Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Piper PA 12 Super Cruiser

I'm interested in gathering data for a someday project, a 1/5th scale Piper Super Criser PA 12. I built a Jetco Super Cruiser as my first R/C project. This model never flew and I don't really remember if I actually finished it. I have always thought this airplane was very sexy. Does anyone know where referance materials might be located for this bird. As well as having a strong interest in World War One Aeroplanes, I also love fabric covered general aviation aircraft from the classic period.
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Piper PA 12 Super Cruiser

Forgot to subscribe to my own thread, Duh!
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is a plan & cowl for a 1/5 scale 85 inch span Super Cruiser published by Flying Scale Models in England. David Boddington design in Jan/ Feb and March/ April issues 1999.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a nice article talking about the PA-12 and how it fits in with the other Pipers:

http://www.airbum.com/articles/Artic...HighWings.html
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mode One--get a load of THIS PA-12; full span flaperons, anti vortex wingtips, a drooped leading edge and tundra tires, plus that one item you can't do without in the bush, the rifle in a tote stuck in the jury struts. I'll bet this thing could land or take off from a football field and still clear the goalpost:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91993.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	626157  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's pretty! Seems to have a Citabria rudder. I'm partial to the original cream and red color scheme.
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I won a set of "Flying Models Magazine's" plans on Ebay for a Piper PA 12. I see that Fiberglass Specialties offers a cowling for this model. Has anyone purchased parts from this company and if so, what did you think?
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought a cowl for a 1/4 scale J3 from them and was impressed with the quality.

Bud
    \"The propeller is the fan that keeps the pilot cool, turn it off and watch him sweat\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 85" PA-12 plans and construction article are available from "Flying Models" magazine. I believe "Flying Models" still has the '85 or '86 back issue available. I also have a kit of this PA-12 by Champion Models (out of business). The Fiberglass Specialties cowling for this PA-12 is of excellent quality.

Max

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mode One

I'm partial to the original cream and red color scheme.
    Like this one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11009.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	627728  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, that one, or the Cub yellow and red. I'm gathering good info from various places. Anyone build a Suber Cruiser?
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nanavion46, I have purchased a set of the 1/5th scale plans from Flying Models Magazine for this airplane from someone on Ebay. Once I get them, I will start collecting information. It appears this is one of the lesser built Piper models. Since I started in this hobby I have been amazed at the attention the J-3 gets, how many manufacturers offer this airplane, some in several sizes, while other models from Piper get little or no attention. The Super Cruiser is obviously one of these airplanes!
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mode One, I would suggest you obtain the excellent '85 - '86 "Flying Models" magazine construction

article. Lots of construction photos.... If you can't obtain the original back issue, I would be most happy to copy the article plus the construcion instructions from my "Champion/Davey Systems kit for you. Champion/Davey Systems kitted the PA-12 after it appeared in "Flying Models" magazine. In my opinion, this is the best set of plans or kit around for the PA-12. It includes a scale cockpit door. I want to also build a J5A Pipoer Cruiser and a PA-14 Piper Family Cruiser from the plans. Nanavion46.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How interesting! The actual Flying Models plans and model are mentioned in Model Aviation this month! Nanavion46, yes, I would be interested! I'll email or PM you! This is the March, 2007 issue on page 115.
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a full size Piper Super Cruiser, N3997M, which I keep in a hangar in Groveland Fl, about 40 nw of Orlando. I am currently also building the vintage kit of the Super Cruiser, made by Sterling in the 60's. It has a 72 inch ws. Unfortunately, some fuselage parts(parts # 3) Is there anyone out there with such akit from whom I caan copy the parts. It would be greatly apprectiated

Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, I had totally forgotten about this thread! Dermpilot, you must have done some digging to get to this thread.

It's been a couple of years ago now; but, I found a Davey Systems/Champion kit, made from the Flying Models Construction article in that Magazine on Ebay and paid the Buy-it-now price for it. When I build it, I'm going to document all parts, so it can be reproduced.

This isn't the Sterling kit, so I can't help you.
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Frank,

I have an unbuilt new in box Sterling PA-12 Super Cruiser (kit FS-8). Problem is I live in Sweden...
    Can I help in some way?

/Bo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I drew auxillary plans data for a 1/6 version to convert a Sig Cub. I have the cowl plug made but not the molds to make more. If interested give a shout. Mine even has a functional door and door handle qand a tow release! Like you, I will do the classic red and cream colour scheme.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ARUP, my kit is 1/5th scale. It has material for a balsa/plywood cowl; but, I think Fiberglass Specialties also carries the cowl for this kit.
    Plane crazy!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all, I just acquired a nearly built Piper Super Cruiser . This is the 1/5 scale model kitted by Champion Model airplane Company.

Can anyone tell me how old this kit might be? I'm also looking for info on balance point since I have the kit box but no plans.

Thanks,
    Duradad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Duradad,

The kit came out about 1986. There is a construction article of this kit in a 1986 issue of "Flying Models" magazine. I have two of these kits and several issues of the Flying Models' magazine construction article which has many pictures. If someone else doesn't give you the balance point shortly, let me know and I'll get into the "archives" and get you the balance point.

Regards, nanavion46

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dermpilot,

Have you found the pattern for fuselage former #3 for your 72" Sterling kit of the PA-12? I have this kit and probably could scan the part for you. Let me know.

nanavion46

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Nanavion46!

I appreciate the help that is available on this site! I am just getting back into the hobby after about 10 years and on a limited budget. I have restored and am flying some of my older niro models. But, I have no experience with larger models like this, nor 4 strokes

I'm not familiar with how to get the Flying Magazine archive articles like the one your mentioned, but would like to do so.
    I found that the wing struts are missing. I am also missing the front and side glass. The Cowl is by Fiberglass Specialties, but needs to be trimmed for final fit. I was hoping that the article would include reduced size plans and give me these details that I need, besides the CG point.

The specs on the box suggests 81/2 to 10 lb flying weigh, but doesnt suggest and engine size. I have a few older .60 nitro engines which I use on older pattern ships and , I suspect , should be enough power. But, if I can find a good deal on a 4 stroke, which one would you suggest that would fit inside the cowl?

Thanks again!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Duradad,

The six page PA-12 construction article is in the September, 1986 issue of "Flying Models" magazine. The article does show the complete plans in reduced size. These reduced plans and construction article will answer all the questions you asked me including CG, engine size, wing strut details, etc. I don't know if "Flying Models" has this back issue in stock. I would be most happy to either scan and email the article or snail mail you a copy. If you will send me your email address, I will scan and email the article tonight or tomorrow. My email address is: thewalkers17@verizon.net.

nanavion46

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If anyone is interested I have both the plans and construction article. These are in addition to the kit and so are not needed. If interested, PM me.
    Plane crazy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast