RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Reply
Old 01-27-2007, 03:12 AM
  #101
maddog 71
 
maddog 71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bath, IL
Posts: 237
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Hello everybody been looking over your threads. Glad to see somebody else interested in the Mulligan.Ive been kicking around the idea of one. But the one I want is the Ikon kit. Last I heard they was retooling a bunch of kits and the Mulligan at this time is still unavailable
so I'm just waiting around to see whats going to happen.
MADDOG[&o]
maddog 71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM
  #102
old git
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: BelvedereKent, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 766
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"


Quote:
ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Hi Grump,

B&B makes the Pitts-type muffler and spring starter and a beautiful polished aluminum spinner and a whole lot of other great stuff.

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul,

I would like the know the web address or indeed the snail mail address of the B&B firm that you mention above. I rather fancy the spring starter for my G-38. I gave seen how well it starts an engine but been told that they cause the motor to loose power, I am not really concerned with maximum power.



old git - - - - - - aka John L.
old git is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 PM
  #103
TomCrump
 
TomCrump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7,026
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

JHere's the link: http://bennettbuilt.com/index.html

I've been using the spring starte on my G38s for years. They may slow the motor down a bit, but I don't find it to be an issue.
TomCrump is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:40 AM
  #104
Prop Nut
 
Prop Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral, MI
Posts: 1,722
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Tom, you have been slowing down for years. But that hasnt been an issue either
Prop Nut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 AM
  #105
TomCrump
 
TomCrump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7,026
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

I'm darn near stopped, now, David.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: Prop Nut

Tom, you have been slowing down for years. But that hasnt been an issue either
TomCrump is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
  #106
riph
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

I just purchased a Magnum 400 5 Cyl. Radial and am looking for a plane to put it on. What is the diameter of the Mulligan cowl?

Thanks,

Riph
riph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 AM
  #107
grump010
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Prince George, BC, CANADA
Posts: 53
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

The cowl diameter is 12" at the fuse.
grump010 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 AM
  #108
riph
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Thank you..
riph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
  #109
riph
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Has anyone on this thread actually finished and flew the Nolsen Mulligan? I am interested in how the model actually flies. Is it "friendly" or a handful?? The one I am thinking about buying has a Quadra 52 mounted but has not been flown.

Thanks,

Riph
riph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
  #110
GaGeeBees
 
GaGeeBees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Have two and have flown them both. They are quite friendly, as one might expect from a high wing monoplane. I looked at the ad for the plane you're considering and would buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have too many of 'em. The price is more than fair. A Q52 is plenty of engine. My Mulligan has a G-38 and my DGA-15 (Nosen Mulligan kit converted) has a Quadra 35. Both are more than enough engine. If you buy it and decide you don't like, message me. I might be interested.

Good luck,
Paul
GaGeeBees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 PM
  #111
riph
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

I juet checked your profile. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Yes you need another plane.

You have a bunch of nice planes.

Rip Holdridge
riph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 PM
  #112
GaGeeBees
 
GaGeeBees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Thanks Let us know if you buy the Mulligan. I think you'll be pleased.

Regards,
Paul
GaGeeBees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 AM
  #113
old git
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: BelvedereKent, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 766
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"


Quote:
ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Here's a picture of mine at last year's Joe Nall. Power is a Zenoah G-38 with spring start & Pitts muffler. I added an inch of dihedral to the wings strictly for looks. It looked like the wings were drooping without it. It didn't noticeably change the flying characteristics. If I could do it over again, I'd definitely incorporate wing tubes. The wings are a pain to get on and off if you build it per the plans. The G-38 provides plenty of power for scale flight and more. The airframe is very light and should be reinforced if planning to hang a G-62 on the front

Good flying airplane and always a crowd favorite. Anybody who doesn't like Golden Age aircraft just has to be some kind of pervert
Hi there,

I have the Nosen kit and a new G-38 motor but have not yet been able to source a spring starter, any suggestions?

