Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Engine for Top Flite SE5a help

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Engine for Top Flite SE5a help

Old 07-08-2022, 11:15 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine for Top Flite SE5a help

I really tried searching for an answer to this, but topics that come up seem to go sideways after 6-10 posts and no real answer comes from it.

So to explain what I am looking into is an engine to fly a Top Flite SE5a.
Plane has a 53" span and is around 1,000 square inch wing area.
Dave Platt designed it back in the late 60's or early 70's when .60 engines were loop scavenged. Most notable were the K&B 61. Webra .61, OS 60 and Super Tigre 60 engines that were quite powerful for their time.

I am pretty much decided on the OS FSa 72II 4 stroke mainly because it fits under the cowl...............Yes I know the price is absurd, but this will be one of the last 5 planes I build and fly as I am 67 now and just don't see letting cost ruin my funName:  biggrin.gif
Views: 108
Size:  1.0 KB

I also haven't been active in RC since 2012 so I do not know how much power modern 4 strokes put out these days.

Am I at least on the right runway with thinking the OS 72 will have the power needed to fly this plane vs an old 2 stroke 60 of the time era?

Really appreciate any input you all might be willing to share,
Mike