Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

monocoupe 90 good second plane sk?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

monocoupe 90 good second plane sk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 PM
treedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monocoupe 90 good second plane sk?

is the sk kange a good secong plane it looks great flying
Old 01-21-2006, 09:51 AM
IFR
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: monocoupe 90 good second plane sk?

I don't consider myself an expert so I won't advise if it is the right plane for you or not. I will, however, tell you what mine flies like and maybe that will help you make your decision. Mine has a 25cc gas engine and weights around 16 lbs. The plane has a strange roll out tendency. When you first give it a little throttle it wants to start right then it will turn and start left. If you are not ready for it you will find yourself all over the runway during take off. I have found that slowly advancing the throttle through the initial right turn then adding power as it starts left the rudder enables a smooth straight roll out. The plane does lumber on take off and you need to give it a few seconds after roll out to build up air speed before turning. The tail really droops in a turn so you need to fly the rudder along with the ailerons or add aileron rubber mix in your radio. The plane flies straight and true under any power setting. It is not an acrobatic plane but will loop and roll, stall turn, etc. Landing is almost too easy. Keep a little power on and the plane will do a predictable sink right to the runway. Start cutting the power when you are 4 or 5 feet off the ground and over the field and she will settle right down to a perfect landing with only a little elevator at the end. I did replace the tires that came with the plane with some Dubro 4" balloon tires which really make for a soft landing. The hardware that comes with the kit is the poorest quality I have ever seen. Except for the contol horns (you will have to shorten the bolts on the tail horns) you are best off to throw the package right into the trash can. The aileron contol rods are threaded on both sides and will not stay tight. The clevits are oversized for the rods and have too much play. The clevits have no tensil strength and will either break during installation or in flight. The wing struts do not fit without shortening and the metal anchors used to attach the struts to the landing gear break after a few flights. I talked to the their tech group and they say the struts are not structural so you can just leave them off. I replaced their tail wheel with an Ohio Superstar set up with a steering arm connected to the rudder servo. I also used carbon fiber rods for the tailfeather support rods. Besides the hardware quality issue the plane is outstanding, a bargin at around $300 from Tower, and a treat to fly and see in the air.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:03 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: monocoupe 90 good second plane sk?

Treedog, Which one are talking about? Ther are two versions of this plane, a 20% and a 25%. I have both and consider them to be great for the money. I have a FPE 1.3 in the 20% and a FPE 2.4 in the 25%. Both are overpowered but still fly very scale.

Harry