Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

SR Batteries Eindecker Questions...

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

SR Batteries Eindecker Questions...

Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 AM
nickbee
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR Batteries Eindecker Questions...

Posted this in giant scale but didn't get any answers....

I’m thinking about an SR Batteries Eindecker for a winter build. A few questions I have:

1)Has anyone used the Zenoah G-26 with smoke? The Slimline pitts seems to be a good choice for a muffler…

2)Is there another choice besides “Klass Kote” for painting the white parts and fuel proofing everything. I’d rather not use a 2 part system since I don’t own a paint gun.

3)Any “must do” mods to this kit. I know SR stuff is well thought out, but it does not hurt to ask…

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:31 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SR Batteries Eindecker Questions...

Here's a nice page of information about the SR Eindecker:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/galler...r_e1/index.htm

You can build it as is and still impress the heck out of all but the hardest core WWI fans at the field -- or you can go all out in the scale direction.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
nickbee

Yup that's a great page! In fact I might have Paul do some painting for me on this project. Good stuff!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:02 PM
feep

Hi Nickbee,Been flying mine for 2 seasons. I have a G26 but no smoke. I use a zinger 18x 6/10 with excellent results . On calm days It climbs with just full trim on the throttle.
Couple of must do hints Fix the rigging blocks to the spars and Not just to the ribs as suggested by SR. Any hard landing will have the forward flying wire come in contact with the tire and the block will end up getting ripped out of the wing. Also get some adjustable clevises and turnbuckles for the rigging. Saves a lot of time and effort if you have to make adjustments. I use 4 turnbuckles on the bottom for the flying wires and 4 adjustable clevesis on the top landing wires. On the top, I replaced their bracket with a brass plate with a slot that fits over the top of the pylon and 4 holes for the clevises. When I set up I attach the bottom rigging first and than just 2 clevises( I leave 1 side attached to the brass plate) then I lift the plate up and on to the pylon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46095.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	556782  
Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 PM
camdyson

As Feep says, use solid blocks for the flying wires. I made hardwood blocks, drilled to slide over the spar tubes, and flush with wing surfaces. Also I'd use pinned and/or hinge-point style hinges rather than cyano ones supplied (personal preference).

Only real glitch I've hit with my build, is where hatch sheeting and cheek sheeting is CA'd on in "mid-air". These components all warped a bit whilst gluing. In hindsight I'd use aliphatic glue and pin down whilst drying - bit easier said than done though!

I've added side steps, wing compass, and will be adding fuel gauge, ammo' covers, hatches etc for a bit of added effect. NOTE - aluminium should have a "squiggly" turned finish, not the pretty circles SR show (sorry Larry!)

Great kit overall - I'm thoroughly enjoying the build. SR have been very helpful too.

(will post photos once ready for covering - plan to stain structure too)

Cheers,

Cam D.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:38 AM
feep

Yeh I 've seen a lot of Eindecker cowls with the swirls done in a regular pattern and that is not how the real aircraft appeared. The swirll effect was very random and that is almost harder to do than a regular pattern. I simply sanded the cowl and sides with a 400 grit wet n dry and than I used the steel brush tool from the dremel tool on a slow speed.
If you want the plane to look just a little better you can also put some fairings on the landing gear and pylon. If you use bass or hardwood it will also strenghten the gear. I used basswood and made a groove to accept the wire. I epoxied them to the gear and then wrapped them with some of SR's metal tape.

Name:	Qo40470.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	556955  
Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 AM
nickbee

Good info guys! I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I get deep into the kit. I’m planning to start the project by the end of the month.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Your gonna love it. Most enjoyable build i've done in years.

Bud

Name:	Wu61429.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	557140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93674.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	557141  
Old 11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
camdyson

Hey Feep,

Nice pics. Like the dummy Oberusel! Do you know what the words near the little black reinforcement patches on the fuz say? Any close-ups as a font guide? (Don?)

Cheers,

Cam
Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 PM
nickbee

Feep,

An image of the hardwood blocks for the wing flying wires would be great. I plan to make that mod....
Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 PM
camdyson

I'll post some in the next day or so.

Cam
Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 PM
feep

Hey Cam, Good to hear from you. The words are Hier aufassen forward most and the last 2 points say Hier unterstuen with 2 dots above the "u" after the "t" I'll see about getting a font. The Oberusel is actually a Photo of a Le Rhone which Don ( Abufletcher) supplied on another thread. I doctored it up a bit and mounted it on a piece card board. I doctored the pic by removing the red spark plug cover.
Nickbee, I didn't use blocks because my wings were already built. I drilled holes in the blocks and wired them to the spars and than wrapped the blocks to the ribs with coverite. The drilled block idea is so much more simple provided you incorporate them as you build the wing. However you do it, I can testify that it will save you head aches. I have made a few hard landings and the wires ended up behind the wheels with the aircraft nosed over and the rigging remains intact.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:05 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: feep
Hey Cam, Good to hear from you. The words are Hier aufassen forward most and the last 2 points say Hier unterstuen with 2 dots above the "u" after the "t" I'll see about getting a font.
The forward points say "Hier anfassen" ("Grab hold here" ) and the rearmost says "Hier unterstutzen" ("support here" ) -- as Feep says there are the two little dots ("umlaut" ) over the second "u." Unfortunately, "Hier auffassen" would mean something like "Perceive here"

My understanding is that these were applied as stencils -- so the font is probably a fairly simple san-sarif font. I ended up using a slightly fancier "German-looking" font -- for no particularly good reason.

