Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Slowing down my flaps.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Slowing down my flaps.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:33 PM
topgun61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowing down my flaps.

Hello everyone! I am currently building a 1/4 scale piper tri-pacer from Vince Miller plans. The frame work is pretty well complete. I am looking for a device that help slow my flaps as the are being deployed. The wing is a 2 pc plug in with individual servos for each flap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have my flaps controlled by slider switch on my 9CAP (LHS) throttle side. I am familiar with the EMS/Jomar system for retacts.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 12:55 PM
airborne
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Slowing down my flaps.

Topgun,

I know that Sonictronics makes a slow-down type device that plugs inbetween your servo and receiver. I believe that is it adjustable as well. Not sure how many servos it will drive, but you might give it a glance.
Go here:
http://sonictronics.com/xcart/custom...0&cat=0&page=1
Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Check under the ATV section in your manual. If the 9C has the same features as the 9Z the servo slowing will be under that feature. If not, then the external products such as Jomar or Electrodynamics is your best bet.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:53 AM
Hisham

9C super has this same feature as the 9Z.
H
Old 02-04-2006, 09:52 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont believe the 9C has a slow feature. A friend just replace his 9C with a 9Z because he needed a slow. There is a slow of sorts, but requires some odd mixing with the throttle channel, I beleive. Not sure just what.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I took a quick look at the manual for the 9C yesterday and did not find anything that seemed similar to the speed feature in the 9Z manual. It may well be there but if it is it is called something else.
ORIGINAL: TLH101

I dont believe the 9C has a slow feature. A friend just replace his 9C with a 9Z because he needed a slow. There is a slow of sorts, but requires some odd mixing with the throttle channel, I beleive. Not sure just what.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:28 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not think the flap servo cares at all if a EMS/JOMAR slowdown is driving it.

Try it. You will like it.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:47 AM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I think that Hobby-Lobby sells a servo slowing device that doesn't affect its torque. But I wonder why you would want to slow the flaps on any single engine Piper. Most of them(even the retractables) had their flaps actuated by a Johnston bar, a lever like that of a parking brake in a car. It would take the pilot about 1 second to move the flaps 1 notch, maybe 2-3 secs to go from 0 to full deflection. I have the flaps on my Super Cub on a rotary knob that takes about as long for me to move as would your slider. The effect is very scale.
Ben
Old 03-05-2006, 08:32 PM
H5487

Uh, Beenie,

As the ex-owner of a 1961 Cessna 172 with the manual ("Johnson Bar") flap control, it would be considered poor piloting technique to yank the flaps into position. The sudden change in configuration would bump and pitch the plane to the point that it would make the passengers wonder if the pilot hit a pothole in the sky. I've flown with such pilots and I didn't have much respect for their flying skills.

Many Cessna fans hated when the manual flap lever was replaced with a motor and toggle switch. (Around 1967, I think.) The deploy and retract speeds of a motor-driven system were set by design. However, with manual flaps, a good pilot can finesse them into position with skill and grace.

I can understand Topgun's desire to slow down his flap speeds. It makes for a much smoother, and more realistic, transition to the landing configuration.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:51 AM
beenie

I would agree that yanking the johnston bar from detent to detent is poor pilot techneque. I used to instruct in a '65 150 and taught my students to move the bar smoothly, but it still only takes 3 seconds or so to go from notch to notch, about the same time the electric motor takes. My point was that you can accuratly simulate the flap actuation with the slider. I use a rotary knob on my plane. As you said, a good pilot can extend the flaps smoothly.
Ben
Old 03-06-2006, 10:04 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would one of the 9C's slider switch/levers serve to provide a slow flap function? Or is the need to manually move the slider while at the same time still flying the model be too much of a headache? Just curious.......
Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
H5487

Beenie,

I stand corrected, Sir. Your own experience with manual flaps is acknowledged.

When the seller was demonstrating his (eventually to be mine) 172, he reached down on downwind and yanked the flap lever into position so quickly that it made me wonder how much other abuse the poor plane had suffered during his ownership. (But nothing turned up in the pre-buy.) Nonetheless, after purchasing the plane, it didn't take me long to discover that such aggressive actions were not only unnecessary, but lacked the smoothness that is a sign of a good pilot.

Did you used to (or still do) fly a King Air? The highest that I went in the Beech lineup was flying an 18 in check hauler service. I love the sound of 985s in the morning!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
leszek_k

Just get yourself a Multiplex 4000 TX and all your problems with mixing/slowing/down/sequencing/God knows what problems are gone. The only thing it does not is a coffee.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:06 PM
beenie

I do still fly the King Air 200, along with a B58 and Westwind II. I much prefer the sound of Pratt's 985 over their PT6, but I can't complain much about the PT6. It is a very good engine. I've never flown the 18, but it is on the list of planes I want to fly, as is the 17. I've flown their V35, C24R, B55, E55, B58, B200 and B350. I liked all of them but the Sierra lacked that Beech feel.
I never had a student yank on flaps like that, it can't be good for the cables, pulleys, tracks, etc. Personally, I prefered the manual flaps. It was nice to be able to directly move the surface and feel what it was doing.
Ben
Old 03-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The JR9303 can slow down any servo plugged into the flap channel. In fact, the JR9303 has the ability to slow down or speed up the servos on all nine channels. Servo speed can be set from 0.176 seconds all the way up to 15 seconds for 60 degrees of rotation of the servo arm.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
camdyson

Don't forget if you have elevator compensation mixed to flap, THAT has to be slowed too. You don't want all your down mix kicking in before your flaps slowly lower.

Radios like the JR mentioned, and no doubt others, slow the mixed elevator in their flap setup. eg on my Lancair and P47's I have both flap and down elevator mix coming in at 1.5s to take-off flap, and 2s to landing flap. Off a 3-position switch. Works well.

I just like playing with all the gadgets basically!

Cam
Old 03-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my flaps on a 3-position switch also, with the middle switch for mid flaps (15-degrees). Works great.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:28 PM
DaveB

$ 9.99 + shipping will get you a servo rate reducer from "Dionysus Design". Their link is [link=http://www.dionysusdesign.com]Dionysus Design[/link]com.

DaveB
Old 03-13-2006, 12:37 PM
oldtyme

I just use the dial........for channel 6 on my 9C radio.........the flaps go as slow or fast and as minor or major deflection as my fingers allow.

Cheers,
Andy