Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Exopy and cold?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Exopy and cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exopy and cold?

OK, what's the deal with epoxy and cold? I mean my 90min exopy still isn't hard after 25 hours and my 5 minute exopy is still soft after 2 hours! It's not freezing here but it's cold enough in the house to see my breath. I'm concerned whether the exopy is ever going to harden - and am I going to have to wait until summer.

Could one of you from the colder climes clue me in?

PS. Most Japanese homes do not have central air -- instead we use electric carpets!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exopy and cold?

Unfortunately epoxy materials are set as a result of chemical reaction rather than evaporation. Heat is a necessary component for a reasonable set up time. Sometimes a heat gun applied every few minutes will get the job done.
Back in the 70s I used to put catylyzed K&B and Hobbypoxy in the refrigrator and keep it for up to two weeks before it set to the point that it would not spray.
No real magic in hobby grade epoxies, it just requires 70 F or above to get reasonable curing times.
ORIGINAL: abufletcher

OK, what's the deal with epoxy and cold? I mean my 90min exopy still isn't hard after 25 hours and my 5 minute exopy is still soft after 2 hours! It's not freezing here but it's cold enough in the house to see my breath. I'm concerned whether the exopy is ever going to harden - and am I going to have to wait until summer.

Could one of you from the colder climes clue me in?

PS. Most Japanese homes do not have central air -- instead we use electric carpets!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Exopy and cold?

Thanks. I set up shop right in front of a space heater and my epoxy is epoxy again! Plus it has the added advantage of keeping me from freezing to death in my own home.