Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Springair retract question

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Springair retract question

Old 01-01-2003, 12:42 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Springair retract question

I have a set of Springair retracts and I need to slow the retract speed down to a more scale like speed. Does Springair make a variable rate valve?

I cannot use the Robart variable rate control valve because it has ports for both retract and extend.

Looking for advice

Vince
Old 01-01-2003, 01:13 AM
fw190d9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart valve

Vince, You can use the robart valve, just dont hook anything up to the extend port. The spring in the springair retract will take care of the extension and the release of the air from the other side of the air cylinder thru the robart variable rate valve will take care of the speed. Im using the robart valve on my mustang and it works well.
Evan Q.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Vince

Evan, I already tried what you suggest, but the bleeder (on port A) will only slow the release of air that allows the Springair to extend. I cannot get the Robart valve (when using only one port) to slow the retract speed down.

I have a Robart restrictor that works somewhat well, but the retract speed is still too fast for me.

The Springair valve really slams the retracts up hard.

Thanks
Vince
Old 01-02-2003, 07:12 AM
fw190d9

Default valve

In that case Vince, It sounds like you need one of these:
http://www.up-1.com/UP5.htm
This should cure your problem. I have 2 of the UP3 valves and they work great. The Up-5 sounds like the answer.
Evan Q.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Flyboy Rich

Default retract fix

This is easy. I too have Spring Airs and have for almost 20 years. Sonic Tronics used to make any item that would restrict the flow of air. All you did was cut the line and insert the restricter. I would drill them out with small number bits to vary the restrict rate to make one gear go up and down at a different rate than the other for a more scale look. Another way I have seen this done is by putting a wheel collar over the line and tighten the set screw to restrict the the air flow. Both work great. The wheel collar is easy to make adjustments if you keep it in the wheel well.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Vince

Thanks Evan, I have a UP valve on my P47, but I was trying to avoid buying another one. I will just purchase some restrictors and play with that.

I do not like the wheel collar idea, as it is a potential source of a leak IMO.

Vince
Old 01-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Slug

As a home made alternative to the wheel collar I have used the following method:

Fold some brass strip (I used about 3/8'wide) over the airline and drill a hole for a 2mm bolt on the far side. As you tighten the nut onto the bolt the tube is pinched and restricts the air, adjust to taste. The amount of turn on the nut to effect the retract speed is very small and takes some fiddling around with but once set it works ok. Using a wider piece of strip avoids the 'stiletto' effect of the grub screw in the wheel collar, meaning a leak is most unlikely.

I had this set up in place on a model for some years until the day the receiver switch packed up in mid air . . .

Simon.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Vince

Hey thanks Slug, that's a neat idea.

Vince
Old 01-03-2003, 01:27 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just another opinion, you can remove the set screw from the wheel collar and replace it with a 4-40 (I think) allen head bolt. That removes most of the set screw's stiletto affect.

Or if you like slugs Idea you can also use the metal bands that are used to hold fixed torque rod landing gear in (I'm probly dating my self as I have not built from a kit in a while, and those straps are now probly plastic). We retract people usually have lots of that stuff in our small parts bins. It requires two screws instead of one.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Vince

Thanks for all the great tips.

Vince