Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What is this plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What is this plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 04:38 PM
FlyingTyger
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this plane

It IS a Tucano. If you look at the previously posted 3-views, you'll see that the PC-9/Texan II have a large dorsal fin. The Tucano does not have this dorsal fin. The model doesn't either. Also, the PC-9/Texan II wing has a flat center section with dihedral in the outer panels. The Tucano's wing has dihedral throughout the entire right and left panels, no flat center section. The model has the same. The model IS a Tucano.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Steve_Benningto

It's not a Tucano just by default!

That's like saying 'she's a witch because she floats'

I've modelled several Tucanos, both RC and plastic kits. I'd be ashamed if either of my efforts had resembled the model in the photo for scale.

Take a look at these 3 angle views. This is a Tucano.

Canada do not, nor ever have had, a Tucano. The only link the Tucano has to Canada is it's engine.

Look at the fin strake.....

I rest my case......................

Regards,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33757_14101.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	19354  
Old 11-04-2002, 10:50 PM
FlyingTyger

Take a look at the rudder. The PC-9/Texan II had a rudder that stopped at the bottom of the fin with a tailcone beneath it that was part of the fuselage. The model has a rudder that comes all the way down to the bottom of the fuse. Your 3-views prove this feature was on the Tucano. As for the markings, you cannot decide what plane that is from the markings. If I built a Mustang and put Canadian markings on it, it is still a Mustang even though Canada never used them.(Only an example. Canada may have used the P-51, but don't recall ever reading or seeing this.)
Old 11-05-2002, 06:40 AM
MalcolmL

Default It sure is a Tucano !

From the 3 photos offered, here's what I see on the model versus the data on the full size types :-

1st photo - the junction of the fuselage to fin strake on the model is shown curved / radiussed - on the Tucano, it's a definite curve / radius too - whereas on the PC-9 it'a a definite angle

2nd photo - dihedral on the model is straight - on the Tucano, it's straight too - whereas on the PC-9 it's compound (centre section is flat - no dihedral - then cranked further out along the span)

3rd photo - elevator on the model is split (two separate parts either side of the fin / rudder) - the Tucano has split elevators too which are either side of the fin / rudder - whereas the PC-9 has a one piece (all in one piece) elevator behind the rudder and not on either side

MalcolmL
Old 11-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Steve_Benningto

I guess we're not talking 'true scale' here. However fin gussets add to the line and overall look of the aircraft. That's hardly rivet counting,

Let's say the model is intending to be a Tucano.

If you want a plane like the one in the picture then you could buy a Tucano Kit, and throw away the Fin and Tailplane Gussets, and build a different Cowl to suit the one in the picture. That would be pretty close.

Here's a photo of a truer Tucano Fin/Tail Gusset from a 'cartoon scale' version.
These are not evident on the First pictures posted in this thread

Regards,

Steve

Name:	33885_14101.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	19355  
Old 11-05-2002, 08:37 PM
FlyingTyger

Thank You MalcolmL. Steve, I agree with you that the Tucano has a fin strake. I know the model is lacking this strake. However, other details mentioned (the elevators, the tailcone, the flat center section) all say that the model is a Tucano. Yes, the cowl on the model resembles the PC-9 cowl more than the Tucano's, but if the company making this kit wanted a sport scale Tucano, the cowl is close enough. The airplane only looks to be about a 40-60 sized plane. Most kits/ARFs this size are not designed to be true scale airplanes, but the major details such as the elevators, tailcone, flat center section, and rudder are typically kept pretty scale. They may have left the gussets off for simplicity of construction/covering, especially if this is an ARF. I've put together a couple scale ARFs and haven't found them to be very scale when it comes to tiny details.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:02 PM
FlyingTyger

I finally hit my documentation collection and look what I found. Aircraft of the World sheet, number 61, Group 5 on the full scale Embraer EMB-312 Tucano. Hmmm. Look at the nose. It sure looks alot like the one on the model. The Tucano was produced with 2 different engines: the 1100hp Garret TPE331, and 1595hp PT6A-68. One engine uses the cowl on Steve's drawings, while the other uses the cowl pictured below and on the model. Look at the canopy. The bottom edge slants up from the nose. The PC-9's is pretty flat.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:13 PM
FlyingTyger

Sorry. Forgot to attach the pic.

Name:	33947_16824.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	19356  
Old 11-06-2002, 04:24 AM
MalcolmL

Default Tucano

The presence (or otherwise) of the fin strake is not as indicative as the blended radius / curve of the Tucano at the fuselage / fin junction. There is no curve / radius on the 3 view posted of the PC-9 or any of the photos I have of it. This junction is a distinct angle on the PC-9. This radius / curve distinguishes the "curvy" Tucano from the "angular" PC-9. It's a structural feature and major difference between the two types.

