Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

GTM Hanriot Build

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

GTM Hanriot Build

Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM
V2PLUS10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GTM Hanriot Build

Hi Mark,

I considered many engines. The RCV is just a little longer, and though the firewall can be positioned where ever you need it, space behind the firewall gets very tight. But you would gain in the available space for a dummy engine. It would be really cool to turn a large prop at a slower RPM, I think it would sound more scale-like. Weight is very much a factor. The Hanriot's nose is so short that you can just(if you are foolish enough!!) hold the top wing in the center without getting your knuckles trimmed by the prop..The final weight of this model is a little over 17 pounds, but the OS has no trouble pulling it around. The RCV is definitely a possibilty! I personally would go electric if I were ever to build another...

Randy
Old 02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
mdelzer

I thought about electric too a bit....Was thinking like an AXI 5330 F3A and some A123s in some kind of saddle pack configuration behind the dummy radial to really get the weight out there. Should swing a pretty good size prop too.

Mark
Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
V2PLUS10

Hi Mark,

That is what I was thinking.I don't think they had A123's three or so years ago when I was looking, at least I had not heard of them. What stopped me was the need for two sets of flight packs for Scale Master's type competition flying, the charge times were to long for a complete charge between flying rounds for one set....just too expensive at the time.

Let us know what you decide...every time I wipe the glow fuel residue off the model I wish I would have gone with electric...

Randy
Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM
V2PLUS10

Just a little plug here......

Another Scalemasters Qualifier and my second First Place Expert trophy.

Gene, the second place winner, flew better than I did but my static score saved the day...just barely.....by 00.08 points!!!

The Championships are only about 7 hours from here, in Wenatchee Washington, and I have every intention of participating!!

One of our ISS club members made the trophies. CNC cut into corian....pretty neat!!

Randy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50440.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1223507  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats Randy!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 AM
larrysutherland
My Feedback: (2)

Great Job, Randy!! I've got a Qualifier at Ukiah, Ca this weekend and one in Mollala Or in August to get qualified. Sure hope I do. It would be great to fly formation!!! Was the Gene, Gene Job? What did he fly?
Larry Sutherland
Old 06-24-2009, 03:41 AM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Way to go Randy

Del
Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 PM
V2PLUS10

Thanks everyone!! Wenatchee should be great... Our qualifier results are here:

http://usscalemasters.org/forums/index.php/page,21.html

See you in September!!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the added glories! You did a spectacular job on your Hanriot. BTW, you can post more photos anytime you want!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:47 PM
listed

Hi Randy.
I was interested in building the Hanriot for some time now and after watching you fly yours at the 2009 Scale Masters Championships in Wenatchee this past September, I now am purchasing one. I took several pictures of your plane and you can find them on our club web page at http://www.vrcas.org/ look in the gallery. I did talk to you some about the plane but not the build. I found your build and I do believe once I start building mine, I will be reading to see how you did things and how you solved problems. I flew the Eindecker that was parked not too far from you.
I just hope that my Hanriot will look half as nice as yours.

Les
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 AM
V2PLUS10

Hi Les,

I remember you and your Eindecker very well!! Thank you for taking those pictures, they are really neat. I know you will enjoy building the GTM kit and the Hanriot is really a nice flying model. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Next year I'm planning the B.C Qualifier at Vernon for sure, and Wenatchee too if the times don't conflict.

Randy
Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Goodtrip

V2PLUS10 (Randy),

Hello there. My friend and I are building a GTM Hanriot Bipe. Already got the engine for it, also an OS FT-160 twin. I am about to install the firewall and I wonder if you used any right thrust and downthrust although you didn't mention them in your build along. The instruction manuals/plans also did not mention or show any value. Just want to be sure before I proceed.
Thanks in advance. Happy Landings.

