Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Aeronca Champ/Citabria differences

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Aeronca Champ/Citabria differences

Old 10-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeronca Champ/Citabria differences

I'm not a real scale builder, but I would like to try a "stand way off" scale Aeronca Champ. I have plans for a scale model, but was wondering if I could bash the SIG Citabria kit and end up with a reasonable facsimile of the Champ. Did the full scale planes share many features at all, or does one just resemble the other? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Dzl
Old 10-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Aeronca Champ/Citabria differences

Airframes are very similar, however by looking at these two pictures you will notice that the shape of wingtips and rudder, cowling and windshield are quite different, and here's where you'll have the most difficulty, you'd have to scratchbuilt the cowling, the windshield of the real Champ is a very difficult one to duplicate (it would require a mold) as it has a bubble shape to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99059.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	540720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28504.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	540721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91378.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	540722  
Old 10-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Dzlstunter

Thank you for the reply and the effort you expended to come up with the comparative photos!

The wingtips and rudder shape are no big deal, and I figured I would have to do something about the SIG plastic cowling anyway. As for the windshield, I have details on my scale Aeronca plans as to how to manage that.

This is beginning to look doable.

Dzl
Old 10-14-2006, 12:29 AM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

You might want to look at the Decathlon too. It is very similar, especially the rudder, elevator, and side windows.

Harry
Old 10-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Dzlstunter

Harry: Thanx for the reply.

I'm no expert on these aircraft, and freely admit to my ignorance. I was given to understand that the Citabria was a direct descendent of the Champ. What is the relationship between the Decathlon and the Champ? Dzl
Old 10-14-2006, 11:34 AM
szig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look:

http://www.amerchampionaircraft.com/newac/newmain.htm

Regards
Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Dzlstunter

szig: Thanx for the interest and the trouble to locate the info for me!

Man, they all do look very similar!

I was opting for the Citabria because it is about the size I wanted to try, and I have had good experiences with SIG kits.

See any reason why I shouldn't?

Dzl

Old 10-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

In truth, most people won't know the difference between the two. If your needs are just to create a stand way off image, then it could be a simple as rounding off the fin, stab and wing tips, or keep going until it looks more and more like a Champ.

The sig cowl, as I recall, is in three pieces, so you could still use the back two pieces, and round off and fatten up the nose bowl to make it look champ-ish. The side windows are considerably different on the champ, but that would be easy to do during the build. You could get away with the sig windshield if you wanted to...like I said very, very few people would know the difference.....

The beauty of models is that you build them to satisfy yourself...you can take it just as far as you want til you are satisfied with the outcome...you don't need to worry about what others may, or may not, think or notice ..........

Good luck with your project !!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might get in touch with anyone that has the Bud Nosen Aeronca Champ plans and build one from them.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Dzlstunter

nony: Thanx for your interest. I think I will just do what you suggest. (Admittedly, it may be because it was what I was thinking about doing in the first place!).

About 50 years ago, I took lessons and soloed in a Champ, and now would like build a lookalike just for reasons of nostalgia, I guess.

Dzl
Old 10-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Mode One

I took a Nosen Citabria and converted it to a Aeronca 7GCBC. It had the Citabria cowl, with the rounded Aeronca fin and horz. stab tail. At one time Bellanca became involved in marketing the Citabria and developed the Bellanca Decathalon, which was the ultimate aerobatic developemant of the Citabria. Spell Citabria backwards once. The Aeronca linage is very clear, and all are related to each other. Interesting to note that the development of the Cub and Champ where fairly close time wise and the designs certainly have withstood the test of time! Both designs are close to my heart. However, although both may have sold an equal amount of renditions, the Cub is modeled so much more! Why is this?