Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

all metal airplanes 2

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

all metal airplanes 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 03:49 PM
allmetal plane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all metal airplanes 2

Hello once again!!! aluminum airplanes are fun to build and fly, they are crowd pleasers!!

There is the wrong idea around regarding all aluminum RC airplanes, Long time ago, I built a .60 size allmetal airplane, It only weighted 8 pounds!! not too bad for a 72 inches wigspan!!!

My third scale homebuilt spans 95 inches, wing chord is 16, it only weighs 16 pounds!!!

If proper building procedures are used when building aluminum airplanes, the result will be a nice flying machine, of course, you cannot compare a balsa/monokote airplanes vs metal ones!, so do not expect to have the same weigh and...........looks!!

carlrangel
Old 04-10-2003, 10:48 PM
seafurymike

where's the pictures?????
Old 04-11-2003, 09:47 AM
heavy date-RCU

Default They are just awesome!

I have seen these planes in a model mag and they look awesome. I would like to try it sometime myself. As I recall he makes each part from the factory erection manual so each part is a smaller copy of the real part. You have to see his formers!

Please do put up some photos and maybe some advice on haow it is done.
Thanks, Hans
Old 04-11-2003, 11:31 AM
ngr1
My Feedback: (2)

Default All metal model

Hi Carlos, I have an article about you from Model Airplane News that was published in 1992. And after reading it over many times I have always been tempted to contact you in order to obtain more information regarding your construction methods. I think I speak on behalf of everyone at RCU that we appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with all metal model aircraft.

In my mind building an all aluminum model is very similar to balsa construction except for making flanges on formers and ribs so that aluminum sheeting can be riveted to them.

If you could provide some information and possibly more photos of your construction techniques and materials used it would be interesting reading for all of us.

Thanks

Norman
Old 04-11-2003, 08:48 PM
allmetal plane

Thanks to all who have sent messages. I will do my best to answer to each one of you...Thanks for your interest!!

Carlos
Old 04-12-2003, 03:30 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about the radio signal. Did you have to have an external antenna. I am very interested in this subject as I have a great source for lithoplate. Would love to see some pics and hear about how you fasten panels, etc.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-12-2003, 07:07 PM
allmetal plane

Default metal planes

I have not have any problem with radio signals with my airplanes, remember, full size airplanes have large amounts of metal, Yet they have all kinds of radio equipement if properly installed.

Lithoplate is a good option for a metal airplane, remember be careful with the weight, combining lithoplate and balsa and contact glue as they acumulete weight before you know it!!

I rivet together skin panels to the basic aluminum frame acording to blueprints, and then, you are done!! no sanding!!
Old 04-13-2003, 12:22 AM
The PIPE

Default Just wondering-did you see THIS metal RC model project yet???

Dear Allmetal Plane:

The PIPE here again-and at http://cebudanderson.com/quarterscale.htm there's been an ongoing project involving the construction of an RC Giant Scale Mustang there-and THAT one is all metal, too!

Just wasn't sure if you've seen THAT one yet..it's gonna be a BIG one!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:35 PM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: all metal airplanes 2

ORIGINAL: allmetal plane

Hello once again!!! aluminum airplanes are fun to build and fly, they are crowd pleasers!!

There is the wrong idea around regarding all aluminum RC airplanes, Long time ago, I built a .60 size allmetal airplane, It only weighted 8 pounds!! not too bad for a 72 inches wigspan!!!

My third scale homebuilt spans 95 inches, wing chord is 16, it only weighs 16 pounds!!!

If proper building procedures are used when building aluminum airplanes, the result will be a nice flying machine, of course, you cannot compare a balsa/monokote airplanes vs metal ones!, so do not expect to have the same weigh and...........looks!!

carlrangel
carlrangel,

I am very interested in your comments in these posts. Do you have any more info/pics/website on all metal RC planes??

Regards,

James.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Carlos--are you a JAARS pilot? If so, I've met a few of your cohorts at an airshow and even got an awesome Courier ride from one out of a local grass strip. I've seen your website a while back and was totally stunned by the workmanship. Puts balsa-and-Ca to shame
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be a lot more willing to build with aluminum if I could just glue the parts together (for example with epoxy). An all-metal Junkers would be awesome!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 AM
CliffordH
My Feedback: (9)

AB,
Have you looked at the site for Nelson Hobby? He is working on a kit for a scale Champ and his fuselage is constructed from tubing. Jerry talks about the epoxy he used on the tubing and says he is pleased with it. You might give it a look.

Cliff
Old 12-15-2007, 09:19 PM
cmartin3977

Hi Carlos,
I saw that picture of your recent project in FLYRC I believe. Looked great. An all aluminum Piper cherokee is still on my to do list......

I would be worried about using epoxy to glue the plane together due to the epoxy getting brittle over time and letting loose. Plus Rivets are more scale and would probably hold up better over time. Its too bad carlos isnt for hire as I would own one by now.