Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What Primer for Fiberglass??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What Primer for Fiberglass??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Primer for Fiberglass??

What primer works best for a model that have been glassed? I have been using the Dupli-Color aerosol cans of the hi-build sandable primer, but that stuff is just getting too expensive. I have compressor and a detail gun so I am looking something I can shoot. I would rather not use a catalyzed product, but something that is hi-build and easy to sand.
Thanks
Old 03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: What Primer for Fiberglass??

Ive used Dupont 303s Primer with pretty good results. You buy it at a automotive paint store.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:03 AM
johnnylwhite
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep Terry, the Dupont 303 is the one to go with. Thins w/ Laquer and dries fast. They have it at Auto Paint here in town and.....being the PENNY PINCHER you are.....they also have a "generic" brand which will save you some money!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
TLH101

Thanks Johnny " I can only land left to right" White [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 AM
TLH101

BTW, I'm not cheap, I'm "Frugal".
Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Dai Phan

I use Duplicolor High Fill Primer (gray). Dries really fast and sands great! Love that stuff. DP
Old 03-08-2007, 04:17 PM
TLH101

Actually, I meant to say Dupli-Color in my first post. Problem is Wal-Mart has quit carrying it and the auto supply stores want nearly $5 a can. That gets expensive on a 96" warbird. I will need 7-10 cans. However, it does work good, and I want something with the same characteristics.
Guess I'll give the 303s a try.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:15 PM
ma_mulcahy

Sorry for the basic question, but if primed with 303, what kind of color coats will bond well with that primer? Lacquer? Epoxy? Latex? Others?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have used enamels and laquers over the 303 primer. No doubt there are others too. Acrylics for example should work with no issues. Always test your paints/primers before putting them on a plane of you have any doubts.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 PM
alpinestar

Has anyone tried the Dupont 210s water-borne filler/primer?? I have been using a 2-part urethane primer (works great!) but I'm looking for something less "killer" that I can brush on in my basement. It's expensive but might be worth it... I'm experimenting with some dupli-color primer right now to see how it compares to what I'm used to.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

I know you said frugal, but I will still recommend PPGs K36 primer - which is a two part product. I once figured the cost of what you get from PPG in a small quantity versus the same amount in cans - the PPG actually works out to be cheaper. It is the closest I have found to the old K&B primer that is no longer made. The stuff is wonderful. I am going to be trying Nelson's water based epoxy primer in a bit - I have heard good about the product but not tried it yet. If you are considering finishing with latex, be careful with your primer. Some have wax as an ingredient to help with sanding - the problem is that it does not help with adhesion with latex paint.

Dan
Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 PM
alpinestar

Thanks RCPilot. You're only about 45 minutes from me; where do you go to buy your paints?? Is Painter's Supply in Jackson a good place to go??
Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Dan,
What is the selling price per gallon for the PPG K-36 primer?

NICK
Old 11-13-2007, 04:28 PM
alpinestar

Well, I stopped at the paint store intent on buying the K-36 or similar, and wound up with a quart of PPG ShopLine primer surfacer.... The guys at the store thought this primer would work great for the relatively tiny voids I'm trying to fill (0.6 oz glass). A quart of the stuff and catalyst cost about $25 out the door. Cheap!! If the weather holds, I'll spray in the next few days & post the results.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
RCPilot100

I see you already found Painters Supply in Jackson - I have bought from them both in Jackson & Ann Arbor. Let me know how the product you bought works. What I have found is to ask at the local paint shop - they know their business better than I do - and I assume they will do right by me because they want my repeat business. I don't recall what I paid for a quart of PPG K-36 - all I know is I bought a quart three years ago and still have a bunch left. Maybe it is supposed to go bad, but mine hasn't yet.

