Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/2 Scale Fokker D-8

Hi Everyone, My name is Thomas Kosewski, from Sterling, Ma. Some of you might know me but I'm sure a lot do not. I started building models 35 yrs. ago Free flights first, then line control for a while. I got myself into the R/C side of things in 1981. Since I caught this disease, I started scratch building in 1982. I mostly scratch my airplanes than build kits. I have owned 3 Fokker triplanes, 2 D-7's, 1 D-8, A sopwith pup, an Albatros D5a, Newport 17 and many non-ww1 types. I'm crazy for the Fokkers. I have been very lucky to have been associated with the very talented Glenn Torrance founder, and owner of GTM models. We have had al ot of fun and hard ships together through the last 13 yrs. Top Guns, Dawn Patrols, Rhinebecks, and Trade shows have made for a lot of fun adventures. He has helped me numorous times on some of my best projects. My Fokker D-7 was the first to carry the lozenge printed fabric that he sells. We will both be attending this years Top Gun 2007. I'm the lucky guy who gets to fly his fantastic 1/3 scale fokker D-6 in team scale! So wish us luck. I have decided to post a few pic's of my old 1/4 Fokker D-7. I competed with this airplane throughout the years. it first flew in 1988. Did some tours on the Masters and AMA Nats circuit, was rebuilt and recovered and one final competition at the 2002 Top Gun. It was sold in 2003 to Jamie Johnson of Arizona Models. The 1/2 Scale Fok. D-8 project started as an idea I had in a hotel at the 2002 masters. Glenn, and Robert Cooper, and I were relaxing after a stressful day at TopGun and I said we need the WOW factor. Months later Glenn started ploting out the wing and handed the project over to me. He has been a great help with supplying the plans from his 1/4 scale blown up to 1/2. He also cut all the ribs, and supplied the plywood covering. Also many drawings and some cockpit parts. He so graciously came up with a twin 160 to pull her around in the air. Too bad there's no 1/2 scale covering!! The frame is in crome molly steel tube 4130, The tail is carbon fiber. I started this project 3 yrs ago, unfortunatly I lost all the early construction pic's of frame being jigged on an old computer which is KAPUT. So I'll just start with what I have for the past year. Hope you all enjoy this crazy project along with me. I'll try to answer all questions best I can. But understand there's not a lot of time left in a day to get this thing done for Dayton Ohio, Dawn Patrol!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75025.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	610344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu66428.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	610345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di98850.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	610346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ys50328.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	610347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It99850.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	610348  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Of57794.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	610349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ln99989.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	610350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp53994.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	610351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zy43587.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	610352  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/2 Scale Fokker D-8

Hi people, I ment to post at least one pic of the d-8 tonite I'll put some more pic's up tommorrow night. Thanks for looking, Tom

Name:	Bz77615.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	610363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16659.jpg 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	610364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx62444.jpg 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	610365  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I literally have no words! And this is from someone with 3000 posts on this forum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very impressive. I am just finishing my DVII with Glenns fabric. It is going well except for our cold weather. I think I have decided to wait with my dope until spring. I really wanted to get this done but it is really not possible with my current shop.
    Interesting how small that engine looks on the DVIII. It seems the prop needs more diameter. I look forward to watching this thread.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thomas,
    That is some outstanding work you are doing. It looks fantastic, and obviously you take a lot of pride in what you are doing. Keep up the good work and pictures.

Craig.
    Eat, Sleep, Fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's it! I'm ging back to ARFs!

It's hard for a New Hampshire native to say this to someone from Mass, but ---magnificent!
    Walt
    WT in Illinois

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To all of you who have posted a reply to my work, I Thank you for your gracous comments! It takes alot of research to build models with proper details to match a full size plane, And TIME as you all know. As to the size of the engine, Believe it or not this ZDZ 160 should fly this type even at 80 pounds without a problem so I've been told. The prop sticks out 6 inches beyond the cowls radius. After the engine has some time on it I will increase prop from 32, to 34 inches. As long as the RPM's don't drop too much. I'm hoping for a 70 pound finish weight on the fokker. There's alot to do. I have a lot of small detail construction photo's I plan to post. Today I hope to get her out side for some pic's. It's tough in a small shop to acomplish that with a fuse thats 10 feet long. Again Thanks Guys!! Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Amazing... Just wondering how much lead you are going to have to bolt to the firewall to get it to ballance....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Simply amazing. Please donate them to the Smithonian Air and Space so people all around the world can admire their beauty and your immaculate workmanship. DP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scalebirdman

Amazing... Just wondering how much lead you are going to have to bolt to the firewall to get it to ballance....
    Oh, he's probably got an all-metal scale dummy LeRhone to take care of that!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The DVIII's looking really great Tom, can't wait to see it in the air.
    Heard you were going to try to have it at the Dayton Dawn Patrol this year??
    I assume you will do the four color streaking on the wing??
    Keep up the good work.

Del
    FOKKERS FOREVER

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tom,

This is High Five here. You might remember me from some of the past fly-ins. I was the one with the home made ear muffs at one of the fly-ins we both attended a few years ago. I did not get much sleep that weekend though due to what sounded like two pigs fighting in the parking lot of the hotel we both stayed at. I never figured out what that was. I talked to another gentleman that stayed there and he also awoke to horrific loud noises. Did you ever find out what was making that noise?

