Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pilatus PC12

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pilatus PC12

Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
weskel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pilatus PC12

Has anyone ever designed scale landing gear out of composites? I have always thought it would be cool to try.

Make a mold and then use carbon fiber strips and carbon fibers about 1/8 inch long with and epoxy resin, it would be light weight, but I don't know how strong they would be.

Isn't it funny how we all have so many ideas, dreams, and rarely act upon them????

I always try to design my models with room for any scale upgrades you can make.

Kelly
Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 PM
pirit4
My Feedback: (1)

I dont know if the fiberglass can support the whole wheight of the aircraft. Also, how would you design the whole mechanical system to make it retract? Are you talking about an existing landing gear? Thats why I would just "dress up" a wire landing gear becuse designing a retract from scratch is sort of a daunting task, these mechanical engineers spend months designing that stuff. You could probably design the "dress up" out of fiberglass, but keep the gear metal, remember, structurally, all of the load gets transferred to those landing gears. the whole airplane load + impact will have to be absorbed by those 3 landing gears, so it has to be really strong and thats why you dont see the gears on any airplane made out of composites, only fuses and wings. Also, I pick my battles, If I know I could do something practically, I'll do it. If its not practical, its easier to just buy a ready made assembly.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 AM
oldtimer143

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here (finally) are the photos I promised of the hell hole cover.

Cheers,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84858.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	928476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51332.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	928477  
Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 AM
JEFFHINES73

Hello

Well oldtimer you got the job i allways dreamed of [>:] I loved the blog and now have it bookedmarked love seeing parts of the country i have yet to see (( Im from the states but moved here about ten years ago as my wife is from here ) anyways keep up the great work .

P.S is it wierd but i love to fly in planes but im scared to death of hieghts lol .

jeff
Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 PM
oldtimer143

Hi Jeff,

Glad you like the blog. I don't get too much time to update it at the moment but every now and then something interesting pops up and I photograph it. I take my camera with me pretty much all the time - plenty of opportunities when you fly all the time.

As for being scared of heights - quite common. I suffer from that problem, and have difficulty climbing scaffolds and ladders. I think it is the perceived insecurity of the height that causes the most trauma. I'm quite happy in an aeroplane at any height and attitude, and have even jumped out six times! First jump was the best because the training had left me so conditioned to respond to the jumpmaster that I just did what I was told and didn't think too much about what was happening. Second jump was pretty scary though! They were all static line except the last which was a brief freefall. THAT whas exciting!!!

Cheers,
Greg
Old 05-09-2008, 04:01 PM
pirit4
My Feedback: (1)

Hey old timer, can you take pictures of the interior of the cockpit for me? I would really like to see what it looks like in there.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 AM
oldtimer143

This isn't actually one of ours, but it is the same. It's an early model, of which we have four still online, but it only differs from the Series 10 in switch positions etc. The equipment is the same as is the performance. The Next Generation PC12 is now being sold, and it has a complete glass panel, designed by BMW supposedly. We'll have some of those on order in the next year or so and they'll be even more fun to operate I'm sure.

Name:	Fd92029.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	947260  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 AM
matt13

Hey OLD TIMER, here is a shot of the panel of a series 10, if you can see around "boff head".

Name:	Rp43132.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	952538  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM
oldtimer143

Hey everybody..... there's a fine example of what I have to work with....!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
oldtimer143

Progress at last....

Luis, good to hear that the parts arrived. I hope you like them. I tried to send the following by email but it bounced back. Therefore, I'm hoping you check in here and see this post.

A couple of points that have come to light with my fuselage (I've been very slow because we've been busy at work).

With F4, you may need to hollow it out depending on what size/shape fuel tank you plan to put in. I was planning on a smaller one but have now decided to go for longer endurance and that means that I'll have to use either two smaller tanks in the current space, or cut the former to allow me to slip a larger one in. Remembering, the nosegear retracts into this area too.

Also on F4, the top slot is too large and of course needs to be packed so the 3mm top longeron will be secure. I'm just going to use a couple of ply scabs as there is plenty of strength in the nose area anyway.