The Oberusel is actually a Photo of a Le Rhone which Don ( Abufletcher) supplied on another thread. I doctored it up a bit and mounted it on a piece card board. I doctored the pic by removing the red spark plug cover.
Feep, thought I recognized that! I'll repost that photo later (the image isn't on my current computer) but it's of a LeRhone Type C. What you have removed would be the brass-colored exhaust pipes -- which the Oberusel didn't have. I might suggest running black sharper along those edges though! I plan on using this "trick" on my Snipe and already have a great photo of the BR2 to use. I think to really make this illusion work, it's important to print the photo with as much color and contrast as possible on high quality, glossy photo stock. It won't win any scal contests but it looks good enough for flying photos.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:00 AM
feep

Its just a quicky expirement and the results were not that bad. I cut off the copper pipes and used a sharpy to touch up the cylinders. I Did go around the edges with the marker but it looks like i'll have to revisit that agian. What I did was take your photo and copy the best three cylinders over three times than I cut and pasted them together. I think you are right about the glossy stock but because I had to take out the intake tubes and go over the cylinders with the sharpy, it would have been more noticable. I fouund a pretty good photo of an Oberuesel on line and I think I will try this technique with it. BTW Don, thank you for the Idea. This Eindecker with a Zenoha G26 does not have enough room for a built up dummy engine and with out something in the cowl its pretty noticable even during flybys.
I'm going out tommorrow' I'll try and get some pics of it flying.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:33 AM
abufletcher

Here's a rough version on the "dummy" on my Snipe. At the moment, it's just the raw print. I'll be mounting this on thin ply and spraying with PU. I might add a bit of "depth" with bamboo rods covered in aluminum tape for the rocker rods. We'll see. And then I'll be doing some cutouts for cooling (basically removing all the black).

Name:	Om31918.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	557530  
Old 11-10-2006, 02:41 AM
abufletcher

Feep, any chance you could get that to pin-wheel in the propellor wash? That would be a pretty cool trick! I've made up a second "spinning dummy" image that I'll use for in flight photos. This is simply accomplished in Photoshop with: Filter > Blur > Radial blur

Name:	Yv66082.gif
Views:	39
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	557534  
Old 11-10-2006, 05:11 AM
camdyson

O.K., here's the blocks epoxied to spars/ply ribs, plus my mod to the root to add aluminium skins on top and compass.

Name:	Wu60312.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	557552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15923.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	557553  
Old 11-10-2006, 05:21 AM
camdyson

Couple more - the brass skid protector was pure artistic license, for practicality. I'll do a bit of local reinforcement to make up for the step holes!

Thanks for the info re the markings guys - can't wait to get to covering and those sqiggles now

Cam

Name:	Om34538.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	557554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40872.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	557555  
Old 11-10-2006, 06:37 AM
abufletcher

That's looking REALLY good!

BTW, getting the "random patterning" seen in period photos of the EIII is a definitely a challenge. Overall, it has the random look of galvanized metal but up close you can see the individual "squiggles." I found that when I consciously tried to imitate what I was seeing in photos, it came out looking too "designed" or "imitative" (and it didn't help matters that I kept seeing Arabic words appear).

In the end, I just thought of the guy there in the Fokker factory, polishing away at these cowls day in day out and figured it must have gotten to be a pretty mechanical process -- something you could do WITHOUT your brain turned on. What worked for me was just to give the cowling light 2-3 secord bursts with a borrowed eraser tool. I tried not to look too closely and just tried to get a certain "density" of squiggles.

Name:	Ur52405.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	557575  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:39 AM
abufletcher

This shot shows my "squiggle pattern" better.

Name:	Da83530.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	557626  
Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Bud Faulkner

Isn't that the BUSA eindecker? How did you get the aluminum finish on the plastic cowl. I have the kit and wondered how to do it.

Bud
Old 11-10-2006, 10:47 AM
nickbee

Great pics Camdy! Looks like the block mod is easy enough.

Abu, that is a great look. Can you post a quick "how to"...

thanks again guys,, now I REALLY can't wait to get started!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:12 PM
camdyson

Knowing Don he probably used an unsuspecting aluminium saucepan for the cowl.......[8D]
Old 11-10-2006, 05:22 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Bud Faulkner
Isn't that the BUSA eindecker? How did you get the aluminum finish on the plastic cowl. I have the kit and wondered how to do it.
Well, it started out as a BUSA eindecker but after building the wing (the only part I kept, though in modified form) I decide it was WAY too "sport scale" for my tastes so I entirely scratch built the rest from the Nieto drawings (scaled up to the size of my wing).

This was my first ever scale model (and as a matter of fact my first ever RC build) so it was very much of a learning experience. I started out with the kit ABS cowl and tried applying FliteMetal but that was less than satisfactory -- also by that time I had realized that the kit cowl was both seriously too small and seriously too deep to be anywhere close to scale -- so it was off to the "pot" shop!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Bud Faulkner

Camdyson was right!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.