy landings charlie
Old 10-08-2005, 10:24 AM
GHL

Charlie, Thank you for your thoughts on the BUSA 1/3 scale D VII, especially about powering the design. Talking with the BUSA people at Warbirds over Delaware, and getting a good close up view of the prototype, I noticed they were using a gear drive on a G-62 for power. I could not stay to see the D VII fly, but I found the concept interesting since it allowed them to use a 32" propeller, which was pretty close to a true 1/3 scale size. I have still not seen their prototype fly, but at Rhinebeck last month, my flying friends in attendance thought the "in air" performance was okay but not overpowering. This is pretty much the same type of thought you had after seeing it fly at Dayton. I have a NIB Quadra 100, and I think that may be my choice for power. (Isn't it funny, I have one of the BUSA 1/3 scale Sopwith Pups about 95% framed up and have designed it for G-62 power since all the ones I have seen, fly well with that combination. Same 1/3 scale size, but a lot less engine compared to a Q-100.) Regards, George
Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 AM
fwman1

I wonder if the thicker wings and no wires of the D7 account for more drag than the thinner wings of the Pup even with all those wires?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 AM
p51f4f
My Feedback: (81)

Well, I am building the AZ models D VII and using a US 41 with a J-tec muffler, runs great. I had it converted to EI by C&H out of Riverton, WY. When I was in Dayton for the Dawn Patrol. I videoed a lot of Pups and D VII flying and all seem to handle the pretty good with the power plants used. Most had the G-26 for pups and G-38 for D VII. I am also working on the Balsa USA Kit, that has been put aside until the AZ is finished. Should test fly this weekend.

In Albuquerque NM, A individual flies the the D VII from Balsa USA with a G-26 with a B&B muffler swinging a 18-6 master air prop. Seems to handle the altitude alot better than I thought it would with the weight and thick wings. He flies it at half throttle for crusing. His plane came out around 17lb. My AZ models should tip the scales a 20lb.

Les
Old 10-10-2005, 06:21 PM
fwman1

Les,
Thanks for posting that info. Good luck on the test flight. Care to show us a picture of your plane?
Roger
Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

George they burned up the engine with the mick reeves gearreduction this is the second one I've heard of doing that , I'm flying the 1/3 pup on a g-62 flys just fine on it , I have a b&b smoke system on it to boot , haven't used the smoke yet not enough gas run thru the engine yet maybe in the spring getting to wet & cold up here in buffalo to fly very often now a days. charlie
Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM
p51f4f

Well, my test flight will be conducted in the morning, using a US 41 for power, hoping all goes well and that no problems occur. 3lbs of lead with a total weight of 22lbs.
This is the Az. Models kit with undercambered air foil.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38440.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	338961  
Old 10-14-2005, 12:39 PM
fwman1

Les,
Best of luck to you! The plane looks just great. Did you logenze the lower surfaces?
Roger
Old 10-14-2005, 03:36 PM
p51f4f

Roger

Yes I did use the logenze from AZ models. Worked out well and looks great. Will use the GTM fabric on the Balsa USA D VII that I am building on the lower surface.
Hope to have that ready by March, ready to fly. I will take better pics in better light. on Sat. to post

Les
Old 10-14-2005, 04:52 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Arizona Models still in business?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:06 PM
p51f4f

Yes, AZ models is still in business, I just ordered the 1/4 alb D Va and some 1/4 scale pilots from him.

Les
Old 10-14-2005, 05:59 PM
fwman1

Les,
I sent you a PM.
Roger
Old 10-15-2005, 10:45 PM
fwman1

Any word as to how Les' test flight went on the Arizona Models D7?
Anxiously awaiting good news....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.