Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

B-47 RC plane?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

B-47 RC plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
pywackit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-47 RC plane?

Hey Guys, does anyone make a RC B-47? I haven't seen or heard of one and would like to make one in the far future. Can someone explain how mutli engine RC planes work, how do you achieve the same RPM for both engines so it flies straight? I'd be guessing on most of it. Thanks Rick
Old 03-10-2005, 01:45 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: B-47 RC plane?

Here is the only RC B-47 that I have heard about.

TonyF
Here's some pics of Ray Cannon's B-47 that I flew at AZ Jet Rally. It won Best Electric and Best Boeing. Retracts, doors and 4 Wemotec fans. This is really a great flier!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just emailed you a link to a set of B47 plans on that website we are not allowed to mention (starts with an "e")

Don
Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: pywackit

Hey Guys, does anyone make a RC B-47? I haven't seen or heard of one and would like to make one in the far future. Can someone explain how mutli engine RC planes work, how do you achieve the same RPM for both engines so it flies straight? I'd be guessing on most of it. Thanks Rick
BTW: I have a set of the plans of the B47 that I linked to you. It's a big plane. The plans show two Cox .15's on the inboard pylons with cut down props. The fuselage is big enough that if I get around to building it (lots of projects ahead of it) I will be sticking a .90 in the nose. If you go the designed route, I would recommend an electric conversion so you wouldn't have to worry about engine reliability as much.

It's a cool looking plan.

Don
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM
pywackit

Thanks Guys! There is hope of making one of these then.....thanks for the picture and link to plans! Rick
Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 AM
FliteMetal

10.2% B-47E project which will have a thread here soon:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52194
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: hattend
...that website we are not allowed to mention (starts with an ''e'')
Why on earth would we not be allowed to mention eBay?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 AM
FliteMetal

ORIGINAL: abufletcher
ORIGINAL: hattend ...that website we are not allowed to mention (starts with an ''e'')
Why on earth would
we not be allowed to mention eBay?

Actually the B-47D turboprop model planset from Air Age Publishing is available today for I believe $15.

While this is not scale it could be enlarged to whatever size desired to serve as the basis for a scale B-47...project of either turboprop or otherwise jet B-47...

To view the planset click the link I provided for your enlightenment.... [link]http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52194[/link]

Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Here's what the B-47 looks like with props.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92545.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1536848  
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 AM
FliteMetal

Its interesting this thread rolled over and died...

It would have been nice for more information to be shared about Ray Cannon's B-47.
There are several people following my thread who would welcome information about
something smaller. Dave in Seattle is in the middle of his built of a 1/16th which is in
need of a helping hand these days. Ray's information may be helpful to him.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 AM
FliteMetal

Default Boeing B-47E Building Resources...

B-47E Cross Sections

Back some time ago I created and shared B-47 resources to enable others to build and fly a giant scale (158"w/s) Boeing B-47. My B-47E project was delayed
for a couple of years due to health issues and construction of a retirement residence. While your first glimpse of a B-47 may seem something beyond your own
modeling experience to enable building one...there is nothing about it that is difficult to build...

.................................................. .......

.................................................. ..............

I and Sam C. are creating a pair of 158" w/s B-47E's with CNC mill, hot wire, laser cutter, from balsa, basswood, carbon fiber vale, Dow High Load Styrofoam,
polyurea resin, and most importantly, Flite-Metal aluminum "For The Look Of The Real Thing".

Most importantly, I created the cross sections for the entire fuselage...from tip of the bomb sight to tip of the 20mm cannons at the tail end. These are posted
for your convenience here: These will enlarge when clicked twice to what can easily be used to make your own B-47.

While there are well over 80 gig of B-47 resources we have amassed, the above information is definitely enough to permit you to build a B-47E.

Our pair of B-47 are powered by a pair of 20+ pound thrust 120mm JetFan EDF bifurcated within the inboard engine nacelle and a pair of 6 pound thrust
90mm outboard nacelle EDF. Power is 44 volt LiPo. Retracts are Robart 160's with a "T" strut for each of the two Williams Bros. 5" scale tires. Our scale
wheels are made by reversing parts comprising the Williams Bros. wheels to achieve the deep dish of the scale wheel.

My reasoning for making these B-47 resources available is simple. I want to see more people building any size B-47. At this point there have only been six
B-47's constructed and flown, the most recent being Bernie Lund's found on YouTube. Unfortunately Bernie's two fell victim to too many fingers in the pie at
the flying field. One of Bernie's helpers failed to plug in the elevator servo securely....on each of the two crashed B-47's Bernie constructed... ;^(. Bernie is in
the midst of constructing a third airframe which hopefully will have a pre-flight checkoff printout for everyone to check off as they "help" Bernie assemble his
B-47...
.................................................. .................................................. ........
I am in the midst of designing and constructing a pair of B-47 cockpits utilizing illustrations from Boeing B-47 technical orders accompanying each 1:1 airframe.
.................................................. ......................
.................................................. ........................

.................................................. .................................................. ................
Cockpit sits beneath an altered Bob Violett T-33 canopy. Ironically this turns out to be the basis for the actual canopy on the Boeing B-47. The difference being
at the rear where the B-47's canopy is lengthened with a section coming to a point instead of the blunt ended T-33.
.................................................. ......................
.................................................. ........................

