Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

how do you get it out of the can of spray paint?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

how do you get it out of the can of spray paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you get it out of the can of spray paint?

I have been told that you can get the paint out of the can of spray paint by poking a hole in the top of the can.
I know I have read an article on this somewhere, but i have not been able to find it .
Does anyone know how to do this?
I need to get this certain color of paint out of the spray can so I can use it in my air brush?

Thank You

Julian
Old 03-18-2006, 03:55 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: how do you get it out of the can of spray paint?

I stand the paint can up normally & let it settle for a few minutes. Then take a small nail and punch a "tiny" hole in the top of the can where the top meets the side. Straight down in the narrow groove, as close to outer edge of the can as possible. Punch just enough to let the pressure out. A tiny hole about 1/16". After all the pressure is exhausted, you can make the hole larger and pour out the paint. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!
DISCLAIMER: This not an accepted practice. Don't do this if you don't know what you are doing, you could be injured, or at the very least, painted!
Old 03-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Wow that is all there is to it! I love this place! just ask a question and you can get a response in no time!
Old 03-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Russmall

I would turn the can upside down while depressing the nozzel to release all of the pressure inside before I would start poking holes in the top......RS
Old 03-21-2006, 09:10 AM
johnnylwhite
My Feedback: (17)

LOL Terry..........

How do I get all this green paint off my FACE???[X(]
How do I explain the new green racing stripe on my wifes Trailblazer (perhaps I should have masked it off FIRST)???[]
How do I explain I am a MORAN....LOL

ps....the first one is true....I learned how to do this the HARD way!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:18 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I must admit I learned that trick when I was a kid building plastic model cars. I never threw a spray can out, until I had that last drop of paint out of it. They were usaually out of pressure by that time, but not always.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:12 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HEHE, I remember when my neighbor tried that once. Some baby blue paint, he hit the awl just a little to hard and the can went POP. Everything was blue, I was just walking up to his garage when he did it. When I got in he had this wide eyed look of bewilderment. I was laughing so hard my gut hurt for days after!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: TLH101

I stand the paint can up normally & let it settle for a few minutes. Then take a small nail and punch a "tiny" hole in the top of the can where the top meets the side. Straight down in the narrow groove, as close to outer edge of the can as possible. Punch just enough to let the pressure out. A tiny hole about 1/16". After all the pressure is exhausted, you can make the hole larger and pour out the paint. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!
DISCLAIMER: This not an accepted practice. Don't do this if you don't know what you are doing, you could be injured, or at the very least, painted!
Loose the pressure with the aerosol can inverted PLEASE. That way you loose the pressure and save the paint.

As a lecturer in a college I had a colleague come to me for some thinners. He was covered, hair, eyes, face, clothes all covered in paint. He followed the instructions poorly. It was a can with a rectangular notch in the cap with the instructions "use a screwdriver to remove cap". It was supposed to suggest that the screwdriver was twisted to force the cap up. He banged the screwdriver and pierced the can.

The thinners were little help!

old git
Old 03-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Hurri

Can one not just spray as normal into an airbrush bottle to get say about 1" deep & use that , then if I need more I can repeat the process , That way i still have paint left in the can & I am not wasting the can full to get a small amount out , Comments ??
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree with Hurri. I have done this on many occassions. Just spray the paint into the jar. You will need a rag so the air can be released from the jar as you spray but it will not allow the paint to escape. Under no circumstances poke a hole in any pressurized can. It could be fatal. Good luck, Dave
Old 03-27-2006, 11:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Poking a hole in a can of charged spray paint just strikes me as a "Hey y'all, watch this!"
Old 03-27-2006, 11:21 AM
steakandale

Wow, something I learned form my dad is usefull here! I was always taught to invert the can after use and spray it upside down until it runs clear, then the tip is self cleaned. Always works for me.

For an already junked up tip, I would hit the plugged hole with thinner, works somewhat too, or go to a sewing needle to reem it out, a nail will screw up the pattern pretty bad.

Also, you can swap out a tip from another can like the primer you just used, and spray it out onto cardboard for a few secs.

I also recently read in another thread that you can stand the can in near-hot water for 10-15 mins before spraying and it flows nicely but I live in Phoenix so there's plenty of warm to go around. I would use a lot of caution raising the temp of the can, like do it outside.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:11 PM
FlyingTyger
My Feedback: (2)

Try spraying the paint through a piece of drinking straw into your airbrush bottle. Helps keep the mess down.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:41 PM
sfsjkid

I like to use a small twist drill, that way it is easy to make a pin hole which will very slowly let the pressure out. I enlarge it with a bigger drill later making sure I don't get any particles in the paint. One additional note, I've read somewhere that the paint should be left out a day or so to "de-pressurize", since the chemical used to pressurize mixes. I've only done this with my plastic model paints, but it is interesting to watch, sort of like a half flat glass of soda bubling away.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:34 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

I have found a 9MM at about 20ft keeps the paint from getting on me pretty well...