The straight versus cranked dihedral is another major structural difference between the two types.

The kicker, I believe, is the elevator. These structures are SO different between the two types - two piece versus one piece AND location alongside the rudder versus BEHIND the rudder ..........

The above 3 structural features - fuselage / fin curve, straight dihedral, split elevator - identify this as an attempt at a model of the Tucano. If the maker was trying to reproduce a model of the Pilatus PC-9, then with these significant non-scale "variations", they failed. Their model ended up being nearer to a Tucano than a PC-9.

MalcolmL
Old 03-12-2003, 08:31 PM
David Even

I have a 40 sized tucano for sale with minor Hanger Rash
Old 03-07-2004, 03:41 AM
parabellum

Default RE: What is this plane

go here and take a look at all available models and decide it for yourself.

http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRtypen/FRmilit2.htm
http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRtypen/FRmilit1.htm

it is different from tucano, texan2,pilatus pc9, pc21, or kt-1

so it is a bad model of one of above, or completely different model.

tucano

Embraer ALX (AT-29) super tucano

Korea Aerospace KT-1 Wong Bee

Pilatus PC- 7 Mk.II (M) Turbo Trainer

pC9

PC 21

Texan 2
Old 03-09-2004, 03:39 AM
MalcolmL

Wow ! Some of these threads hang on for ages ! I thought this one had been put to bed already ? Great pics Parabellum - thanks - where do you get them from ? MalcolmL
Old 07-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Ian.W

has anyone thought about it being a shorts tucano over a Embaber tucanop or visa versa????
Old 07-25-2004, 02:30 PM
bacplus
My Feedback: (432)

TheTexan II uses a turbine. I have factory graphics from Raytheon. The airplane pictured is a Tucano.

-Bill
Old 07-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Berk

The Tucano also uses a Turbine..........
Old 07-28-2004, 11:05 AM
YAT-28E

Maybe the tucano came from this .....

Name:	Ec89915.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	158261  
Old 07-28-2004, 11:14 AM
YAT-28E

Old 07-28-2004, 01:19 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Warbird_Pilot,
Canada actually has Mustangs:

http://www.rcaf.com/1939_1945_waryears/

"When Canadian army requirements for France were drawn up up , one of the units was to have been an army co-operation wing (No. 101) consisting of 3 squadrons. No. 400 (previously 110) squadron and No. 414 Squadron, equipped with P-40 Tomahawk aircraft, formed No. 39 (AC) Wing (RCAF). In January of 1943 a third squadron, No. 430 Squadron was added and all three squadrons were now equipped with P-51 Mustang aircraft. On June 1, 1943 RAF Army Co-operation command was disbanded and the RCAF units were transferred to the newly-created Second Tactical Air Force. "
Old 06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Cyclic_ Hardover

Where can these be found in "Giant Scale"?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:12 PM
MalcolmL

Wow ! So this thread still hangs on huh ?

Cyclichardo....not sure what you want to know. Please try posting again using different phraseology and will try to help. MalcolmL
Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

It resembles the Tucano in more ways than it resembles the Pilatus. Not only in wing layout and the shape of the cowl but also the empenage section. The elevator on the Pilatus extends back past the rudder where as on the Tucano the rudder extends back beyond the elevator.. The general outlines are similar especially with the angled canopy on both and the fact that both are turboprop aircraft.

The model is probably just a stand wayoff scale version of the Tucano. And let's not forget that different versions of the same plane can exhibit different mods for certain features. Can you imagine two kids arguing over which is the P-51? The one with the bubble canopy or the one with the caged canopy? Or which is the Messerschmitt ME-109? The one with the small conical spinner and square wingtips or the one with the parabolic spinner and the rounded wingtips?

The fact is, the gentleman that opened this post was wondering if the model pictured was available. Does anyone know who built the one pictured and if it is available?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM
MalcolmL

John - your comments more than ably summarise all the other comments from contributors to this thread. I agree that the model is not exact true scale but it's a very good eyeball scale version of a Tucano - and NOT a PC-9. The main structutral features - rather than cosmetics - that lead to this conclusion are :-

1/ the straight dihedral wing of the Tucano (not cranked with flat centre section as on the PC-9),
2/the split elevator of the Tucano alongside the rudder (not a one-piece elevator like the PC-9 which is also BEHIND the rudder

As to the origin of the model - kit, plan, ARF etc - there have been several suggestions about the source of the model. But since we have not heard from the poster (B1driver) since 2002, is it safe to say that he has already found what he was looking for or has lost interest in the subject he originally posted ?

MalcolmL