Goodtrip
Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 PM
V2PLUS10

Goodtrip,

I did not build any right or down thrust into the firewall. I wanted the prop to be as perfectly centered as possible on the cowl when viewed from the front, with the prop disc parallel to the cowl as viewed from both the side and the top. You will need to use plenty of right rudder during the takeoff and early climbout, but that is not unusual..!

I'm glad to hear that another one of Glenn's excellent kits is going together!! Are you posting any construction pictures on any of the online forums?

Randy
Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Goodtrip

Randy,

Thanks for the promt reply. I guess I have to do the same thing too. I haven't posted any pictures yet, maybe later when we get to finish the plane.

Goodtrip
Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Mein Duff

Hi Randy,
Just tuning into your thread...your plane brings back many fond memories of the original Hanriot hanging in the Swiss Military Museum in Dubendorf. I must have a least 50 detail shots of this aircraft mostly from below as this one hangs close to the ceiling there...so hard to get top wing shots.. I lived in the area for many years.

I have the Duncan Hutson kit which is still on my building list.....Another friend of mine has the GTM kit and is more than pleased with it....running a V Laser 200...just the way a biplane should look and sound in the air !!

Looks like you did a nice job on yours.....just curious if you did any of the complex under cowl alu work ( lots of alu patches)...this plane has obviously been worked on a lot thus giving it that special aura with all those subtle details...

Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 PM
V2PLUS10

It would have been really great to have actually seen the one hanging in Dubendorf. The folks at the museum were helpful and sent a couple of pictures that were not available through Bob'sairdocs...I do have a couple of shots of the top of the top wing...very very dusty....I'll bet it's a 1/2" thick or more....!!

One closeup they set me shows the incredibly beat-up cowl and side panels. Those panels and the cowl must have been taken off hundreds of times...they looked almost like a wrinkled and then smoothed out piece of aluminum foil! I just could not do that to my model!! I do have the chin cowl / exhaust collector and what must be the ejection tube for the spent shell casings.

But, the more I fly it, the more it looks like the real thing, with the small nicks and dents that occur.....maybe in 90 years or so it will look just like it's big brother....I'm careful not to wipe off any of the "patina" that has developed over the years.

I kinda wish Glenn would produce a 1/3rd scale version....what a model that would be!!!

Added a picture....

Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71663.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1447627  
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: V2PLUS10
....I'm careful not to wipe off any of the ''patina'' that has developed over the years.
And just think how much LESS patina there would be if you had gone with electric! No, gas is only proper way to do a WWI model!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Mein Duff

I fully concur...gas is the way to go if your flying site conditions allow it..although the reality is that it is more and more difficult to find adequate sites in some areas of the country these days. I wish more pilots would visit some of the serious scale competitions to understand the "way of life" that building and flying scale models can become...this is not "flash in the pan" preparation,wheel around the sky type of flying, pack up and go home ( as electric would have it) ....this is reverent commitment to the complete genre of correct presentational WWI flying. That starts at home with checking all systems...knowing you will have at least 1/2 an hr. or more, of fully enjoyable Zen time putting your beauty together, fueling up, and cleaning up the oil residue only adds to the patina....any scale modeler knows how to prevent this from harming his model with correct building foresight. Nothing compares to the site and sound (4 Stroke hopefully) of a WWI model flown in the scale like manner of the original......in this regard we can appreciate the jet guys with their turbines...finally the total package at our fingertips !! Now wheres that hun at now??
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Check post. Having problems, not getting very many pictures. Randy I may need some help.
Doc
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 AM
geezeraviation

Oh this bites! No pictures since the "whatever" the other day. This is tragic! Who do I call?
Doc
Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 AM
geezeraviation

Wow! A year since anyone has looked in here and said hi. I will get back to mine later this year, I still use this thread for reference.
Doc
Old 04-08-2014, 06:42 AM
ohaley

Getting ready to open the box and get started on my GTM Hanriot so should be in and out of this thread often!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 AM
geezeraviation

I have a direct link to it in my favorites list so I dont have to hunt for it.
Doc