Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:12 AM
maddog 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Hello everybody been looking over your threads. Glad to see somebody else interested in the Mulligan.Ive been kicking around the idea of one. But the one I want is the Ikon kit. Last I heard they was retooling a bunch of kits and the Mulligan at this time is still unavailable
so I'm just waiting around to see whats going to happen.
MADDOG[&o]
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Hi Grump,

B&B makes the Pitts-type muffler and spring starter and a beautiful polished aluminum spinner and a whole lot of other great stuff.

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul,

I would like the know the web address or indeed the snail mail address of the B&B firm that you mention above. I rather fancy the spring starter for my G-38. I gave seen how well it starts an engine but been told that they cause the motor to loose power, I am not really concerned with maximum power.

old git - - - - - - aka John L.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JHere's the link: http://bennettbuilt.com/index.html

I've been using the spring starte on my G38s for years. They may slow the motor down a bit, but I don't find it to be an issue.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, you have been slowing down for years. But that hasnt been an issue either
Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm darn near stopped, now, David.
ORIGINAL: Prop Nut

Tom, you have been slowing down for years. But that hasnt been an issue either
Old 02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
riph
My Feedback: (26)

I just purchased a Magnum 400 5 Cyl. Radial and am looking for a plane to put it on. What is the diameter of the Mulligan cowl?

Thanks,

Riph
Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 AM
grump010
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cowl diameter is 12" at the fuse.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 AM
riph

Thank you..
Old 02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
riph

Has anyone on this thread actually finished and flew the Nolsen Mulligan? I am interested in how the model actually flies. Is it "friendly" or a handful?? The one I am thinking about buying has a Quadra 52 mounted but has not been flown.

Thanks,

Riph
Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Have two and have flown them both. They are quite friendly, as one might expect from a high wing monoplane. I looked at the ad for the plane you're considering and would buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have too many of 'em. The price is more than fair. A Q52 is plenty of engine. My Mulligan has a G-38 and my DGA-15 (Nosen Mulligan kit converted) has a Quadra 35. Both are more than enough engine. If you buy it and decide you don't like, message me. I might be interested.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 PM
riph

I juet checked your profile. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Yes you need another plane.

You have a bunch of nice planes.

Rip Holdridge
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 PM
GaGeeBees

Thanks Let us know if you buy the Mulligan. I think you'll be pleased.

Regards,
Paul
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 AM
old git

Here's a picture of mine at last year's Joe Nall. Power is a Zenoah G-38 with spring start & Pitts muffler. I added an inch of dihedral to the wings strictly for looks. It looked like the wings were drooping without it. It didn't noticeably change the flying characteristics. If I could do it over again, I'd definitely incorporate wing tubes. The wings are a pain to get on and off if you build it per the plans. The G-38 provides plenty of power for scale flight and more. The airframe is very light and should be reinforced if planning to hang a G-62 on the front

Good flying airplane and always a crowd favorite. Anybody who doesn't like Golden Age aircraft just has to be some kind of pervert
Hi there,

I have the Nosen kit and a new G-38 motor but have not yet been able to source a spring starter, any suggestions?

My motor has the weedeater style mag, weighs a ton, will the model carry the weight without extra ballast?

old git - - - - - - -aka John L.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:02 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: old git

Hi there,

I have the Nosen kit and a new G-38 motor but have not yet been able to source a spring starter, any suggestions?

My motor has the weedeater style mag, weighs a ton, will the model carry the weight without extra ballast?

Hey old git! This is the place to go for all things Zenoah. I had to put some weight in the tail to balance but it wasn't much at all. If I remember correctly it was 4 ounces or less.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/

Regards,
Paul
Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I second Bennettbuilt.. great service, great engines
Old 02-09-2007, 01:28 PM
old git

Hi there,

Hey old git! This is the place to go for all things Zenoah. I had to put some weight in the tail to balance but it wasn't much at all. If I remember correctly it was 4 ounces or less.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Maybe it's my age, I'm sure I looked at the Bennett site before but without luck. I looked 5 minutes ago and found the spring starter and the size reccomendations, my motor has the small dia shaft. I have previously looked at drawings of the G-38 alongside the G-62, the starter seemed to fit only the G-62.

I'll get on to Bennetts and order the parts, guess I will get one of their cast mounts as well. It does seem that I will need to make some mods to the front end of the fus'.

I cannot recall for sure but was it your model that chewed the cowl and front end of the fus' when a prop broke? If so have you fixed the damage yet or can't you face it? It's sad but modellers either get over it or stop modelling. I've only had two models that didn't end in disaster, I sold one and the other was damaged moving it in the house. The covering of my Sr Falcon is crazed from the heat over the airing cuboard. I was in the atic yesterday looking at the unacustomed snow over our urban landscape. I found that a number of models, saved for repair, have now been hung from the roof.

