Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flair Bristol F2b Build

I am building the Flair F2b as my winter project and thought I would say hello.
    Have built most of the fuz, 2 wings and am at the aileron cutting out stage - so having fun reading Dud's plans.
    Some of the plans need careful consideration, but all make sense eventually. To me, thats half the challenge of building a proper kit.

Anyway, I am going to build it with plugin wings with the centre sections bolted on and am seriously considering going electric.
    Want to make this a convienient plan for the club field, not something I spend 45 minutes rigging, 4x10 minute flights, 30 minutes derigging and 30 minutes cleaning - poor fun to chore ratio !!!
    I do have a Laser 100 to go in it, but really hate cleaning the muck off solartex covering.

So, looking at the Axi 4130/16 on 6 Lipos.
    Only thing holding me back is the small matter of the Β£350 that would be required to buy more cells, speed controller and motor!!! - The Mrs might notice it on the bank statement

I am also in the process of researching the subject to be modelled.
    We have 3 flying examples in the UK and will probably go for either the one in the middle:
    Bristol F2b D8084
    No.139 Sqn RAF
    Villaverla Aerodrome
    September 1918
    Originally formed in March 1918 as 'Z' Flight and attached to No.34 Sqn in Italy for long range reconnaissance duties. By July 1918 a second flight had arrived and the combined unit was known as No.139 Sqn RAF. The original marking of two vertical white bands soon gave way to four white and three black bands and ultimately expanded to the 12 and 11 depicted here on D8084. This aircraft also carried a spanwise w/b/w stripe between the upperwing

Or Mckeever's who was the No. 1 F2b ace

Thought I would just open up the topic and see if anyone has got much to say.

Tim Farrar has a wonderful thread on RCGroups on the topic
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523854
    Not looking to beat this, just looking for advice on plugin wing conversion and electrifying a fat, draggy glow WW1 biplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flair Bristol F2b Build

there was a very nice article in one of the magazines on this plane with elect. conversion about 2 years ago. i cant remember which magazine it was in but it did give details as to what they used and how it all worked out
    I once had a drinking problem.....I divorced it, now shes someone else\'\'s problem
    waco brotherhood # 140 BUSA brotherhood #88
    currently flying proctor albatross x2, busa 1/3 nieuport 28, reeves 1/3 camel, 1/3 airco DH1a
    on building board 1/4 beech staggerwing, repairs underway 1/3 carf gee bee r2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

scorian :

All right ! I came across your build thread right here at the begining.
    I dont know of any tips for making the wings in halves as you mensioned but do know that 3 Sea Bee's sell a ARF Bristol that is exactly the way you are wanting. http://www.3seabees.com/bristol/images.html I wonder if you could get in touch with them and see if they would sell you a set of plans to do that.

They are pretty nice people, I have contacted them before about their exhaust.
    The man I spoke to was Robert Brooke and he was very nice so he may be able to help.
    He also called me on the phone, you just dont get nice service like that often.

I look forward to your build and seeing how the wing ideal you have comes out. I wish I had done the same.

SEEYA, TIM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44017.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	609855  
    Build light to fly, not strong to crash.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~timothyfarrar/index.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tim - glad you found me - you sound like you know your stuff.

I calculated the lower wing incidence last night at 3ΒΊ does that sound about right to you?
    I calculated it on the basis that on building, you chock up the wing 50mm and the rib is 740mm out. I made this near as dammit 1/15 and if 1/1 =45ΒΊ, that makes it 3ΒΊ.

Only thing I can't calculate from the plans is the upper wing incidence - is your upper wing approximately the same (i.e are the wings parallel)? It's just the Flair Boeing Steerman is the only one quoted and that is 3 and 1.7

I love a challenge of a different build - The way I am planning to do it is 3 carbon rods through the centre sections exactly horizontal. The forward and rear rods are about 4mm and extend 100mm into the wing, the centre 8mm and extends 250mm into the wing each side. The aluminium wing tubes are going to be set in the wing with epoxy right on the centre spars and against light ply plates. Will take pictures and post before sticking it together. This means the tubes and rods will be at an angle to the wing - starting at 7mm from the top surface of a rib and ending up 24mm from the top surface right on the inner interplane rib.

Other mod I am planning is to motorise the scarf ring so that the rear gunner rotates from port to starboard.
    Will take some pics of the current state - but acknowledge that I have miles to go.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

scorian :

You hit the nail on the head with the insodence. Thats the one thing I couldnt figure out by the plans. No matter how much I studied and searched.
    I hope I dont disapoint you with my answer but I just went with how it turned out and then checked it.
    My bottem wing is pretty much dead straight and the top wing has a slight .5+ incodense. (.5 being one half a degree) So it is a very slight difference.
    I am planning on just trying it because its such a slow flyer anyway but I would have actually prefered it to have been the bottem wing with the .5+ insodence.
    What do you think ?
    I hope I havnt ruined your opinion of my building but I may as well be honnest. This is the very thing I have been thinking about lately.

I will say this that may make us feel a little better about the insodence.
    Ive had several Bi-planes and on two of them I have played with the top wing insodence and all I noticed was I had to change my trim to fly level without climbing .

Wish me luck !!

SEEYA, TIM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: timfarrar

scorian :

All right ! I came across your build thread right here at the begining.
    I dont know of any tips for making the wings in halves as you mensioned but do know that 3 Sea Bee's sell a ARF Bristol that is exactly the way you are wanting. http://www.3seabees.com/bristol/images.html I wonder if you could get in touch with them and see if they would sell you a set of plans to do that.

They are pretty nice people, I have contacted them before about their exhaust.
    The man I spoke to was Robert Brooke and he was very nice so he may be able to help.
    He also called me on the phone, you just dont get nice service like that often.

I look forward to your build and seeing how the wing ideal you have comes out. I wish I had done the same.

SEEYA, TIM
    Man, some of the MQ planes they turn out here are AMAZING! Check out the rib details on the MQ Brisfit in the "museum quality" section of the site. Gives a new take on ARF!!![X(]

I'll add it to my Christmas list if anyone needs any ideas

Cam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cam :

Im right with you there my friend !!

They are absolutely amazing arnt they ?

I seen the Tumalissa go for $250.00 on ebay several months ago. If I remember right it cost $750.00 before shipping and the shipping on them ARF's is a lot because they are way more fragile than a normal ARF.

They are so nice that there needs to be another word for them like Pree Assembled or something.

SEEYA, TIM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3 Sea Bees ARFs are simply amazing. They should be called PRE-ASSEMBLED since they were assembled then dis-assembled for packing. I have three and love them all. DP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dai Phan :

I am currious, If you dont mind telling.

What is the shipping on one of their ARF's ?

SEEYA, TIM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh-oh, I look into my crystal ball and see a big dent in Tim's Visa card.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cam :

Thats very funny

I wish you were right, but I really am just currious.

I bet its a lot because Im sure they require a lot of special packaging.

SEEYA, TIM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't forget Kalderen & Welch
    They also make some amazing scale designs

http://www.kwmairpl.com.ph/KWMuseumP...MQCode=RC-08GB

As regards to packaging - yep, it's special -
    "The airplane is packed in a strong 3-ply, custom made carton. The individual parts are packed in sealed plastic bags and then wrapped in bubble plastic to ensure safe transport."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

scorian :

Ya, You know ? I think they may be affiliated because there is a link to Kalderen & Welch on 3 Sea Bee's website.
    Ive never payed atention though as to if they are the same plane's or not. Maybe I'll look in a minute.

I never told you that its a cool ideal to make that scarf ring turn.
    I didnt but I made my pilots hands move with the throttle and elevator. I was going to make moveing pedals for the rudder but I realized that you could never see down in there.

SEEYA, TIM