Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

ME109's in Africa

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

ME109's in Africa

Old 01-24-2006, 05:32 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ME109's in Africa

Can anyone help me out with a link, Squadron/Signal or other source of information on ME109's flown in the African theater of operations. thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:27 PM
FastPass
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ME109's in Africa

Try Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #2 "BF109 Aces of North Africa and the Mediterranean". Amazon.com should offer it. Great reference with 52 color plates of E thru G-10 variants.

That's what I used for my Meister 109.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74607.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	396082  
Old 01-27-2006, 12:04 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I got some stuff off line, but yours is new.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:10 PM
jetmech05

for your info: not being picky but there is no such thing as a me-109 you see willy messerschmidt was not in hitler's good graces when the 109 came out so they gave the aircraft the disignation of bf-109 after where it was made.
thought you'd like to know
Old 01-31-2006, 07:04 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

for your info: not being picky but there is no such thing as a me-109 you see willy messerschmidt was not in hitler's good graces when the 109 came out so they gave the aircraft the disignation of bf-109 after where it was made.
thought you'd like to know

thought maybe you need a History lesson, as you have your "facts" a little mixed up here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3818140/tm.htm

read down, and you will understand the difference as to why it started with the BF designation, and ended
with the ME designation.

but, I'm not being "picky" or nothing [8D]

--------------------
At first it is true that ALL 109s were "BF" that is, right up until July 11, 1938. But on that date, Messerscmitt took over the Bayerische factory as well as having additional factorys of his own producing the 109 and other designs and prototypes. There simply was no "BF" factory around after that. By the early forties, the demand for Messerschmitt's designs had driven his name to prominance but it was Milch at the procument office that continued along with the desination "BF" in some official documents. This is what has caused the confusion for all these years. By the German's own designation criteria - the 109s were ME. They were not only designed by Messerschmitt but now they were all being made in factories bearing that name.

Today, some sources refer to the 109 still as BF for the simple reason that it appears to be the Forefather of all 109s. But consider this: The Bayerische factory produced 109s up until July 1938 totaling approximately 300 aircraft up though the "B" model and possiby a few "C" models. Messerschmitt factories produced upwards of 30,000! The bulk of all the varients we modelers would want to build are definantly ME 109s based upon how the Germans designated their own aircraft at that time.
-------------------
Old 01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
The PIPE

Just like Jetmech and T Burley said..."It's a BIFF , not a MEE"...!!!!!!!!!

Dear Splais:

The PIPE Here yet again...and the oft-repeated GOOF of calling a Bf 109 a "Mee" has happened yet again...WHOOPS!

You MIGHT want to read THESE two attachments I've included for you...one is from my copy of the 1971 published "German Combat Planes" volume by Ray Wagner and Heinz Nowarra, and the other one is from the February 2004 AMA magazine...some GOOD reading in realizing, that it IS the month/year date of JULY 1938 when Willy Messerschmitt FINALLY had permission from the Mad Austrian (Hitler) to acquire the firm he was only WORKING for previously...Bayerische Flugzeug-Werke...and rename it Messerschmitt Aktiengesellschaft after that time.

The Erla-Flugzeugwerke DID goof itself a few times in WW II, though...SOME of the Biffs IT remanufactured during the war DID get "Mee" prefixes by mistake on their manufacturer's ID plates as an example, but that was a RARE exception...!

It IS a BIFF...even though Dave Platt himself STILL has a hard time accepting it-TRUTHFULLY!!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64143.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	399450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65145.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	399451