Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What is the best scale rc magazine???

ORIGINAL: Intruder38

When I got into RC in the early 90's, there was a mag called Scale RC Modeler. It was a thoroughly enjoyable publication which lit my fire as far as scale RC goes; not too deep for the newbie, but dragged me along to challenge my building skills. Unfortunately, it appears that politics applies everywhere and, according to the publisher, led to its demise in 1998. Since then, I have tried every magazine on the market and, IMHO, none really fit my bill. I can't blame the publishers; they must satisfy the marketplace and, apparently, ARFs, electrics and Park Fliers are what is selling. I guess the combination of MAN, RCM, and RC Report comes closest to what I would really like to see, namely a magazine that deals mostly (let's say 75% or more) with scale RC that includes 60-sized kits as a regular topic.

There are any number of reasons why magazines fold up. Model Builder was arguably one of the very best, but IIRC the publisher's options were mimic MAN and RCM vis a vis advertising or go under, so the family chose to close up shop rather than turn the magazine into just another catalog with snippets of articles separating the ad sections.

Screwing contributors is an excellent way to kill a magazine. Politics had nothing to do with the demise of SRCM. The publisher stiffing the contributors had _everything_ to do with the demise of SRCM. Took me three months and the threat of litigation to get paid for an article before Ed Schnepf got the picture, and IIRC AMC related that she never did get paid for her last contribution.

BTW - if you saved any of those older SRCM issues, take a close look at the writing style of the reviews and technical articles. I think you'll find that by and large they were written by the same author - Norm Goyer, once, former, and last "editor" at SRCM.

Ask Rich Uravitch about his tenure as editor at SRCM under Ed Schnepf.

As for today's offerings, I like SRCI and FSM.
    Cheers,
    Fred McClellan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think RC Report deffinantly has a nitch by having less adds. Some people obviously don't want them but I find them usefull. How can an active model enthusient know what is available, what is new and what is the going rate for products without adds. RCM has a lot of adds and alot of pages. If you look between those pages they have a lot of write ups on the latest airplanes, radios, engines, electronics, etc. Some one mentioned that they are mostly focused on the newer modeler and that I would sort of agree but there are a lot of general products for everone as well. I think the bigest weakness of RCM is they are not willing to be too critical on their write ups. I see a lot of ARF's which are 90% good with some bad flaws like weak tails, firewalls, things like that. What RCM is good at is their writups on engines. In fact, this last month a couple mags had good write ups on glow plugs which is something over due.

One think I don't like is articles where you have read a paragraph or two and the writter still has not started to talk about airplanes. If they start talking about their drive to the meet or what they ate over the holidays I am off to the next article or magazine. I pick up an R/C mag to read about airplanes. If they aren't talking about airplanes right off the bat I often just skip the article. If I want to read the other stuff I'll pick up readers Digest.

One thing I would like to see more of is feedback to the manufacturers. There is always something we the modelers need or want and would like to make it known to the manufacturers. For instance, I have some JR and Hitec radios. In both it seeems very dificult to hook up 2 elevators to 2 chanels. The mixing does not work well. I have many reasons not to just "Y" them but. When I mix them, trim only works for one, and the channel I have mixed them with has a pot that can screw up the setting. With everything radios do I can't believe they don't come with an easy way of putting dual elevators on seperate channels. Everyone has feedback about something and it would be good to have a feedback section similar to the "User Tips" section many mags have now.

This request section would also work for the magazines. I would personally love to see a little more scale cross platform where they show build ups of a model and compare it to the real airplane. Perhaps even showing a small article on real airplane stuff from time to time such as a P-51 undergoing restoration. People who are interested in models generally like to see a little of the real stuff from time to time.

Beyond that, we need info and content. We could care less about how the Thanksgiving Turkey tasted.

Hope this helps,

Gary

ORIGINAL: fly109

I'm curious, what would the average modeler like to see or read about in a magazine? Any suggestions or thought would be apprieciated, Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I covered a scale meet for SRCM a number of years ago. They never paid me, they only considered it a contribution from our club. I did it a couple times because it was nice coverage for the club and it was good to get covered. After a couple of times and never getting a cent, I elected never to submit anything to them again. It was good for them in the short term but in the long term they pretty much shot theirself in the foot.

Gary

ORIGINAL: the-plumber

Screwing contributors is an excellent way to kill a magazine. Politics had nothing to do with the demise of SRCM. The publisher stiffing the contributors had _everything_ to do with the demise of SRCM. Took me three months and the threat of litigation to get paid for an article before Ed Schnepf got the picture, and IIRC AMC related that she never did get paid for her last contribution.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I enjoy R/C report, due to the fact they are very humanistic. I enjoy reading an article that sets up the writer's thought process about their personal feelings and experiences. I get the mood set in my mind and I'm ready for another adventure with Gordon, Frank, Dick, Pat or any
    of the fine writers of the magazine. I go to the R/C field not just to fly a model airplane, but to share quality time with family and friends and enjoy the outing. This is my hobby that I thuroughly enjoy. Sure, I want information from an article, but I also want a short story. Hell, I can go to a spec sheet for pure information. R/C Report is my excuse to go to Hobby Haven,
    (my favorite local hobby store) to while away a moment or two and spend my hard earned cash. This is why I don't subscribe. Anyway, if I did subscribe I would probably win one of their fabulous drawing prizes. R/C Report is the best bang for the $3.00 you will pay! I hate searching for articles in some of the other add ridden magazines. Beginners BEWARE and check with some seasoned R/C'ers before you run out and buy junk the first time around. Don't be influenced by a pretty add!!!

Maybe once I'm retired I'll become a contributing writer for R/C Report. Let's see... "Once upon a time".... or "A Long time ago, at an R/C Field far far away"...

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
    Flak
    \"Keep Em Flying!\"
    Flak

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, there used to be a great scale magazine called RC Scale Modeler.It showed lots of 3 views ,great articles and how to's.It is my understanding that a fued between the editor and abig name modeler ruined the magazine .modelers from the 70's and 80's may remember this.Wish a magazine like this was still around.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree F4B4. Scale RC Modler was the best. I have a dozen or so that I still look at from the early 90's. Wish they were still around. It featured lots of large scale planes and how to's.
    Donnie
    CratersRus

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What I remember about Scale R/C was the models in the bathing suits. We are due for a politically incorrect magazine like that again!

Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12