Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Best scale photo!

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Best scale photo!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:33 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Best scale photo!

Exactly!
There are many threads to post your photos of nice models...very scale models on the back patio, or less than scale models in the weeds at the field, or that hideous model that you know no better than to be super proud of.

THIS ISN't THAT Thread.

A scale model doesn't have piano wire gear or funky antennae showing. After 113 pages, I'd say you're being daft for thinking you can butt your head against the premise of this thread.

If your P-47 is a Top Gun quality model, get some scale photos of it and post them here. If nothing else, you'll hear about what would hurt it in a scale competition.

This thread isn't for just any old picture of a model plane.

And, after 113 pages, I don't think there is any need to be greatful that anyone posts images here.
We're greatful for the spectacular ones that truly make this thread what it is.
The rest...well...they'll get what they deserve...and like it!

Paul
Old 08-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Daz167

Hey Mustang,

Calm down dude!!! You are blowing this way out of proportion......remote control planes are not meant to look scale in real life......are you daft......they are toys....boys toys.......if they were meant to look real they would be the real thing......let people post their photos as you requested, as some of the photos are fantastic, there is no way that everybody can photo edit out their antennas....piano wire landing gears etc etc. You can't judge a rc plane by a photo.....don't be so judgemental...

People are posting these photos because they are proud of what they have created....be greatful that they have posted them on your thread at all. I have a fantastic looking P47 which I will deny posting on this thread because all I will get is criticism for how unscale it looks from you.....people like you should take a good hard look at themselves.....and maybe look at another line of work....maybe fashion design if you're that critical

Daz
DAZ167...
Back off MATE...
Try reading the thread guidelines again. This thread is about "Scale PHOTOGRAPHY"...GET IT!?
Maybe people like YOU... should take a good hard look at THEMSELVES and try reading a thread to which they are posting so as to NOT mis-understand to what they are participating in.
People like you make me realize why Great Britain started a penal colony.
Besides... CLEARLY , you don't know the meaning of the word "scale".
And as far as seeking another line of work(ie "Fashion Designer"? I happen to be a professional hair designer, so I know a "little something", about what the eye perceives, and sees as reality.

-M51
Old 08-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Mustang51

ORIGINAL: Mustang51

ORIGINAL: Daz167

Hey Mustang,

Calm down dude!!! You are blowing this way out of proportion......remote control planes are not meant to look scale in real life......are you daft......they are toys....boys toys.......if they were meant to look real they would be the real thing......let people post their photos as you requested, as some of the photos are fantastic, there is no way that everybody can photo edit out their antennas....piano wire landing gears etc etc. You can't judge a rc plane by a photo.....don't be so judgemental...

People are posting these photos because they are proud of what they have created....be greatful that they have posted them on your thread at all. I have a fantastic looking P47 which I will deny posting on this thread because all I will get is criticism for how unscale it looks from you.....people like you should take a good hard look at themselves.....and maybe look at another line of work....maybe fashion design if you're that critical

Daz
DAZ167...
Back off MATE...
Try reading the thread guidelines again. This thread is about "Scale PHOTOGRAPHY"...GET IT!?
Maybe people like YOU... should take a good hard look at THEMSELVES and try reading a thread to which they are posting so as to NOT mis-understand to what they are participating in.
People like you make me realize why Great Britaln started a penal colony.

-M51

OUCH!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 PM
chasrb

If it does not make me question if it is real or not, it simply does not belong here, period!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:08 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chasrb

If it does not make me question if it is real or not, it simply does not belong here, period!
By this standard this thread would be about 3 pages long and would have long since died. I think the standards have risen over time. For myself, I'd be satisfied with pictures where the photographer/owner (and ideally one would be both) made an attempt to present the model AS IF IT WERE a real aircraft. My only contribution to this thread (years ago) was a photo of my EIII held up against the evening sky to give the impression of an inflight shot made from the very unrealistic (unrealizable) position of about 10 feet in front and a to the right of the spinning rotary engine DURING A DIVE. There is no possible way that this photo could have been made with a ground based camera. Is the model flawless? Certainly not.