Ty
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 AM
mR JoLLy

I have recently done this with several cans of paint recently.

Like most activities that involve risk, good working procedures are essential.

What you have to be aware of is that once the hole is made the contents will begin to literally "boil". Poor preparation usually results in people getting a face full of paint. This is the procedure for "safe" results:

1. Ware clothes you won't miss! Safety goggles - close fitting type are compulsory! and work outside or in a garage, not in the house!
2. Shake the can as if you were preparing to spray.
3. If it is hot more care will be needed. Don't refrigerate the can it could do lasting damage to the paint.
4. Invert the can and hold it securely.
5. Using a small nail tap it into the corner of the tins base and do not withdraw the nail. Some gas will leak past the nail but this is OK.
6. Get a cloth and cover the nail before pulling the nail out - SLOWLY. Never withdraw it from the hole fully. You will have to replace the nail a few times as the propellant begins to boil. The position of the nail is used to regulate the evaporation of the propellant. I have found that a small zinc panel nail works well. Take your time, de-gassing will take about 2-3 minutes before the nail can be removed permanently without risk of spill. Knocking the container at this stage can cause gas to boil out of the hole so be careful.
7. Punch a nail in the base 180° from the other nail hole. This hole should be bigger than the first hole.
8. After about an hour it will be safe to pour the contents out into a receptacle. The second hole provides a vent for any remaining propellant. If you don't do this you will end up with a jet of paint spraying everything. This is where most people get covered in paint.
9. Store the paint in some form of container with a vent. Propellant will still be captured in the paint and can cause glass bottles to explode on standing.
10. Ask yourself why you didn't purchase loose paint. I did

JoLLy
Old 04-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Why not just buy the paint in a bottle or can, (unpressurized) and mix it with the proper amount of reducer? I believe this is a more sensible and safer approach, isn't it? Then, just use a paint gun or air brush with a compressor to do the job. Good luck.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: landrel t brown

I have found a 9MM at about 20ft keeps the paint from getting on me pretty well...

Ty
Put a lit candle next to the can...It's spectacular.

Don
Old 04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
tadracket

I prefer a .22 to 9mm. It is less prone to knocking the can off the kitchen table and into the floor.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:08 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

My wife found out that if you run over one with her SUV it will open also. You just have to devise a way to catch the rush of paint. Its not good for the asphault...

ty
Old 05-22-2006, 01:39 AM
sugarfox

It never fails that I get a good giggle out of some of the stunts I read about on RCU. I can't believe anyone would use a nail to poke a hole in a presurized paint can. This is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I hope no one gets hurt trying this.........jeeeez
Old 05-22-2006, 02:10 AM
mR JoLLy

John, everything in life we do has risks, they just have to be managed. I am an Industrial Chemist and I open aerosol cans at work to check the competitions products against ours. All you need it patience and the right procedure.

It's not the pressure in the can that is dangerous, it's the propellant, which these days thankfully are CFC free. Naturally if the paint was purchased loose it would be far preferable, but when needed it can be removed from an aerosol safely.

I think jumping out of fully serviceable aeroplane with a silk cloth strapped to your back is dumb, but some people have turned it into a sport. They manage the risks and follow strict safety procedures to make it as safe as possibel.

More people get killed by falling coconuts every year, than by sharks, yet we continue to walk under the trees fearless.

It's all about recognising & understanding the risk as I have said, and then managing the risk correctly.

I posted the procedure because I know it works, Julian was clearly with the intention of taking the paint out of the tin. The dumbest thing to do would be to not share the safe procedure. If done incorrectly you can injure yourself, now would I want a fellow modeller to do that - no [:-]

We come to these forums to help each other solve issues, we ask a question we see the answers, then make a balanced judgement who to take the advice from, or indeed do something different.

I think your choice of words could offend other forum users, fortunately I have thick skin

Old 05-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Rudderman98
My Feedback: (19)

Take a piece of hard paper card stock, i.e. a cereal box or Tide laundry box. Or ANY piece of paper for that matter, fold it in half with the shiny side facing towards you or the non printed side. Your choice. Point the tip of the "V" of the paper stock into your airbrush jar. Spray your paint directly onto the piece of paper in the middle of the sheet so it funnels into your jar and viola'! Works for me every time. No mess no fuss. And you still have a pressurized can of paint to use later on another project.

Your paint is in the jar without having to poke anything or get paint on yourself or your wifes car.

Do let your paint "gas off" from the propellant so it sprays better for at least 30 minutes before you spray on your project. You can tell if it is gassy by the little bubbles in the paint right after you spray it in the jar, container.

Enjoy!