Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What Cub For Saito 100 Twin?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What Cub For Saito 100 Twin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:32 AM
damifino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Cub For Saito 100 Twin?

What Cub kit would best suit the Saito 100 opposed twin? Float flying is also a consideration. Sig 1/4 scale? Great Planes 90" version? Absolute scale is not really important, just a good match with the engine...........Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Ray S.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What Cub For Saito 100 Twin?

I have a Saito 90 Twin in the Great Planes ARF Cub. It makes a great combination. It is not over powered, so I think that unless you want to build, the ARF would be good with the 100.
If you want to build, you may need to go to a larger model, especially if you build light.

Ray
Old 06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
damifino

Thanks Ray. Great Planes has a 90" WS Cub kit that would probably work good. I've been hesitant to consider a 100" Cub for the engine until some feedback comes in. Afraid the larger plane with floats added to the equation would be marginal on power. How about it Cub drivers?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:07 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

The Sig 1/5 Cub would be a good match with the Saito 100 if you want to use floats. I had that combination a few years ago and it worked very well. Remember that the Saito twins power output seems to be a little less than a comparable single. I have a Saito 180 in a Sig 1/4 Cub and it is a perfect combination.

Rich

---------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 06-02-2005, 04:33 PM
damifino

Thanks. I've been told to expect performance comparable to a .72 or .80 4 stroke out of the 1.00. Sound about right?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:32 AM
IFR
My Feedback: (1)

I had the Saito 100 twin in the GP 40 size Cub (did not clip the wings) and it had more than enough power, as a matter of fact I flew it most of the time at half throttle. The cylinder heads stick out of the cowl past the exhaust pipes so you do have the pipes running down the side of the cowl. I had to divide the cowl into three sections to get it to fit over the engine. If you want to do acrobatics you will have more than enough power. A major drawback to the 40 size Cub is the landing gear, just standard piano wire mounted in wooden blocks. The 40 size GP ARF appears to be about the same size as the 60 size kit and would probably be a better power match for scale flying, loops, roles, etc.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

damifino, yes, I would say the output of the 100 twin is much like the 80 single. I also have a GP 40 cub with a Saito 60 twin. That is a perfect combination. My exhaust pipes go back into the cowl and then exit out the bottom. I used an extra long fiberglass cowl, I think from Fiber Specialities--maybe Stan's and i cut it horizontally centered on the midline of the cylinders. I've done the same thing on my other Cubs.

Rich

---------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31