My point? For me it's all about theatrical effect. And in fact I'll take a good bit of theater over a technical perfect shot of a model in broad daylight against a featureless blue sky 9 out of 10 times. In other words, for me it's the PHOTO not the MODEL. For example, I like the shot below. But it's not perfectly sharp and the P-51 is sport scale at best.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18785.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	744735  
Old 08-18-2007, 09:23 PM
abufletcher

BTW, here's a bit of "pure theater" I shot recently of a real Apache in Japan.

Name:	Wu59995.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	744746  
Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 PM
abufletcher

Here's another off-beat, standards testing photo. Does it look like the real deal? At least for a second?

Name:	Om34243.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	744767  
Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 PM
sebo

If that antenna, that is hanging out of the tail, would have been hanging from the bird's beak it would have looked as thought the bird was carring material to build a nest!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 PM
RichieN
My Feedback: (5)

Almost. The anntenna aand the square wingtips killed it for me.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Garret H
My Feedback: (15)

Just took these today at the Rocky Mountain Big Bird festival in Colorado. LARGE Sea Fury with 5-cylinder radial engine, and very realistic combat "weathering."

Name:	Qn38584.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	744788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52600.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	744789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70042.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	744790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70907.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	744791  
Old 08-18-2007, 10:05 PM
sebo

He's gonna get you on the weeds and the power lines. This thread is not so much about model aircraft as it is about photography skills. It is just that the creator has chosen model aircraft to be his main theme instead of something like cars or trucks. It sure does get a lot of activity.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Garret H
My Feedback: (15)

Hey, I got background though.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:20 PM
sebo

I like your pictures. If they get rejected, put them in my thread!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 PM
abufletcher

The one with the model over the clouds is great!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: sebo
This thread is not so much about model aircraft as it is about photography skills.
Very few of the photos in this thread really work AS PHOTOGRAPHS. Most rely primarily on the quality of the OBJECT OF THE PHOTOGRAPH. The craft here is perhaps similar to the task of photographing a work of art. It is the photographer's job to take the very best photo possible, a photo that will show the "object de art" off to its best -- and yet not overpower the art of the object to make an artistic statement of its own.

I'm reminded of a story. I was once serving as the judge for a student photography competition in the Sultanate of Oman. One visitor to the exhibition stood transfixed in front of one particular photo of a camel. It was a technically competent side view, in focus and correctly exposed. But there was nothing whatsoever artistic or creative or invocative about the shot. It was just a camel standing dead center in the frame. So I asked him why he found this particular photo so enthralling -- to which he answered: "That is a VERY expensive camel!"

Old 08-19-2007, 12:19 AM
abufletcher

On the topic of photography, if I might take some pedagogic liberty with one of Garret's photos (which was quite a good photo to begin with), one of the defining elements of a good/great photo is composition. Now within the frame of that one photo there are, in actuality, almost an infinite number of possible compositions. Some are better than others. Perhaps only one or two are perfect. Perhaps one would be better suited to a vertical magazine cover (with room for the title) than another perhaps "better" horizontal shot.

Each is different photograph. Some (the tighter crops) would have needed a much longer lens to retain the same image quality. Most of the photos in this thread show the model dead center -- like the camel in my story above.

Name:	Tr50547.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	744897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10173.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	744898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69470.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	744899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74290.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	744900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37772.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	744901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13861.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	744902  
Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 AM
abufletcher

And as one final comment, one of the most outstanding photographs of a real aircraft I have ever seen was an air-to-air shot done with with a 35mm lens from close enough to see the pilot's eyes!

Name:	Ca81291.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	744929  
Old 08-19-2007, 03:02 AM
Mustang51

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Here's another off-beat, standards testing photo. Does it look like the real deal? At least for a second?
A bird is NOT an aircraft, especially one that trails an antenna.

I guess now's the time to re-post those photo requirements...

The photos should be the following...

A) The aircraft modeled must be that of an actual aircraft.

B) The model should be a "SCALE" model.
meaning...
It should look like the aircraft that is being modeled. If the real plane had strut and wheel covers... so should the model(it should'nt have music wire struts). There should be no rx antennas showing in the photo. If the real plane had a 3 or 4 blade prop, and this is a picture of that plane(model) on the ground? Then the model should have a 3 or 4 blade prop, not a Zinger 20x10. etc...etc.

Think of this as a kind of "Top Gun" of photo threads.

And finally, that brings us to the most confusing of the requirements of the photo.
...C) The photo should be "of an angle that you would actually be looking at the aircraft" or "as the eye perceives it".
...meaning...Don't post the picture of that beautiful Mustang with a guy holding it during engine run ups.

C1) "Out of scale" or "detail" pictures are fine as long as they are posted along with "their" "Best Scale Photo".

Thanks to all for participating...it's going great.

-Mustang51
Old 08-19-2007, 03:51 AM
Mustang51

ORIGINAL: sebo

He's gonna get you on the weeds and the power lines. This thread is not so much about model aircraft as it is about photography skills. It is just that the creator has chosen model aircraft to be his main theme instead of something like cars or trucks. It sure does get a lot of activity.
Sebo, This thread is EXACTLY about model AIRCRAFT, which is why you find this thread in the " RC Scale Aircraft" section of RCU. This thread(which "most" people "get")) is about taking a picture of an accurate miniature reproduction(SCALE model) and making it look (through good photography) as if it(the aircraft) were "the real thing".
In this thread, there are some pictures
In this thread, there are some pictures of models.
In this thread, there are some pictures of really nice models.
In this thread, there are some really nice pictures of some really nice models.

NOW HERE'S THE DIFFERANCE!!!

In this thread, there are some GREAT PHOTOGRAPHS of some GREAT MODEL AIRCRAFT.
Meaning... I can't tell if that's a picture of "REAL" airplane, or a picture of a GREAT model because of two things.
1) The photograph is nicely done. i.e. exposure, composition, ect.
2) The model is an accurate reproduction of the "REAL" aircraft.

Sometimes... Things aren't so complicated if we take the time to read the directions. But then again, we're guys... and when all else fails, read the directions.

-M51

Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
sebo

I've read the instructions several times. I even removed my photos because they didn't qualify. That is why I started my own thread.
I think that your thread is fantastic! I really enjoy it.
I'm not trying to be critical of it. In fact, I promote it. I too, am now looking for things that obviously make the photo great.
You are actually teaching many of us how to take good/great photos.
I never had these skills and have, therefore, hired professional photographers to take the photos when I needed them for magazine publication.
I hope this thread continues a long, long time.
Thanks for taking on this responsibility.
Sincerely, Ron
Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 AM
reinlepson

Here is my favorite plane.

Name:	Tr50407.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	745066  
Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Mustang51

Nice shadow...
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 AM
bla bla

Ahhhhhhhgggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!
Surely the last few of pages have to be the worse in this threads fabulous history.
What is going on?
Why are people posting any old picture?
.... and what the heck are all the pictures of jets flying at model meets?
Junk picture in the the contex of this thread.

What's to be done?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Teus

Let's try again, Your opinion please.

2 1/3 scale Pup's with scale prop's!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:17 PM
abufletcher

Gorgeous photo! One of the best posted here in recent times!!! Getting two great models together in one great photo is 2-squared hard!

BTW, a standard 3:2 crop and a little judicious use of the Highlight/Shadow function in Photoshop (to compensate for the high contrast in sky scenes) yields a stronger photo IMHO.

Name:	Om32171.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	745103  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.