Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

SR Eindecker E1 Winter Build Along…

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

SR Eindecker E1 Winter Build Along…

Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SR Eindecker E1 Winter Build Along…

Nick - I'm not sure what camdyson is referring to as I didn't use the bellcrank for the rudder. We hooked the cables directly from the servo to the rudder.

The rudder slides up on the post each flight which is annoying. The cover of MAN showed the same problem in the issue where they reviewed the kit but the review doesn't mention it. In any case, the rudder isn't coming off but it sure looks stupid.

There's probably an easy way to fix it which might be putting a slot in the post and putting a screw through the rudder shaft to slide in the slot. Might be worth considering before you get there.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 AM
nickbee
My Feedback: (7)

Cam,
Thanks for the heads up but as CafeenMan mentioned I plan to not include the rudder bell crank. Just seems like a unnecessary piece of hardware to me. I’m also planning to fabricate a new servo tray to mount the elevator servos symmetrically.

CafeenMan,
I saw that article in MAN and have been scratching my head on what to do about it. The screw and grove idea has crossed my mind. I will explore it more once I get that far.

Back to the Ailerons. They are finally done! The last step was to glue a balsa doubler to the bottom of the ply tip. This will get blended in nicely later when everything is sanded to shape. The ailerons matched up great with the wings. All that is left is to sand everything to shape and hinge the aileron. But I’m starting the tail feathers this weekend so those tasks will have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80768.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	603010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82597.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	603011  
Old 01-21-2007, 07:25 PM
camdyson

Hmm,

Not sure about the rudder bellcrank being "unnecessary", although I agreee it could be left out. It's main function is to take the tension of the closed-loop system off the servo bearings, and isolate them in the bellcrank bushing. I don't bother on my sport models, but don't fancy losing rudder on a 1/4 scale plane. (Yes, I know, we all use ballraced metal geared servos etc. !) Don't take this as criticism, I just wanted to clarify why the bellcranks are probably there I definitely DON'T like using z-bends at this scale either - have replaced all with 4-40 solder clevises.

I'm pondering the rudder retention problem too - would rather it stays put! I plan to slot the carbon tube as suggested, and pin the rudder through it. Just need to ensure it won't bind.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 01-21-2007, 08:07 PM
skylarkmk1

Cam,

I don't have the kit or the plans, but it is my understanding that the rudder post is a Carbon Fiber tube. If the builder extends the rudder pivot hole with a smaller hole through the fuse bottom and screws a bolt with washer up into the tube enough to eliminate the tube lifting, but loose enough to allow proper rotation, think it would work? It may need a piece of plywood built into the tail to act as a bearing surface. To hide the bolt, the builder could recess the bolt hole far enough to hide the bolt head. I could draw a genaric picture if needed, let me know.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:03 AM
camdyson

Hi John,

Unfortunately the carbon bearing rod extends well below the fuz and becomes the tailskid support post. The rudder has another carbon tube inside it, which slides over the rod in the fuz, and it basically just floats there. Rudder cables prevent it rising too high, but not entirely.

I think I know what you mean, but suspect this design foils it. Thanks for the input though,

Cam
Old 01-22-2007, 10:09 AM
skylarkmk1

Cam,

Thanks for your reply. Without the plans/kit, I was unaware the rudder post pivoted around the tail skid post and therefore negated my suggestion. It was a shot in the dark.

If the rudder post is over the tail post, could a captive wheel collar be placed over the bottom of the rudder post? Due to the brittle nature of Carbon Fiber tubes when compressed by a set screw, I would place the collar as far down the tube as possible to prevent the tube from cracking/breaking near where it exits from the fuse, losing a rudder is not good. Large diameter collars are used as drill depth stops if you can't find one large enough at the LHS. A piece of brass tubing inside the collar and around the CF tube would hold the tube and lessen the chance of crushing the CF tube. If the rudder post is inside the tail post, all the above is negated again.