My motor has the weedeater style mag, weighs a ton, will the model carry the weight without extra ballast?




old git - - - - - - -aka John L.
old git is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:02 PM
  #114
GaGeeBees
 
GaGeeBees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"


Quote:
ORIGINAL: old git

Hi there,

I have the Nosen kit and a new G-38 motor but have not yet been able to source a spring starter, any suggestions?

My motor has the weedeater style mag, weighs a ton, will the model carry the weight without extra ballast?




old git - - - - - - -aka John L.
Hey old git! This is the place to go for all things Zenoah. I had to put some weight in the tail to balance but it wasn't much at all. If I remember correctly it was 4 ounces or less.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/

Regards,
Paul
GaGeeBees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
  #115
deckerv
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wellsville, NY
Posts: 914
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

I second Bennettbuilt.. great service, great engines
deckerv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:28 PM
  #116
old git
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: BelvedereKent, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 766
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"


Quote:
ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees


Quote:
ORIGINAL: old git

Hi there,

I have the Nosen kit and a new G-38 motor but have not yet been able to source a spring starter, any suggestions?

My motor has the weedeater style mag, weighs a ton, will the model carry the weight without extra ballast?




old git - - - - - - -aka John L.
Hey old git! This is the place to go for all things Zenoah. I had to put some weight in the tail to balance but it wasn't much at all. If I remember correctly it was 4 ounces or less.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Maybe it's my age, I'm sure I looked at the Bennett site before but without luck. I looked 5 minutes ago and found the spring starter and the size reccomendations, my motor has the small dia shaft. I have previously looked at drawings of the G-38 alongside the G-62, the starter seemed to fit only the G-62.

I'll get on to Bennetts and order the parts, guess I will get one of their cast mounts as well. It does seem that I will need to make some mods to the front end of the fus'.

I cannot recall for sure but was it your model that chewed the cowl and front end of the fus' when a prop broke? If so have you fixed the damage yet or can't you face it? It's sad but modellers either get over it or stop modelling. I've only had two models that didn't end in disaster, I sold one and the other was damaged moving it in the house. The covering of my Sr Falcon is crazed from the heat over the airing cuboard. I was in the atic yesterday looking at the unacustomed snow over our urban landscape. I found that a number of models, saved for repair, have now been hung from the roof.

Remember the chap who owned a gorilla and when asked "Where does it sleep?" replied "Anywhere he chooses". My models were like that but my wife could put a gorilla in it's place. My "Transport Library", (box room), suddenly became inacessable, it was full of kit boxes and aircraft moved from where they had been (anywhere they chose) and filled the room. I couldn't even get past the doorway.

I have decided to stick with wood prop's.


Regards,

old git - - - - - - aka John L.
old git is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
  #117
GotSky
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Castaic, CA
Posts: 328
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Hello all. I am in need of a canopy for a Nosen Mulligan, Anyone have an extra they would want to sell or have a line on where an old guy could pick on up? Thank you all
GotSky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
  #118
GaGeeBees
 
GaGeeBees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"


Quote:
ORIGINAL: old git


Hi Paul,

Maybe it's my age, I'm sure I looked at the Bennett site before but without luck. I looked 5 minutes ago and found the spring starter and the size reccomendations, my motor has the small dia shaft. I have previously looked at drawings of the G-38 alongside the G-62, the starter seemed to fit only the G-62.

I'll get on to Bennetts and order the parts, guess I will get one of their cast mounts as well. It does seem that I will need to make some mods to the front end of the fus'.

I cannot recall for sure but was it your model that chewed the cowl and front end of the fus' when a prop broke? If so have you fixed the damage yet or can't you face it? It's sad but modellers either get over it or stop modelling. I've only had two models that didn't end in disaster, I sold one and the other was damaged moving it in the house. The covering of my Sr Falcon is crazed from the heat over the airing cuboard. I was in the atic yesterday looking at the unacustomed snow over our urban landscape. I found that a number of models, saved for repair, have now been hung from the roof.

Remember the chap who owned a gorilla and when asked "Where does it sleep?" replied "Anywhere he chooses". My models were like that but my wife could put a gorilla in it's place. My "Transport Library", (box room), suddenly became inacessable, it was full of kit boxes and aircraft moved from where they had been (anywhere they chose) and filled the room. I couldn't even get past the doorway.

