Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 1/3rd scale Sopwith Triplane

Nice, David. Let me know how the maiden goes.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took the Tripe to the field this evening, great weather, just a light wind right down the runway. My wife and daughter were my pit crew who did a great job helping me with the (usually) half hour assembly of the plane. A couple club members showed up to put thier .02 worth in and watch the fun. The G62 fired on the first flip with the choke closed, after opening the choke and restarted it fired up and sounded goooood. Soon however it started to sound lean on the high end so I stopped it and adjusted the carb. I never got it started again. After a bit a sweat (flipping) I noticed that there was a crack on the magneto mount, infact both ends of the magneto mount were cracked....truth to tell, both ends and nearly the entire back of the magneto mount was cracked, it was flexing so much that when the magnets came around they would scrape. I guess that "good deal" on a used motor was not really such a good deal after all I will try to fix it tommorow (jury rig a brace, etc) and hope to have it in the air in the evening. If I fail, wouldnt be surprised at this point, I will order an EI ignition conversion kit for it. I only have a few weeks before I leave for Germany (the whole summer) so I really wanted to have a few flights on the plane and then do the detailing before I left. We will see. Stay tuned to this Bat Channel for more updates. It sure do look big and purdy at the field though
Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Prop Nut

I dont know if it was from damage or not, there is no evidence of any but it had to crack somehow. I am going to give the guy I bought it from the benifit of the doubt, he was very helpful and we talked several times on the phone. He supplied step by step directions on operating this engine (every engine wants to start differently and reacts in various ways to the enviroment). If indeed he did know about the damage? Well, time wounds all heals.

But, on a happier note, I FIXED IT! I milled an aluminium plate (3/8 inch) that fit the contour of the broken mount, then tapped both the remaining mount (on the motor) and the broken part into the plate. I used 8-32 bolts to fasten everything together and it starts and runs great. I let it run at full throttle (nearly) for a tank of fuel (24oz) and then idle for several more minutes with fresh fuel. It really vibrates at an idle and there was no movement of the new mount. The repair was much easier than I feared. I am getting 5600 RPM at nearly full throttle (I lose a bit wide open) on a 24x8 schimitar pro prop. I hope to get out today again and try for a first flight. I need to check the weather report, its a bit cold and breezy (with gusts) and clouds are moving in. I dont want to be trapped disassembling this plane in the rain, it takes way too long :P

David
Old 05-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Prop Nut

By the way, it FLYS!!!!!! WooT!!!

The Tripe handles perfectly on the ground, its a real kitten.

Take off was straight down the runway with no deviation and it lifted itself off the ground soon after the tail came up. (the subsiquent flights I held it on the ground for a cooler takeoff roll) Once up it will climb like a monkey with very little up elevator.

The Ailerons are a little disapointing as I made them a bit larger so I would have more control than the full scale seemed to have but, like the full scale, they have little effect without rudder input, no big deal but I will not be doing quick rolls, etc. (Duh! Its not a 3D plane David!!! just gotta keep telling myself that )

I had a nasty cross wind out of the north, but you only see this after you are up about 40 feet or so as we are well shielded on the ground by large trees on both sides of the runway. It crabbed horribly (ok, it really looks cool on the landing stage of the flight) and didnt really want to turn as that huge tail/flat body wants to catch the wind. After I got used it all was well and I started to have fun.

Landing was pretty simple, point it at the runway, chop the throttle and wait for it to settle down, it would much prefer to stay up there though :P

All in all, I am very very very happy with it. Now for paint.

I do have video that I will post as soon as I have a chance to go through it and edit out the blank sky parts. A friend was using my camera to do the video and wasnt happy about the features availible on it. Just like an RC pilot, its the machines fault! Not Mine!!

David

Hmm, doesnt seem to be much interest in the tripe, or is everyone just out flying?
Old 05-09-2008, 05:29 PM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, a big hardy congratulations.........Can't wait to see the video

Del
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Prop Nut

Thanks Del, I was greatly relieved that it actually flew. I admit that I had my doubts about that guy who designed this thing, he looks a bit dodgey if you ask me

Well, here it is. Sorry for the poor quality, we were using my digital still camera in video mode.
The final landing sequience is cut off as the plane went behind me into the very tall grass at the end of the runway and flopped over on its top. I wouldnt mind showing the plane flopping over as it was pretty cool actually and nothing was hurt (Even the horribly expensive prop!) but I really dont want to see myself on camera :wacko:

I did break one flying wire but that is an easy fix and it did what it was supposed to.

All is well and I am going to dismantle the plane down to the bare fabric (all hardware off) and paint the darn thing. I am going with Krylon and hand painted rondels (sp?)

David

http://media.putfile.com/13rd-scale-...er-106wingspan
Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Prop Nut

For some reason the link will not work from RCU, it works just fine from other forum sites...
Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 PM
smcouch77

Congratulations, David!! I'm glad to hear that your maiden flight was a success! I'm really looking forward to the painting and details.
Steve
Old 05-10-2008, 03:42 AM
TomCrump

Congratulations, David. Glad that it went well for you.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:11 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Prop Nut
Hmm, doesnt seem to be much interest in the tripe, or is everyone just out flying?
I step away from RCU for a couple of days and there you are FLYING your Tripe! Congrats on a successful maiden and on a great model. I'm sure you'll miss her sorely while you're away. And I don't mean your wife.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:21 AM
Teus

Congratulations, David

Your plane is looking great in the air. You did a great yob. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Teus
Old 05-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Prop Nut

Thanks everyone, my perma-grin is starting to wear off I will start painting on Monday (along with several other chores that I have written down for me)
Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 AM
1bruno

David, Congratz on a successful flight. I cant wait to see it when you got the plane painted. Hey any chance you want to sell copies of your plans?????
Glen B.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Prop Nut

Hi Glen, I would if I had any, I pretty much made things up as I went along. I started with a set of cad drawings for a 28" electric Tripe and scaled things up, reenforced here and there, and generally closed my eyes and hoped it would all work out. I would do the wings differently, they are very light but not very rigid.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Prop Nut

Well, here she is in all her glory. Well...I still need to do the N500 and Sopwith company logo but they are on the way ( a buddy of mine is making me stencils). I am hoping for good weather this weekend so I can fly it again a few more times. The wood is cherry, leather for the cockpit combing and along the cherry veneer on the sides of the fuse (to hide my really poor trim job). My wife is standing behind the plane to give it scale. Yes, she is really short

Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 PM
abufletcher

I just wanted to point out that it is a historically established fact that Snoopy flew a Camel!

Seriously, your tripe came out great and looks like it would be a kick to fly!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Prop Nut

Thanks Don, lets see if I can keep it in one piece long enough to take it to Hoosier Dawn Patrol in Muncie in August.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
TomCrump

She looks great, David. The model isn't bad, either.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Prop Nut

Thanks Tom, I am sure glad to have it finished. I am not sure I will take on another project like that again, I think I would be happy following someone elses plans for a while.

I had a great flight on the Tripe today, it was pretty windy but it was coming right down the runway. The plane took off in about 3 feet! I was a bit worried that the wind would suddenly stop and drop my plane to the groud (from about 3 feet) but the motor is plenty strong and it had no problem pulling the Tripe up and away. It sure looks good in the air with full war paint. Here are a couple of low res (a buddy took the pictures with his cell phone as I forgot my camera) pictures of the machine gun, I made it using bits of balsa and a paper towel tube.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Prop Nut

Thread done! Thanks to everyone that has commented with suggestions or just to say "hey".

Everyone have a good summer, I will try to check posts once in a while from Germany.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Prop Nut

Well, not exactly finished...here is a video of my flight on the Tripe Sunday. It was a wonderful day

http://media.putfile.com/Sopwith-Triplane-in-13rd-scale
Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM
smcouch77

Great video of a beautiful plane!! Thanks for sharing it with us. Fantastic sound too!
Steve
P.S. Threads never really end. They just rest for a while
Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
nicostoffi

Nice flight.

I hope you get a lot more good flights and landings.

Greetings.

Klaus
Old 07-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Prop Nut

Thank you Klaus, and I hope to get down to your house sometime next weekend or so to look at your fleet of planes.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Richbailey

Hello, great job on your Trip! I’m building one
. 80” Would like to speak to you!
907-723-8860
Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.