The reason I am trying to help solve this problem is that the SR Eindecker is on my list of planes to build and I would like to have this little problem solved to the benifit of all and before I get the kit. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
nickbee

Cam,
Since you are ahead of me on this build let me know what you end up doing for the rudder "issue"

SkyLark,
Get the kit! You'll like the build.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:21 PM
skylarkmk1

Thanks Nick, its near the top of my list. Need to finish what I am doing now first (don't we all say that?). If I keep it out of the shop, I can resist temptation, I can resist temptation, I can resist temptation... (dieters say this mantra also)

In place of "Q-Tips", go to the craft store and get the little nylon brushes, something like 8 in a pack, they work much better than "Q-Tips" for applying glue (Tite-Bond type). The "Q-Tips" fray and don't fit in small areas too well, the brushes will fit in a 1/8' slot easy. Keep a small jar or cup of water to put the brush in after applying the glue. It is also a source of water to thin the glue if need be. Paper towels nearby are also a help.

Name:	Ki18578.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	604249  
Old 01-22-2007, 04:31 PM
skylarkmk1

Nick,

In reference to posts 101-103 about respirators, I use a 3M Mask (model# R751ES) that uses 2 replaceable cartridges for organic vapors (3M 6001) with a pre filter (NIOSH approved P95 particulate, available in boxes of 10 for replacement often). This model has a silicon face piece that is much more comfortable and better fitting than the soft plastic used in other masks. It fits far better than those cheap paper "dust" masks, easier to breathe through and to me is cooler. Yes, it is a bit more expensive ($30-$35 I think) and bulkier than others, but the benifits out way the lesser products. I use it when painting and using dope (you can't smell them), working with fiberglass (mixing, sanding, grinding) and just general sanding of wood. I keep it clean by storing it an a gallon size ziplock freeze bag. I know a couple of other brands have the same rated filters, but this was available at the local Sherwin-Williams paint store.

Name:	Wu61234.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	604276  
Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 PM
nickbee

Hey guys I’m back. Sorry I’ve been so out of touch but conflicting hobbies and other stuff in life have kept me from building. For an example of a conflicting hobby see the 1st pic of this post (my Honda RC51). On a nice day it’s a great distraction.

That being said the colder months are on their way here in northern NJ and it’s time to get the cob webs off this project (for winter #2 coming up).

I did get some great motivation to start building again from a well packaged parcel from FL! Paul of www.airfieldmodels.com completed my pilot / wheels / gun. I wish the photos I took could give the pieces justice.

Also see a few articles on his site that shows the process of mounting and painting the bust and gun construction…

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...bust/index.htm

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...bust/index.htm

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...ot_bust/02.htm

BTW the AMAZING weathering and shadowing on these pieces gets me to thinking of the rest of the models finish (which seems very far away right now). I’m thinking just the covering and decals might look too “clean” to match. I might have to consider some weathering techniques once I get to that point…

Name:	Zx70814.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	750463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59545.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	750464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74350.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	750465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68288.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	750466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88498.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	750467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs12527.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	750468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi85965.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	750469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr58940.jpg
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	750470  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy43188.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	750471  
Old 08-26-2007, 09:31 PM
nickbee

So back to building. I left off at the horizontal stabilizer. The manual has you 1st constructing the trailing edge lamination with just dry fitting the ribs for alignment. I’m going to go a little out of order here and glue up the rib laminations 1st. There are 6 of them total so this will take a few steps as I only have enough clamps set up to glue 3 at a time. Like all my other laminations I’m using slow cure finishing epoxy for strength and a warp free cure.

Name:	Vt57336.jpg
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	750473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93608.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	750474  
Old 08-27-2007, 12:27 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I've ever seen quite such a meticulous build before! It's all looking great but I might comment (re the title of your thread) that it is now late summer/early fall.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:57 AM
nickbee

Thanks Abu! Too bad I can't change the title to "Winter #2 build" (it will be here soon enough)...

And not being on a timeline / rush with this project helps my patience immensely!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Yank II

What happened?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:35 AM
gabriel voisin

Hello Nickbee,

how many years have you now been working on this model?

The start was in 2006,..... is it now finished?

greetings gabriel