Can't wait to see the finished product. Great detail and workmanship.
    Do you think you will be flying it at Dayton? That is sure to be the highlight of the model flying if so.

See ya at Dayton,
    High Five
    P.S. Any TIPS you have for me would be great!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Tom,
    I see you figured out the posting. The pictures look great. I can’t want to see more more more. Let me know if you need any help with anything else building or posting. At some point you have to head over to help me with me paperwork.

Mark
    Ok which dot up there is mine?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi everyone, Including you Mr. High Five!! On the weight to balance, Well the tail is all made up of carbon fiber, and I plan to put all batteries on the firewall. Including the spark advance system. I'm hoping with a dummy engine which I have not started yet, it will balance out some what with out adding alot of extra lead. And yes the plan Del is to fly it at Dayton this fall, but who knows at this stage in the game there's alot to do with finishing and test flying. I will say this the airplane will be there finished to fly or not. Del Nice to have you post a hello. I've been watching your build. Very nice work, the triplane I know will be perfect! The wing will be streaked as the real one, acually I was supposed to be the first to do that with this aircraft but I didnot get the project done in time before the puplic found out about the wing streaking. Glenn had given me all the data long ago. So Del you beat me to it!!! Good job too! Mark, Thanks for helping me on figuring how to start up this post, I got the building down though,I'd be happy to help you with your documentation. Nice to have people who are willing to donate time on any project! Oh ya for anyone who is wondering what the heck Danny Allen is talking about two pigs fighting in the parking lot, That was me snoring at Top Gun while he and Glenn where trying to sleep!! I'm not that bad Danny??? Here's some more pic's, Enjoy and Thanks all, Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PIC'S

Name:	Wt59343.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	610920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb90270.jpg 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	610921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di99994.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	610922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Au57608.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	610923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz30540.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	610924  

Name:	Wn85676.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	610925  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Tom - glad to see you got around to post some photos... Looks good. I noticed the compass and quadrant are now mounted. How about some photos ? Like to see some more detail comments on some of the photos you have. It's sort-of hard to judge the size of all of this. Looks rather large. Now we just need the AMA to raise the weight limit. Oh, I will add this link on my website so all can see your marvelous work... - Glenn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Glenn Thanks as always, I gotta learn how to work these build alongs. The last photo's I posted are, A pic of the ammo box inwhich the front and rear panel were supplied by GTM Models. You can also see how I mounted my fuel tank to the rear of my fire wall. The brass tube clamps are typical for holding anything that is mounted to the steel frame. also the strap type used for the mounting of the ammo and spent shell boxes. All are scale applications as to the full scale, just different material used. The seat mount is totally funtional, the seat can raise up and down just like the real one! Glenn has helped in printing my face plates for all my gauges, tommorrow I will hopefully start working on the tach, and fuel guage. If all goes as planned I hope to have the fuselage done by middle or end of march. That will give me 4 months to finish wing and cover and paint. NOT MUCH TIME !!!!!! Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good evening people, Tonite I decided to post the compass and throttle. The compass was 80% kit form from glenn. I changed a couple things not much. It is a really great addition to the cockpit. Next is the throttle quadrant. I made it completely from aluminum. iam presently working on finishing up the construction of the dummy fuel tank and gauge along with the hood that goes over it incorrperated with the upper forward fairing. I might post some more later tonite. Tom

Name:	Lj21404.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	611699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy80374.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	611700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu50311.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	611701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bv60019.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	611702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kv15599.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	611703  

Name:	Kb44046.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	611704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tv38700.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	611705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ts62153.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	611706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sr18358.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	611707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rd32844.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	611708  

Name:	Hn63055.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	611709  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tom, where are you getting a pilot figure and wheels. i am doing a 1/2 scale eindecker. thanks barry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Barry, The wheel I already have. The rims are a speacial light weight strong aluminum. GTM hooked me up with them. They are 12.5 inches. The tires are from walmart, they are white with the treads ground off. They will be dyed gray with gray shoe dye. On the subject of a pilot I plan on making my own. No one makes them Right!?? How far along are you on your fokker? I would love to see some pic's. Did you do a steel fuse? What will you be using for power? Good luck on your build, Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys, Here I've posted some photo's of the spent shell box mountings. Next to it the ammo box.

Name:	Cz80052.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	612258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je10025.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	612259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af88670.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	612260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey70599.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	612261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bn77183.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	612262  

Name:	Md50599.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	612263  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a couple of the wing as it stands today. These pic's aren't too clear cause I took them from a print I already had. The wing will be 14 ft. at finish. I plan on adding alot of carbon fiber to the construction of the wing still. It will than get covered in 1/32 ply. The finish will have the streaking of brown and green on top and blue and purple on the bottom. Tom

Name:	If10930.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	612266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64555.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	612267  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too will be looking for a pilot. I am building a 1/2 scale Pup.
    Cheers, Dave.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TKFOKKER

On the subject of a pilot I plan on making my own. No one makes them Right!??
    Do you know these guys Tom? AH Design - The pilot people - These pilots are pretty good, I ordered myself a 3/5 scale full body pilot for my own Fokker D-VIII project in scale 1/3.5.

Teus.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh my good Lord,,,,, What a work of ART
    Doesn\'\'t \"expecting the unexpected\"
    Make the unexpected expected?

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast