Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Best scale photo!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Best scale photo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 AM
strega7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best scale photo!

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

100% scale is unobtainable. But a good 95% is probably doable on some aircraft types. It's all theater...
agree with you. Tell me some types which will be 95% scale. I dont think that there are many. In my eyes, scaleshots are only makeable and believable with groundshots. Parked ac, sometimes taxiing. The angle should be right or left from behind, the camera positioned near to the ground and only on tarmac or sand. All those sitting-in-the-grass-shots are not very plausible cause of the plant size. The best way to produce a really scale shot will be successful with planes of the great war, big scale (1/3 or so), sitting on sandground in the mist with contemporary poor photoquality. The classic dawn patrol shot. There are some of those aweseome shots in these thread and here I agree, these are scaleshots.
The rest ? Good photography with some some good models.
In my eyes the significance of this thread is, to "get an eye" whilest photographing the models, to get the better shot. To find the "Schokoladenseite", will say the best look of a plane, to play with the shutterspeed and of course to rework the shot with photoprograms. To produce the perfect scale shot is nearly impossible. So the task is to learn and produce better shots of of course better models

Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 AM
strega7

The problem is that we modelers often know too much. It's like magicians watching magicians.
Oh yes, thats a big problem

I can pick apart most WWI aircraft, but won't notice even large errors on the WWII birds.
Thats easy, just look at the original photo. Often the faults/mistakes are easy to find. As a reference lets take the beautiful caputured Thunderbolt a few post above :

from left ... swastika too big with incorrect angle, the yellow paint on the tail is too wide, the German cross is too big, the letters are too high above the horizontal line, the triangle for fuel quality is too big. The antenna mast is missing ... just look at the original photo and you see the mistakes in a second. But its a really pretty modelairplane with a rare paintjob. I love it really. Its the same as discussed some posts above concerning the Fokker Eindecker. Its pretty easy to avoid mistakes. Here its helpful to take a look at those plastic-modelers, their work is sometimes unbelievable ..... but they cant fly .... poor men
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17416.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1842815  
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 AM
strega7

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

This is an awesome thread. I just love all of the pictures of the full size and the R/C planes. Here are a couple of pictures of one of my favorite subjects. Hey Strega, you may recognize this plane?

Enjoy............

David
YIEHAAAAAAAAA stunning shots !!! May I use them on the homepage of MeierMotors ? Btw. who´s at the controls ? Achim Meier ? Thx for sharing, I love that bird, and yes, there are some of my fingerprints inside wing
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: strega7

The problem is that we modelers often know too much. It's like magicians watching magicians.
Oh yes, thats a big problem

I can pick apart most WWI aircraft, but won't notice even large errors on the WWII birds.
Thats easy, just look at the original photo. Often the faults/mistakes are easy to find. As a reference lets take the beautiful caputured Thunderbolt a few post above :

from left ... swastika too big with incorrect angle, the yellow paint on the tail is too wide, the German cross is too big, the letters are too high above the horizontal line, the triangle for fuel quality is too big. The antenna mast is missing ... just look at the original photo and you see the mistakes in a second. But its a really pretty modelairplane with a rare paintjob. I love it really. Its the same as discussed some posts above concerning the Fokker Eindecker. Its pretty easy to avoid mistakes. Here its helpful to take a look at those plastic-modelers, their work is sometimes unbelievable ..... but they cant fly .... poor men

Thanks for finding the flaws, but the flaws are not based on the picture of the original but from other documentation. The TF-p47 dimensions are not quite correct. If you try to paint the model per the picture nothing lines up. For instance the yellow tail would end way to early if you follow the picture because the tail wheel area is not correct for scale. The swatiska is a little large, but again if you made it the correct size then it wouldn't look quite right from the pictures because the tail isn't sized exactly right. Same with the German Cross, I followed the panel lines for the placement. Based on the plane it ends up that big.

So what do you do? Make everything size correct or be incorrect based on panel lines and design of an R/C plane?

This was my first attempt at doing "scale" and I think it turned out pretty good. Not 100% but pretty good. I'm not trying to compete at Top Gun or anything, I fly my own planes.

I like this thread though because there are many planes here that with the right picture angle look real.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

BTW....

the Swatiska is going the correct direction. Its different for each side of the plane from the pictures I could find.

Name:	Eb86867.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1842870  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM
strega7

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

So what do you do? Make everything size correct or be incorrect based on panel lines and design of an R/C plane?
pretty good question. I dont know really. I am at exact that point finishing my Hawker Nimrod and nothing fits really, cause the model has some strange dimensions. It will be a look-alike and I will try to go in between. But believe me, I am not really satisfied with it, but in my eyes, its of course the most beautiful Nimrod ever

This was my first attempt at doing ''scale'' and I think it turned out pretty good. Not 100% but pretty good. I'm not trying to compete at Top Gun or anything, I fly my own planes.
I like this thread though because there are many planes here that with the right picture angle look real.
And as I said, I like your captured Bolt very much. It looks absolute great and this is exactly the point here in that thread. At which point begins "scale" ? Okay, I am interested in warbirds and captured warbirds since about 30 years. My hobby is to research aircraft an their history. At this point you definitly see the mistakes in a second without checking your books. Is this blessing or curse ... more curse, believe me.

