Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

DH82C Tiger Moth Struts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

DH82C Tiger Moth Struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 08:54 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DH82C Tiger Moth Struts

Can someone tell me (from the prototype, not from drawings) if the section of the interplane struts on a Canadian Tiger Moth is oval or airfoil-shaped? I have it one way on one drawing and the other way on another, and I need to replace the struts on my 1/4 scale, and I want to do it right while I'm at it. The original builder made them airfoil shaped of aluminum. I know that the 84-C's struts were different from the 84-A's (British built).

While I'm at it, can someone tell me where I can find a 1:1 Tiger Moth (preferably a 84-C) closest to Detroit, Michigan?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Idigbo

Default RE: DH82C Tiger Moth Struts

I may stand corrected, but I am pretty sure the interplane struts are oval in section, the same as the 82's over here. The difference between the 82a and the c, apart from the raked forward undercarriage, wheel brakes, top decking around the canopy area and tailwheel, is the leading edges of the wings. On the UK versions, there are riblets on the leading edge, between the main ribs, but on the c, the leading edges are plywood covered, more protection in harsh weather. The c wings were found to be very slightly better in performance. I will have a closer root in my info, and speak to a couple of blokes I know with Tigers if you can't get a definate answer, if it would help.
What scale Tiger are you building, refurbing? I am building a Third scaler, and fly a Flair Quarter scaler most weekends. Here is a pic of the progress on the Third scaler.

Ian.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40296.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	209536  
Old 01-02-2005, 11:21 AM
RickVB

Ian,

Thanks for the reply, and I would greatly appreciate your continued inquiries.

My Tiger is a Clark quarter scale, which has only flown three or four times, after which I found the original struts to be bending at the attachments. Clark originally provided the strut ends as aluminum blanks, which is what this kit apparently came with, so the builder probably felt safe in fabricating all aluminum struts. But the ends (which are single thickness, as opposed to the rest of the strut which is tubular) bend on every flight, significantly changing the relative wing incidence, not to mention letting the rigging go slack.

If you look closely at the picture below, you can see the bending on the ends of the nearest struts.

Clark has since changed the end parts to steel, which I have acquired, and I intend to use them to produce wooden struts as specified on the plans.

Name:	Hf97977.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	209572  
Old 01-02-2005, 12:40 PM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick:

Attached is a photograph (from the Web) of a DH-82C located at The Canadian Museum in Ottawa. There is also a Canadian Tiger Moth at the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario. This particular aircraft is flown regularly and possibly could be seen at airshows in the Windsor - Sarnia area.

The DH-82C had metal oval tubular struts as opposed to the wooden variety on the 82A.

Hope this helps…

Dennis

Name:	Xv64258.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	209593  
Old 01-04-2005, 08:34 PM
RickVB

Dennis,

Thanks for the info - I'm going to be in Toronto next summer and will make a point of looking up the Warplane Heritage Museum when I pass through. I'll assume you are correct, that Mr. Clark's plans are, too.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:09 AM
DP01

Rick:

Thought you might be interested in this page from "Aircraft in Profile" which mentions the metal struts. Also a pic of my DH-82A Tiger Moth.

Dennis

Name:	Rp44120.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	210888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55991.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	210889  
Old 01-05-2005, 09:14 AM
DP01

The paragraph was not too clear - 2nd try…

Name:	Ec89436.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	210890  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
RickVB

Dennis,

Thanks again for the info. FYI, your first posting was entirely readable, using Internet Explorer if you hover over a picture that is bigger than the current window, a zoom button appears which allows it to be easily read.