Obviously this project is real and not just cloud shapes. You are welcome to use my resources to construct your own Boeing B-47 Stratojet.

Last edited by FliteMetal; 06-27-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Contributing Additional B-47 Scale Model Resources
Old 07-09-2019, 03:51 PM
FliteMetal

Default Boeing B-47...No Reply

Interesting there's been no response to my attempt to assist...

My cockpit is coming along well though our air conditioning went out Saturday... Installation of new system began
this afternoon. This time of year in Houston this is common.

Surprised how quickly an outside unit arrived Monday morning and inside unit this morning. Installation said to be
complete by 7:00...its 6:50 PM and its getting cooler. Tech said he would return in thirty minutes. Looked like he'd
been swimming.

Tough job this time of year.

Onward...and eventually upward.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:26 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Just as an aside, there is a B-47 on display in Altus, Oklahoma. I don't think that the paint job is particularly representative. It has been repainted a couple of times since it was moved into town in the early 1960's
Old 12-29-2019, 03:54 PM
DOC
My Feedback: (57)

Default Ray Cannon B-47

I just stumbled on this thread, and thought should answer !
Ray Cannon was a member of the "Channel Islands Condors " RC club in Camarillo CA. Ray was an excellent and prolific builder. He also built and flew a B-36. I helped him fly it several times, in the Desert at Rosemond Ca.
I left the Condors and CA in 2000 and have no info on Ray since then. He was a retired Dentist then and the Condors has dwindled from 250 members to about 30 now. I can only hope Ray is still active.
My comments here may help since for 2 years I flew on B-36's. Did you know, The inboard pods on the B-47 were retro fitted to the wing tips of the B.36 and added a boost for T.O. and climb to high altitude. They were rejeted to burn the high octane fuel used in the 6 P&W 4360's.
Regards, Dennis O'C
Old 09-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Flite-Metal

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 1:8.7669 Back On Track

Originally Posted by FliteMetal
10.2% B-47E project which will have a thread here soon:
That post was from way-back: The final size is 1:8.7669. Despite many issues we are back on this project.
Sometimes life gets in the way of having fun... Are we having fun yet?

Old 09-12-2020, 12:47 PM
Flite-Metal

We will make components available to those interested. Business start-up has interrupted the flow for too long.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:26 AM
isoexcite

Did anybody finally build one of these things? (Scratches beard as imagines some EDF power for one...)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:28 AM
Flite-Metal

Default B-47e

What size (wingspan) do you want? Some health issues got in the way for a while but resuming in December.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 10-12-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:30 AM
isoexcite

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal
What size (wingspan) do you want?
Will have to think about that...say 2m?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:32 AM
Flite-Metal

It's all about power to weight ratio... The best you are going to see from a practical sense is 1.623# of model for every pound of static thrust. Since thrust is an element of fan surface/sweep area plus the fact its a swept wing with minimum area means it would be best to stay at about 2m~3m. Ours is in CAD @ 158".

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 10-12-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Flite-Metal

Since there are few real choices for edf to select from that continue to be manufactured from reliable sources...your primary expense will be there (batteries, esc's & edf). Do you want four or two edf's for power? If you say six you will needlessly gain weight with no performance gain. Schubeler or JetFan, those are your choices at 2m~3m with 4. At 158" ours are 33# w/o batteries with two JetFan 120's.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 10-12-2020 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mgnostic (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 07:37 AM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by Flite-Metal
What size (wingspan) do you want? Some health issues got in the way for a while but resuming in December.
Glad to hear that you will be getting back to your build. The B-47 is one of those planes that I imprinted on as a child.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:27 AM
Flite-Metal

Matt,
It is that mental imprint which began this project. I sat on my front door step after walking home from elementary school and viewed B-47 bombing runs on the ordnance and industrial complex of my hometown during the "Duck and Cover" era...in the way-back machine.

.................................................. .................................................. ..............Clk2C

I was beginning to build sticks and thought it would be fabulous to someday see a model perform what was known to the AF as the...
.................................................. .................................................. .................Clk2C

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 10-13-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:59 AM
mgnostic

[QUOTE=Flite-Metal;12638084]Matt,
It is that mental imprint which began this project. I sat on my front door step after walking home from elementary school and viewed B-47 bombing runs on the ordnance and industrial complex of my hometown during the "Duck and Cover" era...in the way-back machine.

I'm not quite old enough to remember "Duck and Cover" but I recall looking at a civil defense manual before I was old enough to really understand what it was about. The family farm was west of the Ft. Sill artillery range and various ANG units would use the range for bombing practice. I can recall seeing F-100s, F-4s F-105s, T-38s and even a pair of F-111s on one occasion. In the evenings I could see C-5 Galaxies and KC-135s from Altus Air Force Base practicing refueling. The B-47 in the photo above was a local landmark and has been there for over 50 years.

I'm
Old 10-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Flite-Metal

In the course of the model development we were joined by Dick Reynolds who is amidst finishing up his 1/10th. Trips to 9 static displays of B-47's served as an audit against the dims derived from the few measured drawings available. We measured B-47's from South Carolina to Nebraska and all points between. In the end the CAD was developed. Resources were skinny until Dick's trip to Smithsonian's archives where a pot of gold was discovered in unopened Boeing microfiche. With copies of technical docs most of our blanks were filled in. We are lucky that the microfiche survived because technical records were ordered destroyed during the cold war.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.