Remember the chap who owned a gorilla and when asked "Where does it sleep?" replied "Anywhere he chooses". My models were like that but my wife could put a gorilla in it's place. My "Transport Library", (box room), suddenly became inacessable, it was full of kit boxes and aircraft moved from where they had been (anywhere they chose) and filled the room. I couldn't even get past the doorway.

I have decided to stick with wood prop's.

Regards,

Old 02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
GotSky

Hello all. I am in need of a canopy for a Nosen Mulligan, Anyone have an extra they would want to sell or have a line on where an old guy could pick on up? Thank you all
Old 02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
GaGeeBees

Hi Paul,

Maybe it's my age, I'm sure I looked at the Bennett site before but without luck. I looked 5 minutes ago and found the spring starter and the size reccomendations, my motor has the small dia shaft. I have previously looked at drawings of the G-38 alongside the G-62, the starter seemed to fit only the G-62.

I'll get on to Bennetts and order the parts, guess I will get one of their cast mounts as well. It does seem that I will need to make some mods to the front end of the fus'.

I cannot recall for sure but was it your model that chewed the cowl and front end of the fus' when a prop broke? If so have you fixed the damage yet or can't you face it? It's sad but modellers either get over it or stop modelling. I've only had two models that didn't end in disaster, I sold one and the other was damaged moving it in the house. The covering of my Sr Falcon is crazed from the heat over the airing cuboard. I was in the atic yesterday looking at the unacustomed snow over our urban landscape. I found that a number of models, saved for repair, have now been hung from the roof.

Remember the chap who owned a gorilla and when asked "Where does it sleep?" replied "Anywhere he chooses". My models were like that but my wife could put a gorilla in it's place. My "Transport Library", (box room), suddenly became inacessable, it was full of kit boxes and aircraft moved from where they had been (anywhere they chose) and filled the room. I couldn't even get past the doorway.

I have decided to stick with wood prop's.

Regards,

Glad to see that you found the spring starter. I also highly recommended the cast mount. I have it and found it to be a handy place to mount the bell crank for my throttle linkage as well.

It was indeed my airplane that suffered the prop break and subsequent self-cannibalization of the cowl & front of the fuse. As you so perceptively suggest, there was a long period of time where I did not want to face the prospect of fixing the damage. It was just too discouraging after all the hours of work I'd already invested. I spent some time working on some new airplanes instead and let the Mulligan project gather dust for a while. I'm pleased to report that repairs are underway and the damage, while extensive, isn't going to be nearly as hard to repair as I'd anticipated. I need to find a source for a new dummy radial engine. Anyone have any suggestions?

I know what you mean about the storage of airplanes issues. My attic contains not less than 12 models still in the box and the garage is home to over 30 more, all flyable. Just keeping batteries cycled and airframes/engines maintained is a full-time occupation. My wife has begun making vague threats about exiling me to sleep with my airplanes but I think she's kidding [:-]
Old 02-10-2007, 09:23 AM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: GotSky

Hello all. I am in need of a canopy for a Nosen Mulligan, Anyone have an extra they would want to sell or have a line on where an old guy could pick on up? Thank you all
I'd like to find one as well. I've been making mine and keep getting those little tiny cracks in the acetate wherever the tight bends are made. I suppose the right approach is to put the windshield material into the oven (the Mrs. will not be amused!) and heat it before forming it around the fuse. Anyone found a way to do this that gives good results without spending 40 hours building some sort of elaborate vacuum forming device?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 AM
old git

I found a Nosen Mr Mulligan kit on eBay from Rocketman.

BUD NOSEN 108 INCH MR. MULLIGAN R/C MODEL AIRPLANE KIT
Item number: 330087932551

Give it a look, the more Mulligans the better.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Prop Nut

Mine is still hanging on the wall calling "Finish me!!!"
Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
claudbosc

Hi guis.On my Mr Mulligan I want to install a Quadra motor (50 cc glow),
is too much?

You,have other photos?

Sorry for my english....
Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Prop Nut

Your english is better than mine and I live here

I am going to use a Quadra 50 on mine. I have been told that it is overkill but I have a spare sitting on the shelf. One nice thing is, it will turn a scale size prop.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
claudbosc

ORIGINAL: Prop Nut

Your english is better than mine and I live here

I am going to use a Quadra 50 on mine. I have been told that it is overkill but I have a spare sitting on the shelf. One nice thing is, it will turn a scale size prop.
Thank you for your answer.which propeller you have used?wich size do you used?

you have some photos of your model?

Claudio
Old 02-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Prop Nut

Unfortunatly I havent done anything with my Mulligan in a year or more. It is still in the bare bones. Pretty much ready for covering though. I usually use a 20-22 prop on the Quadra, it gets great power with the 20 but the 22 is a bit more scale. (IMHO)

You can see the Mulligan on the wall above my building table. I have finished a 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup, 1/4 Scale Fokker DVII, 1/4 scale Fokker DVIII and started a 1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane since I started the Mulligan. I really should get back to that thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88725.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	630270  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.