Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Koverall or Stits lite

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Koverall or Stits lite

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 PM
10-300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koverall or Stits lite

HI guys

I need an opinon on which covering is better koverall or stits lite. I'm not sure which one I should use. I'm building a D-7 and I will be painting it. I like the stits covering and i have ordered some to test on a wing panel. But Koverall has come to mind as well. Also has anyone used the rib stitching tap from the guy in canada? and how do you like it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Louie [8D]
Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Koverall or Stits lite

I haven't used stitts covering but I have used Koverall and I liked it. I'd guess that neither one is better than the other.. maybe each is just a little different. If you do a good job of covering and prep both will give you a good finish.

I made my own rib stitching which ends up very much like the product being made by the guy in Canada. Your problem is that I think the Germans used a different stitch pattern. From what I remember their's is in the form of a Z rather than the other method of line with a knot in the middle.

Making the Z pattern isn't too difficult. You might space nails on a board the correct shape and lengh of your wing cord. Wind the thread around the nails to establish the Z pattern until you have a completed Z thats long enough.

I'm thinking hair spray would sufficiently harden the thread so it would hold it's shape. Then give it a lite coat of 3M spray and apply to the rib.
Cover your stitching with colored ribbon from a fabric store or dye your pre cut strips of your own fabric covering with rit dye.

There may be much better methods out there to accomplish the same thing.. this is what I came up off the top of my head.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:13 PM
10-300

thanks Bob,
Old 02-15-2007, 07:57 PM
camdyson

Bob,

Could you elaborate on the "Z" pattern for the rib stitching? Would this apply to an Eindecker too then?

Cheers,

Cameron

p.s. Louie - I've used Koverall and liked it alot. Suggest use a heat-activated glue (eg Balsarite) to apply with an iron, rather than doping it on though.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:31 PM
BobH

Cam I'm not a German stitching Master but when doing research into the stitching on an Albatross that's one thing I noticed. Then in a discussion with a friend he said the same stitching was on the Dr1. So Im beginning to think it was kinda standard on German aircraft. Essentially the stitching has a horizontal line across the rib and then a diagonal and another horizontal.. etc all the way from the leading edge to the trailing edge..

The guy I would ask who would know for sure is Glenn Torrence.. He is a German Plane Master!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cam,

If you will check with one of the larger stores such as Michaels, or see if you can find the website for either Gingher, or Wiss, you will find that they offer a set of pinking shears that has a smaller notch. This notch is only about 1/16" and you can cut the pinking tape from the Koverall. Probably from the Stitts lite as well. I bought a set of them several years ago, and they have served me well. It looks correct at the trailing edges of the wings, and the other lapped seams too.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 AM
BobH

Bill he isnt asking about the rib tape (at least I dont think he is) he's asking about the rib stitching. The German stitching was different than the Allies.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:14 PM
10-300

Yeah I was thinking of using Sig's stix it for the Koverall or I may try polytac. I haven't used either covering. I have a crashed wing from a friend who was going to trash the wing and I took the wing home cut in half and Im going to cover one with stits lite and the other with koverall. Then I'll see. All you guys gave me some good ideas. About that Z pattern for the rib stitching I'll have to do some research. thats good information, I didn't know about that. so that's a horse of a different color now! I think I should call Glenn torrance and have a chat. I do have a way to go, I only just finished the tail and will probable start the wings this weekend. Next weekend is the Wram show so I wont get anything done that weekend.

Thanks guys
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: BobH

Bill he isnt asking about the rib tape (at least I dont think he is) he's asking about the rib stitching. The German stitching was different than the Allies.
The best rib stitching isn't worth a tinker's damn without the correct pinking tape over the stitch. So there [:'(]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ps ...Are you the same BobH that does the ARF rebops?????
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

I have been using Koverall for many years, when it comes to open construction, that is al I use.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:58 PM
BobH

LOL WWI planes didn't use pinked tape!
Although the Albatross Stropp which hangs in the Smithsonain Air and Space does have pinked tape. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps the some of the German MFgs used it? I know the UK Mfgs did not.

No I don't do arf rebops (what are they any way?).
Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Don't think he rebops, but watch out for a "snoddleing".
Old 02-20-2007, 09:48 PM
BobH

Laffs! B. good to see your still alive n kicken!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:36 PM
harleywings

kestrel0222
Could you give any helpful hints on the KOVERALL ???? Hits and Misses. My project is a 1/4 scale Piper Tri-Pacer or PA 22.
I have acces to older fabric covered aircraft so I have a good idea what is involved. Any tricks for stitching ????. I have scratch built
many aircraft but have always used the painted or the plastic materiels.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Stickbuilder

I'm not Kestrel, but if you will check out the WACO YMF thread in the Vintage and Antique forum, you may find exactly what you want.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-21-2007, 10:57 PM
BobH

Stitching is pretty easy to simulate. You can buy premade stitching from a guy in Canada. ( http://home.cablerocket.com/~scaleribstitch /) Or.. you can make your own like I did.

I used the technique mentione here ( http://www.glue-it.com/aircraft/gene...stitching.html ) with a small modification. Instead of paper like mentioned in the article I used the same fabric I was covering the plane with. I also stuck down my "stitches" to that fabric with some Spray 77 by 3M with the adhesive side of the fabric facing down. That way I could use a small sealing iron to attach the entire stitch to the wing covering. On top of that I added the "rib tape" and ironed that down.. The entire affair looks pretty good after you're finished.

Hopefully you can see some of the stitching I've included in the two photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58954.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	626990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx32174.gif
Views:	87
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	626991  
Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 PM
harleywings

Thank you Bob H. and Bill the information you sent my way was very useful to me and my quest.

THANKS