Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/2 Scale Fokker D-8

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/2 Scale Fokker D-8

Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM
puplover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2 Scale Fokker D-8

Wow Tom!! Funny how it went from looking like a big model wing to looking like a true replica wing.
Good to see Norm following the build. I didn't go to as many meets as you but I sure remember everyone asking if Norm Goyer was going to show up. He always showed a genuine interest in the goings-on and was always friendly and open to talk to. Sure miss the mag.
I think a lot of us are wondering when the guns and rotary will be built, or arrive. Not rushing you, of course.

Jack
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM
TKFOKKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack
I was hoping you would start working on the guns!!!!!!!!!!! I still have the cowl to finish, the cock pit to finish, the wing needs metal access panels, copies of the real ones. So there is still so much. Then of course the Dummy engine and machine guns. Rhinebeck in two weeks!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 PM
AROPLANE
My Feedback: (52)

hi tom tom here who rushing but it still looks like you have three week not two for Rhinebeck its sept 11
will see you then
tom
Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 PM
TKFOKKER

Awesome!!!!!! What day is it today Tues? Sat.? Oh ya Thursday, Right." Time" NEVER enough.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:48 PM
normgoyer

That's the one, there were two bipes in the hangar at Northampton, MA airport, the Spartan C-3 and Brunner Winkle Bird. I don't remember why but I picked out the Spartan. On my 60th birthday I sat in the cockpit again after all those years and my brother took a pix. I would love a recent pix, thank you so much. The airplane wound up in Roger Atwood's hangar (Roger died 2 weeks ago at 88) Then it was sold to Cole Palen and he flew passengers with it until the Whirwind Engine wore out and they could not get any more parts for it, then it was put in museum. Norm
Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 AM
puplover

OK Tom, tell me where to find the specs for the model Spandeau you need and I'll look it up and tell you if if I can do it. You want it scale, right?? Ha Ha. Seriously, I have the time, as you know, but it would have to be perfect and look new and I've always dealt with used, but hey, I wouldn't have to put dents in it!! I'll take a look anyway.
Jack
Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 PM
TKFOKKER

Tonight I sanded down the wing with 1200 grit paper. As you can see it really looks crummy after. Then I brush it down, wipe it with alcohol, then with a tack rag. Here you can see that the second coat really looks great. Tomorrow after work I will coat the top. Sunday I plan to start the crosses. That's the plan.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14308.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1487419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35072.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1487420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76831.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1487421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53152.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1487422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68280.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1487423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne56113.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1487424  
Old 08-21-2010, 07:28 AM
TKFOKKER

I got up early this morning to apply a coat of varnish on the top of the wing. The bottom came out really nice. Looks like three coats will most likely do it. We'll see how it covers the paint for the crosses. It must have been quite a sight to see a whole squadron of these shiny wings out in the sun of a beautiful day back in 1918. I'm sure there will be a lot of modelers who don't realize that these wings were high gloss that will have some thing to say. So far I am very pleased with the results.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94320.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1487568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64607.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1487569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76355.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1487570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43569.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1487571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95812.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1487572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md51227.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1487573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91013.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1487574  
Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom
I have been following your build for quite a while, lurking in the background (mostly in awe!) Nice work, all the way through the build. Half scale all the way!
By the way, do you realize just how big the wing bag for this bird needs to be?
Cheers,
Art Shelton
ps when you see them at Rhinebeck, Paul and Barry will fill you in on the new, soon to be hatched Half Scale Club......the number of planned projects will amaze you
and you are the inspiration for at least some of them
Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM
TKFOKKER

Hi Art
Thanks for keeping up on my build. Actually I will be building a box to keep the wing in. It's the only way I'll be able to store it and move it around. I will be strapping it down on my truck racks. If I had a 16 ft trailer that would solve a lot of problems, but I don't. I've been hearing little bits here and there about the half scales. If I ever do another one it will be all wood and not so detailed. I was thinking maybe a Nieuport 11 or 17, That way I could make it as light as possible.
Tom
Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
normgoyer

Hi Tom, this is a problem I worry about because I fly large scale RC, no 1/2 scale yet but have been thinking about it. My problem is the perception that the Homeland Security and other fed maggots becoming more aware of the carrying capabiity of larger RC aircraft. Will this mean something to them that is completely foreign to what giant scale modeling is all about. Let's hope that the AMA has the cojones to stay on top of this possibility instead of answering with :"How High" and I don't mean altitude. Norm
Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
TKFOKKER

Norm
I believe the AMA already is against big airplanes as 1/2 scale. Just look at there rules governing them. It cost an arm and a leg just to put a radio system in one. Not to mention all the guide lines they have and tests.
As far as the government stopping us, Who knows these days what they'll do. They need to focus on more important things than model airplanes. Heck it's pretty easy to go and use a small Cessna as a weapon.
Tom
Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM
normgoyer

Tom, I don't follow rules very well and I for one would build and fly what I wanted to. Of course I live in the desert with dry lakes 10 miles long and several miles wide, plenty of remote flying sites. Let's hope they leave us alone. Already one aerobatic guy flew into a 3D model but in this case the full scale was way off base and the RC was where he was supposed to be Norm
Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM
TKFOKKER

I here ya Norm. I as well don't like to follow the rules so to speak. That's why I plan on just putting a good straight forward old fashion radio set up in my Fokker. It will be 2.4 of course. Only down fall is I won't be able to fly in any AMA events.
Tom
Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM
TKFOKKER

Well I just got back from the craft store and picked up some artist brushes. Tomorrow morning I will begin the cross process. That means of course laying them out on to the wing and then hopefully the hand will be steady with the brush!!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
abufletcher

What kind of paint will you be using for the markings. Also is the boat varnish 100% fuel proof or is it more like fuel resistant (that is, ok as long as you wipe it down immediately after a flight)?