So I changed my mind rc-modelling and flying warbirds is fun and fun is what satifies. I dont care about the "last screw". If a wingsman says "I am happy with it" then its scale. Its his (!) scale-plane and that is it what counts in my eyes. That Bolt is your "first scale attempt" and its awesome (as I said). Thats the spirit of flying warbirds. Perhaps the next one (thinking about the wonderful captured B-Mustang) is better in shape and you can improve. Thats the deeper sense of this thread ... hope so

its partytime

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM
strega7

doublepost sorry
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

This is an awesome thread. I just love all of the pictures of the full size and the R/C planes. Here are a couple of pictures of one of my favorite subjects. Hey Strega, you may recognize this plane?

Enjoy............

David
YIEHAAAAAAAAA stunning shots !!! May I use them on the homepage of MeierMotors ? Btw. who´s at the controls ? Achim Meier ? Thx for sharing, I love that bird, and yes, there are some of my fingerprints inside wing
Hello Strega7,

I sent you a PM.

David
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 AM
mark fadely

Heavy metal .... those Bolts

Strega7 - Love this one!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Extremely impressive. Everything about it. Grass scale, etc. Beautiful ground shot.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Wow! I'm nearly attempted to accuse straga7 of cheating with a full size plane! I see no way to tell if this is full scale or a model.

Ground shots are so much more difficult, I almost think there should be a separate thread for them.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
strega7

ORIGINAL: bokuda

Wow! I'm nearly attempted to accuse straga7 of cheating with a full size plane! I see no way to tell if this is full scale or a model.

Ground shots are so much more difficult, I almost think there should be a separate thread for them.
thanks you folks for your kind feedback ... btw. @bokuda, just count the cylinders it would be the first 5-cylinder fullsize Bolt on earth the socalled P-47 Prius or so, just to save some avgas
Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Jaybird

Maybe there needs to be a time element to judge the pictures by. We already know they are models as that's the whole premise, so how about a count of how many seconds (or tenths of seconds) does it take to loose the illusion of full scale. The one that takes the longest wins!

Jaybird
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my F-100

Name:	Us54069.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1842904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97268.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1842905   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55235.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1842906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd45471.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1842907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21764.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1842908  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Picture of my 1/4 scale DR1 from around 1074 or so had around 6 flights with a quadra engine very under powered back in the day

Name:	Zx70548.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1842917  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Well, at least it's not sitting in a field of giant bamboo grass.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

file://localhost/Users/tonyos234/Desktop/IRISScan%201.6-2.jpg
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM
strega7

wowwwwww Greg, the SuperSabre inverted is the best one ... love it
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: mark fadely

Heavy metal .... those Bolts

Strega7 - Love this one!
Yes, my god this is great shot.
My wife had a trip in a harvard and when we fired up the engine in that, boy did it smoke!
So no prblems, it looks super realist.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Jaybird

Yes, the Sabre inflight shots are a great illusion. The two landing ones are pretty obviously at someone's flying field though. So again, the choice of composition and background can make or break an otherwise great illusion of full scale.

(Note: those shots have been removed from the original post)

I thought the same thing about the "rich start-up" shot of the P-47. The smoke is a great effect. Interesting that the poster Strega7 thougt it was a poor shot because of it.

Jaybird
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Warbirdguy

My c47 fly by.

WBG

Name:	Fd90804.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1842950  
Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM
strega7

@Jaybird, I love that shot really, my wingman got a poster of it.

Btw. the same ship with smoke in the air, not really scale, but I love the shot. It was the best dawn patrol i´ve seen, directly after a heavy rain shower with a magnificent sundown in the background and heavy black clouds on the other side. It was a incredible atmosphere, the Moki ran like hell and Detlef flew the 60pds ship exactly and smooth. A perfect shooting for both of us. I think after that flight we were two lucky guys, a relly rare and special moment.

yiehaaaaaa

coming home

Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
NeilHutch

Hi All,

Another 2 pence worth from yours truly -

I was enjoying some of the earlier comments, re: photography and model aircraft, but some of the more recent stuff I don't like. I think some of the previous comments are a bit pedantic, to say the least. You guys need to get out a bit and get a life! Most model aircraft have some sort of scale trade off compared with the real thing. The thing is do you want to see good pictures of model aircraft that are reasonably accurate or do you want this thread to dry up and wither because that's what's going to happen. Members will only take so many negative comments of their pride and joy before saying (add any expletive you like) to you lot I can't be bothered to post any more pictures. If we're looking at certain pictures - I'm not even sure the smoking P-47 is even a good picture, but it seems quite a few of you think it is. For me it doesn't look very realistic - I've never seen any aircraft throw out that much smoke on start up. As for the picture quality, that's not to hot either - but we all have our likes and dislikes, so perhaps one or two of you ought to go easy on some of the pictures posted. Just because you don't like or appreciate a model picture doesn't mean others cannot.

Neil
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

My 1/8th scale F-18
Kit built......NO STICKERS......all paint!

Name:	Li20967.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1842961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97290.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1842962  
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
strega7

ORIGINAL: NeilHutch

...... but it seems quite a few of you think it is. For me it doesn't look very realistic - I've never seen any aircraft throw out that much smoke on start up. .......

Neil
They do Neil, they do ... and I have learned never take a photo staying at the elevator whilest starting up a big roundengine after restoration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.