Dan
Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the only thing I have to say to you guys buying primer in Michigan is "Go Buckeyes!"
Old 11-13-2007, 08:06 PM
RCPilot100

There you go generalizing about those of us living in Michigan. Keep in mind that I just got back from a pilgrimage to the Holy Land where on Sunday the Vikings were given a football clinic by the best that ever was. I have season tickets and I own stock in the team. So much for my living in Michigan and assuming I am a big Michigan fan. They don't even have a professional team here. So think about who I was pulling for on Saturday. But you also have to realize that I will be pulling for Michigan to make it two losses in a row for Ohio - after paying the daughters tuition - I gotta pull for U of M once in a while, at least when they are not playing Wisconsin.

Dan
Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be a fantastic game. Your boy Mr. Favre is sure lightin' it up. I'm happy for him...quite the standup guy!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Hey Ya'll, Your talking about primers. I ran across one a while back that is fantastic. It is a great filler primer and sands easily. And cheap too. It is Nason primer. They make a really expensive one but the one I use is the less expensive one. The last can about a month ago was $12 a quart. You mix it 50/50 with laquer thinner and a quart goes a long way. It will really fill the weave on fiberglass.....
They will try to sell you a gallon of the really good laquer thinner and it cost more than the primer. But if you go to NAPA you can buy 5 Gallons of thinner for $25
With 2 good coats will fill most all imperfections
Ty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21055.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	803690  
Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 PM
alpinestar

I sprayed the first coat of the PPG "Shop Line" primer surfacer on today & this stuff works well. It dried fast enough that I could paint one side of the control surfaces, then the wing & fuse, then flop the control surfaces over & shoot the other side no problem (too lazy to fixture all the small parts just for primer!) I waited about two hours and the stuff sands great even with dry paper.

For what it's worth, my fiberglass method (after several versions) is unthinned z-poxy to attach the cloth, then z-poxy & LOTS of microballons for a second/fill coat of resin, then prime, fill any voids, sand, prime again, sand again, and paint.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

If you will use the epoxy to lay down the glass. then use Nason primer to fill the weave you can skip the microballon step.....
Old 11-14-2007, 04:20 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

For all of you thinking about Nelson's primer, I've been using it for years. It's very user friendly and is a two part primer that's water based. No fumes and clean up is super fast and easy. Although I've sprayed it, I've had very good luck just using a foam brush to apply it. No need to mask everything off. It flows out very well and sands like powder. But...make sure you let it cure for at least the recommended four hours. Otherwise you'll clog the sand paper. I've applied all types of paint over it and never had a problem. I think you'll like it. It fills better than anything I've used in my 50 years of painting models.

Paul
Old 11-14-2007, 05:01 PM
RCPilot100

Paul,

Good to hear about your experience with Nelson's product. Can't wait to finish what I am working on now so I can then use the Nelson stuff on my B-25. Thanks.

Dan
Old 11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Dan,

The primer is great. But, the paint is a different animal. Lot of bad press about it. But, I've had good luck with it. The secret is, you absolutely must follow Nelson's directions. You also need to shoot a lot of practice patterns on a test piece to get the spray gun adjusted correctly. I use a sheet of builders' foam since the paint is water based. It won't attack the foam. Once you get the gun adjusted, write down the settings BEFORE you disassemble it for cleaning or you'll never find the settings again. Also be aware, the lighter the color, the flatter the gloss. I find that white has little or no gloss, but red or black dry to a nice medium gloss. If you clear coat for gloss, don't over do it. One light coat is usually best. Too much and you'll ruin a nice paint job. Trust me, I know. I can tell you also that the paint will NOT stick to any primer except Nelson's. Don't be tempted to use anything else, including Rustoleum. His directions say Rustoleum will work. I've tried it twice with very bad results! A final note. If you let the paint dry for about 24 hours, it sands beautifully. In fact, after a day or so, the paint surface takes on a plastic quality.

Have fun,
Paul
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
RCPilot100

Paul,

I am seriously considering Nelson's paint for my 1/3 BUSA Cub. I intend to cover it with Cub Yellow fabric from BUSA and only paint what needs to be painted with Nelsons. If it doesn't match, then I will spray the whole thing with Nelsons.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.