Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CD-Scaledesigns Sopwith Pup Prototype

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

CD-Scaledesigns Sopwith Pup Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:17 PM
psychotoxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CD-Scaledesigns Sopwith Pup Prototype

Actually this mockup is to verify the size and shapes of the panels as we're having talks on getting laser cut 0.5mm stainless steel panels for the kits.

Stainless steel panels would be great!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
CTDavies

ORIGINAL: psychotoxin

Stainless steel panels would be great!
Abu once mentioned his concern on using large stainless steel panels as he could see some radio interference happening. I must admit that I don't know nothing on electronic, so maybe some of the users here that do can tune in and pass on some advise.
He (Abu) drew me up some templates based on his prototype Snipe and he'll be pleased to know that they went on my mockup with nearly no changes at all. When I have perfected the shapes and sizes I'll get some samples done to see what they turn out like. Like nearly everything it'll probably all boil down to prices and quantities. If there's a minimum order of say 500 involved they'll probably last a life time and cost a fortune. One thing I've realised since I started CD-Scaledesigns is that things take twice as long to get done and cost four times what I was hoping for. [:@]

Now if Andreas (Psycho-Andy) would bring his two Snipes to our meeting next August, we'll have at least four there
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why make the panels from stainless steel? Aluminum seems like the obvious choice. Steel may cause radio problems (being a ferrous metal) and it's harder to work with.

Also as I've said, I think there may be some variation from build to build and these panels have to fit perfectly. On the mockup that Chris posted I can see some difference in how the top cowl meets the side panels. That is, the bottom edge of the top panel shouldn't overlap the side panel.

Anyway, I'd vote against stainless steel.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: CTDavies
If there's a minimum order of say 500 involved they'll probably last a life time and cost a fortune.
A couple sheets of aluminum = a few bucks
A couple of "starting point" templates = free on the plan
A couple of evenings of work = perfectly fitting panels

Why complicate things?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 PM
abufletcher

Also 0.3mm is fine for the side panels (and if fact greatly facilitates making the "flanges" that fit under other panels). The top panel, however, is better made from 0.5 aluminum.

The long, rectangular cabane panels (0.3mm) need to be glued to thin ply because, at least the way I did them, they need to be twisted slightly to fit around the struts and this would wreck all metal ones (I know because I tried).

I suppose this should all be over on my Snipe thread.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 AM
CTDavies

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

If there's a minimum order of say 500 involved they'll probably last a life time and cost a fortune.
Why complicate things?
Because my contact can't laser cut aluminium []. It burns away like hell.
As I think I made it quite clear on my previous message; I am working on this, I want to see what the samples turn out to be like, is the material 'workable' (i.e. soft, can it be bent to match the shape needed)? I want to know the price for a small run. If all of this turns out feasible, it might be a nice feature for the kits. I think a lot of people might be surprised how soft 0.5mm ss is.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 AM
abufletcher

Because my contact can't laser cut aluminium [].
Ah. []

If all of this turns out feasible, it might be a nice feature for the kits.
It would certainly set the kit apart so good luck!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:25 AM
MerlinV

Mr McDermot did build a bigger DH9. You can see details of it in an issue of Flying Scale Models. I am not sure which issue but if you check out the Model Activity Press website, you can probbaly find out which.

I love this Pup by the way. And the Snipe.

I will certainly be investing in the plans one day.

Cheers,

Hugh