Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Cub

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Cub

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Cub

Thinking about building this plane in 05. I want to built a scale plane other then an aerobatic plane and I like cubs so I want to built this kit. Does anyone have any pics of the framework of one? Is it an easy kit to build and how long does it take to build one?
I have a G62 in a stinger and that works well, so if i build this I might put another G62 in it or if DA ever comes out with the 75. Does the G-62 give it enough of power to do some aerobatics like loops and stuff?
Thanks
Ryan
Old 10-06-2004, 08:08 PM
the-plumber

Default RE: Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Cub

ORIGINAL: Ryan Nau

Thinking about building this plane in 05. I want to built a scale plane other then an aerobatic plane and I like cubs so I want to built this kit. Does anyone have any pics of the framework of one? Is it an easy kit to build and how long does it take to build one?
I have a G62 in a stinger and that works well, so if i build this I might put another G62 in it or if DA ever comes out with the 75. Does the G-62 give it enough of power to do some aerobatics like loops and stuff?
Thanks
Ryan
Does the G-62 give it enough of power to do some aerobatics like loops and stuff?

You're building a _Cub_, right ? "Loops and stuff" ? With a 140" _Cub_ ? Stall turns, maybe. I dunno 'bout "loops and stuff".

I've got one of those on the building bench now. Lotsa photos available.

Look under "Models on the bench".
Old 10-08-2004, 01:33 PM
DamonTX

This is a picture of mine just before the first test flight. We did the test flight before finishing the detail. I put G45 in it. Not enough power but does fly very scale-like. Hopefully will be changing out for a G62 and adding a video camera this winter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30266.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	180762  
Old 12-14-2004, 03:04 PM
plane_ben

I saw a 1/3 scale Balsa usa cub at Lake Havasu last year on floats flying on an OS 320 four stroke. The pilot was doing scale loops, barrel rolls, and side slips with ease. A G-62 should be more than enough.

Plane_ben
Old 12-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan:

Just a thought: Make a quick trip to Florida and I'll sell you a brand new 1/3 scale BUSA Cub that only has 10 flights on it, never dinged, covered with Century 21 fabric for less than the price of the kit and the fabric. Also will include the seven new servos for a hundred bucks more. I bought it from a man in ill health to get the G-62 out of it. I already have a 1/3 scale J-3, a 40% J-3, and a 1/3 scale J4-E so I have no use for the plane., but he wouldn't sell me just the engine. I don't want to mess with crating so will keep it until someone can pick up in FL.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:49 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: plane_ben

I saw a 1/3 scale Balsa usa cub at Lake Havasu last year on floats flying on an OS 320 four stroke. The pilot was doing scale loops, barrel rolls, and side slips with ease. A G-62 should be more than enough.

Plane_ben
Sho' nuff . . .

I've got a video somewhere around here where two rider-scale Cubs are playing slap and tickle doing stall turns and rolls.

I sorta thought "and stuff", as in "loops and stuff", might mean inverted flat spins and snap rolls. Maybe with a clipped wing version, but that 140" wing won't like violent maneuvers much, methinks.

Mac Hodges does all manner of things with his well and truly giant B-29s; he also has a lot of practice building _new_ B-29s.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Wayne22

The G-62 seems to the be engine of choice for the 1/3 scale........They fly nice, but I can't say I have ever seen one upside down... Doesn't mean it can't - I have just never seen it happen!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Ryan Nau

Jim, Do you have any pictures of that Cub?? Sounds good. Is it the J3 or the super cub? I'll email you later on. I won't be going down that far south, but I will be going to the Joe Nall Giant Scale Meet in May in South Carolina.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Jim Messer

Ryan: I don't have any photos of the airplane assembled, as I have never put it together. However, here are two photos - one of the fuselage hanging in my garage, and one of the wings standing against the wall. It's really a nice airplane - very well built and flies great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90511.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	203326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15930.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	203327  
Old 12-15-2004, 05:56 PM
grandslam
My Feedback: (181)

Jim: Nice cub. How much are you asking for it? Perhaps I can send someone to pick it up if you can not ship. I have myself one 1/3 j-3 BUSA cub and 1 1/3 scale BUSA super cub.

Who makes the 40% cub and what is the wingspan? If you ever decide to sell the 40%, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Ryan Nau

Jim, I sent you an email about the Cub. I don't know if it went through of not though. The first one bounced back, but the 2nd one seems like it maid it through. I would be really interested if I could pick it up somewhere.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Jim Messer

I don't think it would be right to post a selling price for the J-3. Will do that by PM. The 40% Cub is my own design, and I am currently drawing plans and making a step by step instruction book. Should be ready sometime during 2005.

Edited 12/16 - the J-3 has been sold.