Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

WWI RAF training command colors

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

WWI RAF training command colors

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWI RAF training command colors

I want to finish my S.E.5a in a something other than the standard color scheme. I spotted a black and white photo of one in training colors, but can't be sure what they are or the exact pattern. Any hints or pointers would be welcome.
Walt
Old 01-07-2006, 01:25 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: WWI RAF training command colors

Do you want to do a Britt scheme or a US scheme? How about one with a Red fuse or a PC 10 fuse with a Red Alligator on the side? The Brittish wern't too colorful compared to the Axis planes so you don't have as many different ones to choose from. Do you have any books? The Windsock data file on the SE5a is a good one as is the Squadron publications The SE5a In Action. I do have a lot of Info on the SE5a but I don't have the training colors.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Walt Thyng

Hi Bob,
the one I saw was British and it might well have been PC10 and white. The LHS and B&N, didn't have any books on the S.E.5a. I know about S/S, but not Windsock. Will check it out. I'm really surprised at how little there is on the S.E.5a on the net. Guess it just isn't sexy enough (-:
Walt
Old 01-07-2006, 04:33 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walt,

From the info I have, it looks like most of the SE5s used by RFC Training squadrons (both the RAF and Training Command were a bit down the pike yet) were pretty much standard PC10. Most used for training did not mount the Lewis gun on the top wing.

There were some night fighter squadrons that had muted checkerboard schemes. Check the Windsock Datafile book. It's a good one. Available through Hannan's Runway.

papermache
Old 01-24-2006, 10:33 PM
V2PLUS10

Hi Walt,

The SE-5a in this link is a little different. It was restored in Britain, the silver may be a training color, as the RAF Chipmunk was in later years...These are the only pics I've been able to find though...

http://www.hawker-restorations-ltd.co.uk/SE5a.html

Randy
Old 01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Walt Thyng

At first I thought those were photos of a civilian skywriter, but the unwrapped short pipes say no. I thinkthw silver was a standard Austrailian color.

I sure appreciate everyone's efforts.
Walt