Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

help me decide, spacewalker vs cub

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

help me decide, spacewalker vs cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:19 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me decide, spacewalker vs cub

which would be easier to land, the spacewalker?? i would think

i have been flying both in afpd, i find the cub really bouncy, any other opionions?

thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: help me decide, spacewalker vs cub

I assume afpd is a simulator? If so, flight characteristics may be close, but I wouldn't depend on them as gospel. I haven't flown a Spacewalker, but I do have a 1/5 scale Cub, and I find it a joy to fly, but it requires attention until it stops rolling. The elevator is very sensitive, so small inputs are the order of the day, and that big wing makes the plane want to float. I find that landing works best for me if I keep about 2-3 clicks of throttle on approach, use the elevator just enough to hold the attitude level, and modulate the throttle to control the sink rate; as soon as the mains touch, I pull the throttle to idle and let the tail settle by itsself, while watching for the tendency (especially in grass) for the nose to tip over; if it starts, give just enough elevator to keep the tail down, too much elevator with too much speed and the plane might "balloon", and then stall and set down hard. I enjoy my Cub, actually an L-4, more than any other plane I have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94347.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	218135  
Old 01-20-2005, 09:15 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

I have had more than one of each of the planes mentioned. I love both but they are different animals. The Spacewalker is easier to take off and land than the Cub though. Ground handling of the Cub (and other planes of the same type) can be pretty nerve racking at times. You really have to "drive" the Cub and not let it get away from you on take off. Once it has been mastered though it is such a pleasure to fly. It does not really matter which type you choose - you will get to love them none the less.

BTW - I actually learned how to do rolling circles with my Goldberg Cub. It was WAAAY over powered using a Saito .91. I went to the most extreme throws I could as well. The best compliment I had was when the club prez, an older gentleman, told me I flew my very scale looking Cub like a pig. I really enjoyed the crazy stuff though.

Happy Landings
Old 01-20-2005, 10:06 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Seagull Spacewalker II ARF and, although it's a bit on the heavy side (which, on the plus side, means it's very crash resistant) it lands very easily. I don't have a Cub but have seen VERY experienced flyers flying one for the first time at my field and having a tough time with the landings.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:40 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I have a quarte scale Spacewalker, with a Saito 120. I occasionally allow new flyers to try it out in the air, most are amazed at how easy it is to fly, and aspire to a low wing plane earlier then they might otherwise. I fly cubs quite often, as they are popular as a second plane hereabouts. I believe the Spacewalker is easier to land and take-off then the cub. Even though it is very docile, it will tumble spin and amaze me when I fly it. I never fail to chuckle while flying it. I have a third scale cub which is a pain to haul around and put together, but it flies nicely with a quadra 50.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:25 PM
grandslam
My Feedback: (181)

I have 14 cubs of all sizes and 3 spacewalkers. The planes have very similar characteristics.

They both have big wings, so you are not going to do crazy rolls or aerobatics. If you like scale flying they are both greats. The both do very nice flat rudder turns (rudder and opposite aileron)

The bigger the cub or the spacewalker, the easier it will be to take off and land. Smaller cubs are hard to take off.

The 1/4 size cub and spacewalker is the perfect size. Easy to transport and assemble, and big enough for easy take off and landings.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:50 PM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

I like the Spacewalker best, I have a Sig 1/3 scale with an OS 300 Gemeni that is now 16 years old and it flys like a dream. It can do some mild aerobatics, I just love the lomshavocks, it looks like its doing them in slow motion. A very stable and fun flying plane.
Have fun

Del Johnson
Old 01-26-2005, 08:01 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

well i got a piper - not a cub, i got a tri-pacer, that way i dont worry about the squirlleyness

its from mosquitobite planes out of Canada, a 72" ws laser cut kit, - im looking forward to the build on this one

i think ill go fro the 1/3 sig spacewalker next