You will need to check the clearances of all the slots as some were not quite wide enough. It only involves a few passes with some sandpaper, but it is better to find out before you have applied glue of course.

You will note that the triangular servo tray in the tail needs to be cut along the line so you can incorporate it. When I designed the smaller version, I initially had it cut in one piece and then realized that I couldn't push the tray through F13. Makes sense when you step back from it, but at the time I was pretty involved in it and the work was just "flowing" so nicely I didn't think about it. Also, this tray needs a little trimming on the sides, about 2.5mm from the rear sides, tapering to about 1mm at the front. Just put F12 and F14 at either end and you will see what I mean. The sides should be flush with the formers of course.

The ply nosegear supports also need about 2mm off the top surface so they end up flush with the formers.

Other than that, I've not seen anything of note. Hope you're enjoying yourself with this model. I'll be away in New Zealand for the next three weeks and will be getting back to work on the PC12 when I come home. I'll be contactable by email in the meantime for any questions.

If anybody else is interested, I'm going to do another run of parts once I have the basic structure complete and make sure any changes are done. At this stage, I'm going to be offering the formers and ribs (all the laser-cut parts) for US$250.00 plus shipping. Although they won't be available for a couple of weeks, I'm happy to take expressions of interest and keep in touch with you etc. Just let me know.

cheers,
Greg

Old 11-08-2008, 03:04 AM
oldtimer143

Hi everybody,

Here's a little bonus for those of you building this model. It's a 1/8 scale instrument panel graphic that you can print on an inkjet or laser printer and glue to your F4 former if you plan to have a detailed cockpit etc.

I'm also doing the outside graphics for labels and warnings etc. but that will be a couple of days yet. I'll let you know when that's available.

Cheers,
Greg

Name:	Ay73478.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1067670  
Old 11-08-2008, 05:14 AM
mac91

Pirit4, in regards to the composite landing gear, there are both RC and full scale aircraft using it, If you were to copy an existing gear and make it out of solid carbon, you would be laughing it would be as strong as if it were made from steel with minimal weight.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Bajawfo

Any way I could get a copy of your pc-12 in 1 1/6 scale? thanx. I'm looking to scale it down in to a reasonable size for rubber free flight. send to [email protected]
Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 AM
mac91

Hey Greg, How is everything going with the PC12?
Cheers,
Sam
Old 03-16-2010, 04:39 PM
weskel

Hello All,

I have been out of the country for awhile and away form my computer.

Has anyone ever went further on this build?

Weskel
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 PM
oldtimer143

Hi folks,

well, life continues to provide challenges and take time that I would otherwise prefer to use building, but that's probably a pretty poor excuse really. I'm still looking at my PC12 fuselage gathering dust in the side of the hangar and I'm planning to get back to it after a couple of smaller projects are finally out of the way. Time frame? No, I haven't got one yet, but soon....

Incidentally, I'm currently in Switzerland picking up a full size PC12/47NG and will be starting the trip back to Australia tomorrow. I've put a few photos on my blog at http://thommorfds.blogspot.com/ if you're interested.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of my plans out there now, but I've not heard back from too many about their progress. Come on you lot - you can't ALL be as busy (or perhaps lazy) as me.... let's see your progress and models, and hear your comments etc.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
roaddog2

Any chance of a set of th' plans for me? I'd really like th' large scale.
Tnx,
RD
[email protected]
Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (444)

Did I read this right? You have drawn plans for the Pilatus PC-12. If so, can I get a copy in any format as a file or paper. Tell me how much you need and I can send a postal money order or use paypal. I want to model this plane badly. Thanks for your time. I found the 3 view drawings on the manufacturer's web site, but they have not part templates.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:21 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (444)

I'd like to order the plans. How much do you want for them? I can pay with paypal, or postal money order.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I like it, someone brought this back from the abyss. The only question is if Greg is still around because I would love a set of plans as well
Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 PM
oldtimer143

Hey folks,

Great to see some interest in the PC12. Plans for this and more available at www.horizonsnz.com

Can also supply detail photos of full size for reference.

Cheers,
Greg