I have decided to stick with wood prop's.


Regards,

old git - - - - - - aka John L.
Glad to see that you found the spring starter. I also highly recommended the cast mount. I have it and found it to be a handy place to mount the bell crank for my throttle linkage as well.

It was indeed my airplane that suffered the prop break and subsequent self-cannibalization of the cowl & front of the fuse. As you so perceptively suggest, there was a long period of time where I did not want to face the prospect of fixing the damage. It was just too discouraging after all the hours of work I'd already invested. I spent some time working on some new airplanes instead and let the Mulligan project gather dust for a while. I'm pleased to report that repairs are underway and the damage, while extensive, isn't going to be nearly as hard to repair as I'd anticipated. I need to find a source for a new dummy radial engine. Anyone have any suggestions?

I know what you mean about the storage of airplanes issues. My attic contains not less than 12 models still in the box and the garage is home to over 30 more, all flyable. Just keeping batteries cycled and airframes/engines maintained is a full-time occupation. My wife has begun making vague threats about exiling me to sleep with my airplanes but I think she's kidding [:-]
GaGeeBees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:23 AM
  #119
GaGeeBees
 
GaGeeBees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 1,413
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"


Quote:
ORIGINAL: GotSky

Hello all. I am in need of a canopy for a Nosen Mulligan, Anyone have an extra they would want to sell or have a line on where an old guy could pick on up? Thank you all
I'd like to find one as well. I've been making mine and keep getting those little tiny cracks in the acetate wherever the tight bends are made. I suppose the right approach is to put the windshield material into the oven (the Mrs. will not be amused!) and heat it before forming it around the fuse. Anyone found a way to do this that gives good results without spending 40 hours building some sort of elaborate vacuum forming device?
GaGeeBees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 AM
  #120
old git
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: BelvedereKent, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 766
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

I found a Nosen Mr Mulligan kit on eBay from Rocketman.

BUD NOSEN 108 INCH MR. MULLIGAN R/C MODEL AIRPLANE KIT
Item number: 330087932551

Give it a look, the more Mulligans the better.




old git - - - - - - -aka John L.
old git is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:24 AM
  #121
Prop Nut
 
Prop Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral, MI
Posts: 1,722
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Mine is still hanging on the wall calling "Finish me!!!"
Prop Nut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
  #122
claudbosc
 
claudbosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cividale del Friuli UDINE, ITALY
Posts: 64
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Hi guis.On my Mr Mulligan I want to install a Quadra motor (50 cc glow),
is too much?

You,have other photos?

Sorry for my english....
claudbosc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 PM
  #123
Prop Nut
 
Prop Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral, MI
Posts: 1,722
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Your english is better than mine and I live here

I am going to use a Quadra 50 on mine. I have been told that it is overkill but I have a spare sitting on the shelf. One nice thing is, it will turn a scale size prop.
Prop Nut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
  #124
claudbosc
 
claudbosc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cividale del Friuli UDINE, ITALY
Posts: 64
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Prop Nut

Your english is better than mine and I live here

I am going to use a Quadra 50 on mine. I have been told that it is overkill but I have a spare sitting on the shelf. One nice thing is, it will turn a scale size prop.
Thank you for your answer.which propeller you have used?wich size do you used?

you have some photos of your model?

Claudio
claudbosc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:01 PM
  #125
Prop Nut
 
Prop Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral, MI
Posts: 1,722
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Unfortunatly I havent done anything with my Mulligan in a year or more. It is still in the bare bones. Pretty much ready for covering though. I usually use a 20-22 prop on the Quadra, it gets great power with the 20 but the 22 is a bit more scale. (IMHO)

You can see the Mulligan on the wall above my building table. I have finished a 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup, 1/4 Scale Fokker DVII, 1/4 scale Fokker DVIII and started a 1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane since I started the Mulligan. I really should get back to that thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88725.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	630270  
Prop Nut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:45 PM.