Those high gloss wings do look rather stunning and are sure to cause controversy since it goes against modeling common-wisdom. But it's clear from the original photos that the wings had a high gloss. What's the ultimate source for the colors? Are these just guestimations based on textual descriptions of are there any original color samples anyway. My understanding is that you followed Achim's build but where did Achim get his information.

Anyway, looks fantastic! You might not ever want to do another model this size and this detailed again, but you're sure set the bar for others to follow! Besides seeing you managing with 1/2 scale makes me think that 1/4 scale just might be possible for me!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
TKFOKKER

Hi Again Abu
Good to here from you.
I will be using just a basic multi purpose water base paint made by Rust-oleum, bought at Home Depot. I will be brushing by hand all markings. The Spar Urethane is from Minwax, it is called Helmsman. It has Exceptional protection from Sunlight, Rain and Moisture, and Temperature changes. It has ultra violet absorbers to help stop fading of the stains colors. And yes it is fuel proof. The colors actually came from stain packets made in Germany and were closely matched from the stain tables in the Fokker archives. Yes no one can truly say that these colors are absolute, but we can only do our best to recreate what Fokker did in 1918. I think that following Achim Engels gives me a better chance of doing it some what correct. After all he has all the sources that exist at his finger tips. One thing I did different from Echim is I balanced out my colors more on the wing. I have drawings from Dan-San Abbott on the wing's camouflage.
Jump in anytime. Thanks for the interest.
Tom
Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM
normgoyer

Looks like AMA control over special events might be slipping a bit as technology outpaces AMA changes. There also might be a change in the demographics of the doers and shakers in the industry. Hope it all irons out so we all can proceed with our modeling desires. I did two stories on Bryan's projects, one on his second D-VIII and one on his Sowith Tripe. I also did a story with his dad and the SE-5. Norm
Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Stunning work, Tom. My wife tells me that I take things way too seriously when I build my models. I plan to use you and this thread to convince her that I'm just an average builder. Maybe this tactic will eliminate the complaints that I never seem to escape on every new project I work on. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 AM
TKFOKKER

Carey
The wives can't seem to make up their minds! Some nights the wife wants to be alone watching her girly movie and asks me don't you need to work on your plane? Other nights she complains I never spend enough quite time with her. Go figure, That's women!!!!!! I'm on my second, so I've had some years of experience on this subject I guess. I've been building since 1981.
Tom
Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

rofl you guys just need to learn how to train them early on. I got mine trained so that i am always in the office or the shop at home and she never bugs me. then once in a while she wants to do something so i say sure  that makes her happy and she leaves me alone for another month lol.

Joe
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 AM
normgoyer

Tom, When I first met Tina and took her on our first date, a flight in my PT-26, I told her, " I am a pilot, I will always be a pilot, I own an airplane, I build model airplanes and am not going to change. Tina told me she loved to fly and will help me.. We were married a year later when she finished college. We were married 62 years, she passed away last year. Never once did she complain about my flying or building airplanes. The moral of the story, get it straightened out at the very beginning.

I flew an S. Calhoun Smith's Fokker D-fiii at the Willow Grove Navy AMA Nationals in the early 1960s, I crashed, I am still crashing Fokkers, Cubs and Corsairs but I am having a great time doing it. I am still playing with my toy airplanes. I still fly my friends full scale J-3 and his Cessna 180. Norm 84 and plan on getting older, not necessarly any smarter however.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Stachel

Norm,
Very sorry to hear of Tina's passing. Never knew her (or you) but you always spoke of her fondly in the magazines. I still have all of my RCSM issues from when you were the editor. Great stuff, you don't find that today on the newsstands. I appreciate all that you've done for the modelers; even as Mr. Nobody Modeler, I still know an enjoyable read, and you did some good stuff.
I even have the issue where Tom's Fokker D.VII was the feature! What a great model.
Tom, the E.V is looking absolutely fantastic, hoping to see it one day at Rhinebeck. Hope things are well on your end. Still restoring MB model Jeeps? My brother sold his to some guy in Holland. Now he's doing Norton motorcycles for fun.
Take care, Lyle
Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 PM
puplover

Norm,
Of all the real important things in life, looks like you and Tina got it right. Bless her soul. What a great example to set.
Keep building and crashing. My first Pup was from Cal Smith plans in 1973. They're a bit cut-up but I still have them.

Thanks for the sounding board Tom.

Jack
Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 PM
TKFOKKER

Norman
Sorry to hear of Tina's passing. Your doing what she would want, Keeping busy.
God Bless My Friend,
Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.