Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Lockheed Orion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Lockheed Orion

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Jahna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockheed Orion

Did anybody built the Lockheed Orion?

Picturers show a 1932 Swissair Lockheed 9B Orion with Wright Cyclone R1820-E engine.

Please post all of your experience, ideas and suggestions here, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16802.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	481183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31908.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	481184  
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Lockheed Orion

Oh when you said Lockheed Orion I thought you meant this bad boy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64464.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	481189  
Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM
touch and go
My Feedback: (11)

Wendell Hostetler sells plans for the Lockheed Sirius which is a similar plane and might be helpful to you. Here's the link:
http://www.aero-sports.com/whplans/
Old 06-22-2006, 04:11 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

That picture seems a tad off. I think that is a replica and I think it is smaller than the real orion.

I have seen plans and an article in one of the Mags, its been years. I'm almost ceertain that MAN plans lists the Orion.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

If I recall correctly the difference between the Sirius and the Orion was retracts vs fixed gear. by the way the size looks right on the Swiss Air. These were not large planes. The whole Vega based series was very similar insize, because Lockheed didn't have that many molds for the fuselage.
Walt
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drew my own plans up and scratch built the orion 9D back in 1990. It is a 56" span and I moved the tail back a couple inches and the span is wider also. I flew it with a .25 and it flew great. Looking at it you would not know it is stand off scale.

I am very familiar with this aircraft. Lockheed only used one fuselage mold for all their wooden wonders, Vega, Express, Sirius. Altair, and Orion. The SwissAir is indeed an actual Orion. It was modified into an Orion from an metal Altair. This work was done at the Burbank Lockheed plant by the man who designed the Orion. Since all the fuse and wing plans were the same for these aircraft, you get any plane you want by just rearranging things. The Swiss Air Orion is an Orion. Note that the Vega, Express, Altair, Sirius and Orion were not really different planes. These were all the same plane with different configurations. That any of these variations look bigger or smaller than the other is strictly an optical illusion. The explorer is the only model, and few were made, that departed from standard dimensions. It had a longer span but still used the same rib and root forms. Once again, just a variation.
Remember, The SwissAir Orion was turned into a Orion by the guy who designed the Orion, and at the Lockheed plant to boot. How could it not be an Orion?